Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Buy & register in New Mexico?

New Mexico new coach dealer is telling me I can buy a coach from him in New Mexico & register it in New Mexico using my out of state home address. He is quoting me prices & charging me only 3% sales tax. I would be driving on New Mexico tags.
Has anyone heard of this?
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's a NM state law providing for the taxation and annual licensing of RVs that must be purchased in NM. That said, your home state may be interested in your getting in-state plates.

When I asked about it, the sales rep said that it was very common for out of state purchasers to take advantage of the NM state law. I'd recommend asking your sales rep for a copy of the law so you fully understand it.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:56 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most states will give you X number of days to transfer registration to your home state. If you are not always parked where your tag can be seen you may get away with it indefinitely.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
We have NM plates with no issues in TX. We can register in TX for $180 and keep title in NM and may do so for more insurance options.
Hoegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #5

Be aware that you may be setting yourself up to pay your state the difference between New Mexico sales tax and your state's sales tax. Conceivably you could end up paying both states.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:47 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When we sold our house in NM and moved our domicile to SD I wanted to keep my boat in NM and keep it registered there. NM DMV said I could not if I dont live there.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #7

Check with your State DMV before your do this. I'd bet this isn't correct. Never believe a salesmen, they have a vested interest in you believing them. I purchased in CO and live in AZ. I paid local taxes after my purchase, taxes the dealer in CO didn't know about, to the tune of over $1,000. You can't hide from the tax man, they will always find you. You will need to license in your home State, they will want a peace if the action. Salesmen will say anything to make a sale.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I don't listen to salesmen.
I just wanted to see if anyone out there has ever done this. I know people have set up LLCs in Montana to avoid sales tax & have been tracked down by their home states.
I also don't expect that the ones that do have NM tags will come out on this forum & talk about it.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we bought our new to us Bounder in New Mexico - the dealer wanted to do the same thing. We knew we were going back home to Texas and would need to plate it there as we would be there at least 2 more years. We took the paper tag and went on our way. We did have to pay the Texas tax and the dealer in Abq could not collect it - there was no reciprocity between the two states. I think there might have been a tax savings as TX was 6.25% - but I believe I would have paid for NM and TX tags in a 90 day period. I think tge dealer was actually trying to get us to finace TTL. I That didn't make sense and in the Dallas TX area they will come around and let you know you need to register. They drive though storage places - apartments and neighborhoods. But I suspect people do it and get away with it. But I try not to put myself in the "getting away it" category, cause I never seem to get away from anything. Not even as a kid. Lol.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:11 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I would only do it if my state said it was okay with them.
I also think my insurance company will require it be registered here in state to write the policy..
Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
back in the ice age when i was in the military there was often talk of violation of a three state law. License in one state, Plates from another and driving in a third state. We were always counciled to show our military ID when stopped to avoid that issue. Military was exempt.

Insurance company will want it insured in the state where it will be parked. I would also imagine they will want it tagged there also.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Your salesman may be right as far as New Mexcico is concerned, but your real concern is what happens when you bring the RV back into your home state. Nearly all states will require you to get their plates and pay their taxes if the vehicle is kept or regularly used in that state. Typically you have 30 days to comply.

So, decline his advice unless you plan to leave the RV in New Mexico,
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
when i was a realtor we had a meeting on how to get for sale by owners to let us list their houses. One agent said she just went and told them she had a client that wanted their house if they would sign a 6 month listing with her she would show it to the client. Our broker was not really happy when she heard that.

Your new mexico RV salesman kind of reminds me of that agent. Tell you anything to get you to buy and even give improper advice about sales tax to help you be friends with the salesman. How these two stories tie together. Some people will tell you anything they can to get you to buy from them. Find a different salesman that will be more honest with you.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are up to that game, why use NM at 3% ? Use a no sales tax state and an LLC.

That said, you are likely to get caught and pay the man eventually. The high tax states in particular now recognize the high values of motor homes, airplanes, etc., and have developed some good software to find you-- or they contract that search out to their son in laws law firm for a percentage of the revenue. It's not worth the worry over the long haul.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote