Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Question Burglar proofing windows in RV

Does any one have any suggestions I could try? I now keep my windows closed and locked at night and have put a rod in the track. What do you do for the windows that pop out?

waywardwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:45 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
There is nothing other than metal clad shutters that will stop a determined Burglar to gain access to Your RV. An alarm system may be the best way to scare off an intruder!

If you are frightened to the point that You are unable to enjoy the RV ing experience You should find a different location to Park.

It's a shame If You find it necessary to shut out the great outdoors!

RobRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If someone wants to get in, they will find a way! The more secure something is, the more some think there are valuables inside. IF they insist on getting in, even more damage is done to gain entry. I have seen as much as $40k in damages to a coach from a break in (literal).
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #4
Locks are to keep honest people honest.A thief doesn't care how much damage he does to get in.I had one customer with a business that had a steel bar acriss his back door.It didn't stop the truck they used to back into the door.$5.00 from the soda machine and thousands in damage.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:44 AM   #5
How about a small sign in the corner of the window that reads:

"Nothing in here worth your life and I'm not afraid to go back to prison"

Seriously though, if someone wants in bad enough, they'll get in.

Good luck and stay safe.
Paul - WA1IWH

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
My four dogs seem to work just fine, especially my miniature poodle. He goes straight for the toes!
Richard and Mary Lou
2007 HR Scepter, 42PLQ
Supply Corps, USN Retired
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
We were broking into while the RV was in storage on the 2nd day. Yes, you can put up bars or rods in the track, but if they want in there goes the window.
Best thing is a alarm system with big signs in the window.
Our we worried about a break-in while we are living in the RV, Hmmm just a little about the mess we will have to clean up after the shot gun goes off.
2005 KSDP 3910-----2007 Jeep Liberty

read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #8
Freightliner Owners Club
Remember you may need to break in yourself one day!

Just had to do that in NC. Stopped the motorhome in the state park campground road to check out if we could fit in a site. We all filed out to form our opinions with the engine and the genset running. Son #2 slammed the door as trained because the AC was on and, boom, we were locked out in an instant. EVERYTHING was locked tight - tow car, MH storage with all the tools, and the running MH.

Fortunately we used a pocketknife to pry open the drivers window and we heaved 14-year-old son #3 through to rescue us. Glad I didn't have any bar laying in the track that would have prevented us from opening that window.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
There is nothing other than metal clad shutters that will stop a determined Burglar to gain access to Your RV.
I don't know... I know of a Shepard Lab Cross, jet black, that was "Sleeping" in a station wagon, interior also jet black,with a couple of kids, also jet black, tapped on the window just to see if they could get a rise out of the two police officers patrolling the parking lot (They were good kids, Just jiving a bit)

Well.. 1: the dog was NOT asleep
2: The dog announced his presense at just the right second

3: Two suddenly white kids proceeded to exit the parking lot at a speed approaching MACH-1

That said, I do not favor dogs in RV's... Too little space

However,, Thereis an option.

I also recall going to visit my parish priest.. And when you first set foot in the hall you froze.. The dog at the other end of the hall (Also a shepeard mix) was in attack post.

He was also plaster of paris.

Add motion detector eyes, an a recorded digital growl and you have a burgler alarm system that will TRULY alarm the burgler.

Someone actually makes one if I recall correctly.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
I had MH broken into, windows busted as well as my neighbors.
we now have a security at were I park it and seems to be good.
I do not even lock it no more and wen im at a camp ground I have my dog.
do not count the days make the days count
Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by waywardwind View Post
Does any one have any suggestions I could try? I now keep my windows closed and locked at night and have put a rod in the track. What do you do for the windows that pop out?
i have alarm signs from radio shack and a small about 2" blinking red led light attached with velcro near the top of the door to simulate an armed alarm system. the light came from one of the discount stores in the auto dept., about $3 for 2 lights.
this may be enough to make someone think twice.
cobra has some very nice alarm systems, some with pagers.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #12
my rv window cost 600.00 to replace and there is nohing in the rv thats worth that much soooo I dont lock mine ever ,,,,no jewelry, no expensive tv, no money, nothing of value except my can beeny weeines now that I might shoot somebody over,,,, naaaa just kiddin never had a break in that I know of,,but if they close the door I would never know, and no broken windows,,,,
tboss619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You were in the RV?

I dunno, I like the fresh air, always sleep with the windows open.
Someone want to join us without an invitation, just bring it on.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #14
Yes I as sleeping in the rv along with my 116 lb lab mix and a corgie. None of us woke up. I had taken my husband to ER on Friday and they kept him. This happened on Sunday. and they tried again 2 nights later but I had my windows locked down and blocked. The dogs made a noise the last time and must have scared them off. There was hand prints on the slide windows the next morning. I like sleeping with my windows open but that's not an option any more. They made a mess and took off with things the thought would have cash in them. One of the few times I had cash in my purse.They hit the RV park up the road from us also. They break into class A's that seem to have folks there. I was told this happened a couple of years ago also. They only go for cash.

waywardwind is offline   Reply With Quote