Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
One other thing to ponder, where is the factory, where it was "Born"........if needed

I have seen a lot of new Coach's having to return to the factory to get warranty problems resolved............Just something to think about
We did exactly that. NRV factory was 15 miles away, coach never saw the selling dealer. We probably will not buy another "New" unit for this very reason, I cannot see driving 1200-1800 miles to fix things a dealer can't.

Fred

Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought used in Phoenix AZ. Happen to be lucky enough to have my inlaws live there.

Father inlaw found a good deal, test drove the unit, inspected it and we flew to Phoenix and bought it.

There are several used units for sale by older folks with very little miles on them.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:25 PM   #17

Fly and Buy. I saved thousands by purchasing from the best offer. I set my price and sent bids for the exact same coach to many dealers in any State. I was ready for a long drive but fortunate for me the next State over offered the best deal for a coach with more options than I had requested, and beat all the other dealers with less options. I sent out around 10 offers, some never even called or emailed back. I saved thousands by doing this and my local dealer is just 5 miles up the road and services the coach without issues. My local dealer was $7,000 more for the same coach and wasn't budging and I didn't care anyway. I rubbed it in their noses afterwards and enjoyed it. If you can't treat your local customers well, you won't treat anyone well. The service departments are totally separate from the sales department. Too many sales departments are not well run.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #18

My question is why "buy local" if you buy an RV to travel and camp??
If you always and ONLY intend to drive your RV around in your home town it MIGHT be a good idea... (but then why buy a RV)??

In and around my home town I always drive my car, (and then I drive it home...and sleep in the house).

I have seldom had a RV problem "locally"....nearly all of my "RV problems" have occurred when we were traveling... hundreds, or thousands, of miles from "home"... from the dealer where I bought my coach....and from the manufacturer.

Mel
'96 Safari, 136k miles
Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #19

Remember a large portion of your coach ( and potential problems ) is the chassis / motor / trans. In most cases you will be looking for Freightliner / Cummins / Allison dealers for that portion. They are all over the country. Appliances would be next and warranty work on them is subcontracted out to local repair shops by appliance suppliers. That leaves the " house " portion. In our case ( Newmar ), they authorized local mobile RV service techs to diagnose and repair warranty items. I say get the very best price you can - wherever that takes you.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have bought both new and used out of state and would do it again in a heartbeat, both from Arizona. If you are buying used, they are considered "As-Is", so you can take it where you want, or repair it yourself. If you buy new, you will get in line just like the next person, for some reason dealers think nothing of keeping a rig 3-4 months for repairs. They try and make sound like they won't service it, but most will, and if they don't, just call the factory and they will usually let you take it to an independent who will probably do a better job anyway, and get it done faster.
If you go out of State routes, so states have reciprocal tax agreements, California and Arizona have one, so you can pay the sales tax there and you will get credit for it when you register it here.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
My question is why "buy local" if you buy an RV to travel and camp??
If you always and ONLY intend to drive your RV around in your home town it MIGHT be a good idea... (but then why buy a RV)??

In and around my home town I always drive my car, (and then I drive it home...and sleep in the house).

I have seldom had a RV problem "locally"....nearly all of my "RV problems" have occurred when we were traveling... hundreds, or thousands, of miles from "home"... from the dealer where I bought my coach....and from the manufacturer.

Mel
'96 Safari, 136k miles
Simply because all the people that work there are part of our local community. I would much rather have our money stay local if possible.
No kidding, when we travel we get to support plenty of other communities.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:08 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arniem60 View Post
Looking to buy 1st MH.

I live in SF Bay Area. The prices on new MH seem to be
higher than if I bought from either other CA areas or even out of state.

I get the "impression" from local dealers if I don't buy from them
when my mh needs work (even for warranty coverage) I would be at the
bottom of the list .

So, from your experiences does it pay to buy from local
dealer if that means paying a few extra than not?

Thanks for your input.
I live in Sacramento area and when I was looking I found my coach in Bakersfield for x amount and also found the exact same coach locally but the price was $13000 different and they wouldn't budge on price even when I told them I found it cheaper and they said do you really want to drive 5 hours to get it and I told them sure did for the price difference so I drove a total of 10 hours to save that money. So basically I made a little over $1000 dollars a hour to drive and the dealer here locally still did my warranty work since they were that manufacturer dealer and service was happy to help. Sales is totally separate from service.
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #23

I flew to South Bend and drove home from Elkhart to save $4500.

When the salesman said "do you really want to have to drive it home 550 miles?" I countered with "no, I get to drive it home."

And I'm glad I did. I got to learn a lot about it, saved some money and had a fun mini adventure with my dad who came along.

The notion that they won't service it is garbage pressure sales tactics. Service is the lifeblood of the dealership. They will service any tom dick or harry that rolls in with a problem and the money to fix it.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
buy local or not, thanks for the replies

I wanted to thank you all for your very insightful responses.
That was my original thought - get the mh you want at
the best deal. Don't let sales tactics scare you into a
costly decision.

Happy RV'ng. Hope to be on our new adventure soon.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #25

There ya go Arnie, from 12:04 yesterday until 11:26 today you made a well researched decision to go with the best buy for you.
It is always good to support a local business, however when the local business does not support the customer...... time to look elsewhere
Old 01-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #26

I bought/ordered my previous Monaco coach from a Florida dealer and saved $10k, based upon what I could get it for in Virginia. It was worth going to Florida and driving it back to VA for the savings. I had no issues getting a local Monaco dealer to perform warranty work, and as others have said, I've used a local Cummins shop for chassis work.
rbasham72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arniem60 View Post
Looking to buy 1st MH.

I live in SF Bay Area. The prices on new MH seem to be
higher than if I bought from either other CA areas or even out of state.

I'm in Southern California. I will buy wherever the price is the best, (and most fun to pickup).

I'm on my fifth RV, (started with a PopUp, and now in a motorhome). I'm not retired, so I must carefully plan my available vacation time accordingly to allow for pickup and travel.

For every RV that I have purchased, I just find the best price nationally, fly out with the family, and camp all the way home.

Last November I purchased my new motorhome in Florida, (stayed at Disneyworld with the kids, New Orleans, Carlsbad, etc... on the way home). A nice trip, and saved several tens of thousands over purchasing locally. You have probably noticed by now that RV's are priced significantly higher in your neck of the woods, Northern CA.

Warranty periods are short, dealerships have NO loyalty to you. As a matter of fact there is usually no connection between the sales staff and the service department, they might not even know each other's personnel by name. Unless you are related to, a lifelong friend, or a college fraternity buddy with the owner of the dealership, they will charge you their retail price, (that you have carefully negotiated and feel good about), for your motorhome. There is no reason to be loyal to a particular dealership if your new motorhome is going to immediately depreciate about 40% the moment you sign the delivery paperwork.

The only time that you will be taking your RV to an "authorized" service center is for warranty work. My experience has been very positive in taking my RV's to any available dealer for warranty work. I have owed Fleetwood, Winnebago, Jayco, and Thor products and never had a problem, (besides the industry standard wait time required for "factory authorization", and the shipping of replacement parts).

When I still had my PopUp I quickly learned to NEVER leave or drop off the RV for service unless all of the parts are in stock,(and they are the correct parts are checked out by the expert technician, see below), all the "factory authorizations" are authorized, the particular technician who is the expert for your repair is scheduled to work on your RV on the day you drop it off, and the service writer has all my work scheduled to be completed in a agreed upon time frame.

Yes, I am THAT customer, the one the service department calls a PITA, (or worse)! However, I have never had to leave any of my RV's for longer than 24 hours at a dealership for warranty work.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM   #28

buying used (an assumption here ... which you should be IMO) find the coach you truly want ... it doesn't matter where it is, though we focused west, and to get it ... yeah.. a bit more difficult, but we found the best coaches for the best prices from private parties .... and we had a few to choose from prior to pulling the trigger. It took us a week of travel, to and fro, to get exactly what we wanted ..... and would do it again if necessary .... (( but won't be necessary in this lifetime )) ... we're set !!!

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote