Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2014, 07:05 PM   #1

Butyl tape/window sealant

I would like to hear the opinions of those with experience using butyl tape to seal windows - what brand of butyl tape do you recommend and what sealant should we finish the job with? We are in the process of restoring a 1995 Jamboree Searcher and some of the windows have leaked in the past. We will be removing all of the windows and reinstalling them with new tape and sealant. I have seen the answer to this question but I have searched with no success. Thanks in advance for your responses.
drinms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:27 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
GE Silicone II caulk
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 PM   #3

I just removed and replaced two windows on my 2000 Journey. I picked up a roll of butyl tape from my local RV parts store (I'm not even sure if it had a brand name written on it). I fully cleaned both surfaces and pressed the tape onto the window frame before inserting it into the hole. By the time the window was fully tightened down from the inside, enough of the sealant had extruded all around to convince me the seal was good, and I trimmed off the excess tape.

I went ahead and laid down a small bead of caulk around the outside edge, although I doubt it offers much more security than the butyl tape itself.
Guanaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #4

I restored my dual panes and used dicor butyl tape. no need for silicone with that.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #5

I used butyl tape (not sure the brand) picked up from my local lumber yard. 100% silicon around the frame after widow is installed. (Fill in the gaps where the corrugations of the siding doesn't touch the widow frame.)
Cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
I restored my dual panes and used dicor butyl tape. no need for silicone with that.
Totally agree !!

And stay away from silicone sealer ... there are far better RV products (like Dicor sealants).
Old 09-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunman View Post
I used butyl tape (not sure the brand) picked up from my local lumber yard. 100% silicon around the frame after widow is installed. (Fill in the gaps where the corrugations of the siding doesn't touch the widow frame.)
I resealed all the windows a few years ago with butyl tape in my Class B and not a single leak since then, even in the worst of the PNW downpours!

I learned to stay away from "putty tape". Make sure it's Butyl Tape. And I totally agree - no silicone!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:25 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use 3M butyl tape. Its available at Lowes and Home Depot. Forget the silicone.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #9

BTW, try to get 1" instead of 3/4" .... fits around corners a bit better. Just trim any excess that oozes out with a plastic knife or the corner of a credit card.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I had a tech at Newmar tell me to use butyl tape on the top and both sides. But not to tape the bottom. He claimed that this method would allow any moisture to drain. This doesn't make sense to me. I would think that driving in the rain would allow water vapor to enter the bottom and into the wall. Are you guys taping all 4 sides of the window?

Thanks for your ideas
Old 09-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #11

Use the butyl tape all the way around the window. After installing and tightening the window a small thin bead of silicone sealant can be used over the top of the window and 3-4" down each side. This will stop moisture from running behind the windows and laying on the butyl behind the window frame. No problem with water there until it freezes and starts compromising the seal.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
I had a tech at Newmar tell me to use butyl tape on the top and both sides. But not to tape the bottom. He claimed that this method would allow any moisture to drain. This doesn't make sense to me. I would think that driving in the rain would allow water vapor to enter the bottom and into the wall. Are you guys taping all 4 sides of the window?

Thanks for your ideas
Yes!!!
And be sure to note if there are any spacers and put them back in their original location.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Use the butyl tape all the way around the window. After installing and tightening the window a small thin bead of silicone sealant can be used over the top of the window and 3-4" down each side. This will stop moisture from running behind the windows and laying on the butyl behind the window frame. No problem with water there until it freezes and starts compromising the seal.
If you have water collecting behind a window, the butyl was not wide enough when installed or the top seal was not trimmed properly. It should have a very slight bevel ... like house windows (the glass pane) back when individual panes were installed and glazed. It's a bit of a lost art ...

How to Glaze a Window (Single Pane): The Family Handyman
Old 09-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
If you have water collecting behind a window, the butyl was not wide enough when installed or the top seal was not trimmed properly. It should have a very slight bevel ... like house windows (the glass pane) back when individual panes were installed and glazed. It's a bit of a lost art ...

How to Glaze a Window (Single Pane): The Family Handyman
Interesting. When I reinstalled the driver side window after a Norcold refrig swap out, I used the same size tape in the same location the factory uses on all window installs. Tiffin does not allow any butyl tape to squeeze out of the window frames on any of their windows. I believe this is because it is just about impossible to control the amount of squeeze out by how tight they make the window screws and come out with a job that looks uniform on each window and the same across the coach. Ergo, smaller tape and use the top bead to deal with possible ice.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, window