Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
Burglar alarm

a question on the security: here in Germany and Western Europe some of RV owners have installed a burglar alarm system. So when any door or window is opened, the alarm goes off. Some have a backup with GPS, so that an alarm comes to mobile.

is something that absolutely necessary or generally regarded as luxury?

please excuse our bad english, we are out of practice ...
2009 Damon Challenger 377
2006 Jeep Liberty
Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club

I have one in my coach with a cellular transmitter for monitoring. I only feel the need to use it when it's in storage mostly. Besides the security it monitors for electrical failure as well and since I have a residential fridge that I leave on this is nice. I suppose if I broke down somewhere and had to leave the coach I may use it then as well. There have only been a few campgrounds where I felt compelled to arm the system while away. So do you need one? Well only you can answer that. We all have different levels of comfort.

2007 Allegro Bus 42 QRP, 400 ISL
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here in the states with the economy going down the drain RV break ins are getting more common. Most seem to be when the RV is in a storage lot or on a dealers lot. In the states most dealers and storage lots claim they are not responsible for thefts. Thieves are looking for high end electronics and other items easy to pawn.

So I would say that it depends on where you store your motor home and what you keep in it if you need an alarm or not. If you do decide to install one I would not skimp on the money and get one that sends a signal, video and sounds an alarm like a siren if I could find one. The main thing would be the siren to scare off the intruder and attract attention.

Good Luck,
Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by wardy
I have one in my coach with a cellular transmitter for monitoring.

May I ask what system you have?

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post

May I ask what system you have?

Sure Craig, it's a DSC Alexor wireless control with a DSC 3060 cellular communicator. You can add whatever you want in order to feel covered. I have a motion sensor plus door's. You can even add a moisture sensor, temperature, most anything really.
2007 Allegro Bus 42 QRP, 400 ISL
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
I used an Ademco "Home" panel with motion sensors and a fire sensor in the main area of the RV, and magnetic sensors on the basement/genny/engine bays. Two very loud sirens - one inside, one outside.

Total cost about $250 with my own labor to install.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
I would hope that any system installed in an RV is by far more fool proof than most auto systems. I would imagine that a false alarm in an RV park with the owners out touring in the toad would cause great concern among the campers and management, perhaps even creating a request to leave early. Many auto systems rely on voltage flux, such as opening a door and having the dome light illuminate, to set off the alarm. In a motorhome, voltage flux is common, when the pump cycles, frig cycles, inverter cycles, etc.
Just saying
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on where you park, Some places not only would I want a burglar alarm, I'd want a state trooper with a shotgun sitting on the couch. (I am, after all John from Detroit).

I'd got with an ultrasonic or infra red motion detector rather than door/window alarms, easier to install, harder to false. Or the half joke half true below.

The true part: You can actually buy this system

Imagine a burgler breaking into a house, He suddenly hears a dog growl and sees a Lab or Rott in full attack pose.. He cuts and runs, slipping on some of his brown slippery stuff as he runs off the proch, falls on his face and gets banged up.

Takes you to court for harboring a "Vicious dog" Now at this point the judge is fully briefed and has agreed to the dog and felon show.

You show a photo of the "Dog" to the burgler and ask if that's the animal that attacked him, He ackknowledges it is.. You tell the judge "I have concrete proof that my dog did not attack him" (Actually it's not concrete, more in a bit) The judge asks you to present it,, You say "Does not the accused have the right to confront his accuser?" judge agrees, And if my dog is found to be vicious will he not suffer capitol punishment? Again the judge agrees, So the dog should have the right to confront. Judge agrees, and orders bailif to bring in the dog.

Balif wheels in the statue of a dog, identical to photo, on a hand cart.

As I said your honor (Thunking statue) Concrete proof.

In reality, it's a plastic statue, motion detector eyes and a digitally recorded snarl.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote