Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2015, 11:07 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Buy Local or Not?

Looking to buy 1st MH.

I live in SF Bay Area. The prices on new MH seem to be
higher than if I bought from either other CA areas or even out of state.

I get the "impression" from local dealers if I don't buy from them
when my mh needs work (even for warranty coverage) I would be at the
bottom of the list .

So, from your experiences does it pay to buy from local
dealer if that means paying a few extra than not?

Thanks for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We always try and buy local.
That being said there seems to be a imaginary line when it comes to how much more we are willing to pay to buy local.

As far as service I have yet to have any service done at a dealer.
At least in our area there are a few independent shops that do great work.
We use those shops.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arniem60 View Post
Looking to buy 1st MH.

...I get the "impression" from local dealers if I don't buy from them
when my mh needs work (even for warranty coverage) I would be at the
bottom of the list ...
Ask yourself, do you want to do business with someone who would use threats to get your business? Also, if that dealer's products need so much warranty work, do you want it? Finally, if that's their business model, can you trust them not to create more problems just so they can gouge more $$ out of you?

An RV is basically a chassis (engine, transmission, drive train, suspension, etc) and an apartment (appliances, roof, walls, floor, etc.) Repairing that stuff isn't rocket science. The only reason to use warranty is so you're not paying for something that should have been caught at the factory or failed too soon.

If I were buying new, I'd find a good local warranty shop for the chassis and have them take care of any safety, driveability or operational issues. I'd break down the apartment issues into severe, moderate and PITA and address them as needed. Before the warranty expires, I'd schedule a trip to the factory and get everything fixed at once.

Just my US$0.01 worth (adjusted for inflation)
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 11:46 AM   #4

Buy wherever you get the best price and they treat you right. With most of the major manufacturers you can go to several places they have authorized to do warranty work. Also if you are on the road they don't expect you to drive all the way back to your original dealer if you have a significant problem. Most of them also have a list of mobile mechanics they use. You can always go back to the factory for significant issues if you have to. The common sales tactic is "if you don't buy from us, then you won't be first in line for service". I understand they will want to treat those that bought from them good, but that's not where I would want to buy from when they start out with the threat tactic.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 PM   #5

Buy your best deal from whom ever and where ever they might be.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #6

I'm saving $8K over the best price I could get locally. Just have to drive 3.5 hours to go get it. Camping World tried to use the service threats, Good Sam Elite member stuff. It backfired on them, kept calling around and got a far better deal.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #7

Just because a dealer says that they will provide better service if you buy from them doesn't make it true. It is all about leverage. Once you have paid, they have no reason to honor their oral promise unless they are a good service provider in the first place and take care of all owners that come to them.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
One other thing to ponder, where is the factory, where it was "Born"........if needed

I have seen a lot of new Coach's having to return to the factory to get warranty problems resolved............Just something to think about
Old 01-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #9

If it's any help we bought local thinking we could get better service and support a local business. Service work is always 2 weeks to 3 months. I got do tired of waiting, I found a local repair service for my needs and they are closer than the dealer.
Next time, I buy best price.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:30 PM   #10

My experience with RVs and automobiles it that the repair shop side has nothing to do with the sales side. Salespeople are fond of implying (or sometimes outright asserting) that buying from them will get you some kind of special treatment from the repair guys. I doubt it.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm going to second what wallacerm said: dealerships have a sales manager and a service manager, and they don't schedule each other's appointments. The sales force will say whatever it takes to make a sale, including coercing you into believing that buying from them gives you some advantage in another department. You might get the first oil change for free, or some other similarly trivial offering, but after that you're just like any other customer. A service appointment is a service appointment; any dealership that bumps non-customers appointments to squeeze in a customer who bought from them is a shop you'd probably want to avoid in the first place.

You might think about redefining what "local" means to you. When I search for a coach using RVTRader or RVT (for examples) I search within 400-500 miles of my zip code (depending on which service I'm using), and that's "local" to me. I'll drive that far for the right rig, and there are always plenty of the right rigs to choose from within those parameters. I have already researched service options in my area (Las Vegas) so that's not going to have any impact on the decision of where or what I buy.

Best of luck!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #12

I bought local (about 75 miles away) & used the Dealer for a little warranty work. There are several local RV repair shops/individuals here in town who I use now for work that I can't do myself.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #13

If you want to have fun and see what happens, insert language into the contract that requires them to service and complete repairs and maintenance to your rv within two weeks of notification of a problem for the first three years of ownership. See how they respond to that. Always make notes of their representations and put those representations in writing, along with your conditions.

One salesman was me telling how wonderful their pdi process was. I told that he should therefore have no problem putting in the contract for a used motorhome, that they guaranteed that it was leak free and would remain so for the first year of ownership. I thought he was gonna have a cow.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:58 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
If you want to have fun and see what happens, insert language into the contract that requires them to service and complete repairs and maintenance to your rv within two weeks of notification of a problem for the first three years of ownership. See how they respond to that. Always make notes of their representations and put those representations in writing, along with your conditions.
If these terms were imposed on a dealer when trying to buy , I am going to say, you are going to leave that dealer with just what you arrived with.........Your car