Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #57

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Great plan for those who start young... but many of us got our RVing started late in life and don't have the time to work our way through generations of RV evolution.

Rick

Absolutely Correct Rick!
I am turning 50 this summer and really wanted to jump in with both feet.
I did'nt have the time to run through all the trailers and c's and a's.
I say Go Big or Go Home!!! LOL

Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I guess RVs didn't exist where some folks lived for the entire working lives. I mean no offense but where were you all those years when you didn't RV? What brought RVing to your attention at retirement age? Why now? What changed?

I say start in your 20's when the kids are little and upgrade as you go. The evolution is great! The kids love it and you can buy your last one when you're ready for the last one. I tell young people that all the time.

While we were out in the B van ----> our latest DP, I guess you stayed home then? Now had we not spent money on RVs along the way we might be able to go bigger now. But I would not trade away adventures past for adventures ahead. I can fall over dead at any moment but ya can't take away the memories.

We'll just have to be happy with the Bounder and our memories. At least we have lots of experience out and about and being happy with less than what a lot others have. Heck - the Bounder will be paid for when we retire at the end of the year at 59. Maybe I should cut my losses - sell it and work till 67 so I go bigger. Right. No way that's happening.

Again no offense intended. I'm glad so many people are buying their last one first. Should provide me a good purchase opportunity when I buy my next one.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I guess RVs didn't exist where some folks lived for the entire working lives. I mean no offense but where were you all those years when you didn't RV? What brought RVing to your attention at retirement age? Why now? What changed?

I say start in your 20's when the kids are little and upgrade as you go. The evolution is great! The kids love it and you can buy your last one when you're ready for the last one. I tell young people that all the time.

While we were out in the B van ----> our latest DP, I guess you stayed home then? Now had we not spent money on RVs along the way we might be able to go bigger now. But I would not trade away adventures past for adventures ahead. I can fall over dead at any moment but ya can't take away the memories.

We'll just have to be happy with the Bounder and our memories. At least we have lots of experience out and about and being happy with less than what a lot others have. Heck - the Bounder will be paid for when we retire at the end of the year at 59. Maybe I should cut my losses - sell it and work till 67 so I go bigger. Right. No way that's happening.

Again no offense intended. I'm glad so many people are buying their last one first. Should provide me a good purchase opportunity when I buy my next one.
No offense taken... but, wow. I'm not sure what you're reacting so harshly to.

Of course RVs existed when I was in my 20s. I just wasn't interested in them then. Boats, cars and bikes... along with working 50 hours per week filled my time.

When I retired at 55, I was fortunate enough to have the time and the money to have choices. We thought about full timing in a boat, but after some research decided that was a bit too much adventure for us. We settled on buying a coach and going full time.

This doesn't fit everyone's needs but at 55 years old I felt I could join the RV community for the first time and didn't need to pay any dues to anyone by starting small.

Just different strokes for different folks.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #60

Like Ricky said ...

I started "camping" in the US Army more than 30 years ago

But over the course of my life, I've tent camped, trailer camped, owned & rented motorhomes with my kids/wife and friends. In 2015, I'll be 57 and will retire & purchase a DP with no debt.

No one's life is the same and no decision to purchase a 50K RV vs. a 500K RV makes anyone better than another ... just different lifestyles along the way, but in the end, we all seem to enjoy the "lifestyle" that the RV life affords us
Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
No offense taken... but, wow. I'm not sure what you're reacting so harshly to.

Of course RVs existed when I was in my 20s. I just wasn't interested in them then. Boats, cars and bikes... along with working 50 hours per week filled my time.

When I retired at 55, I was fortunate enough to have the time and the money to have choices. We thought about full timing in a boat, but after some research decided that was a bit too much adventure for us. We settled on buying a coach and going full time.

This doesn't fit everyone's needs but at 55 years old I felt I could join the RV community for the first time and didn't need to pay any dues to anyone by starting small.

Just different strokes for different folks.

Rick
Wow is right!!! Relax and enjoy your day!!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rick - I intentionally didn't quote you or anyone - to avoid it being personal. But by nature of a post i guess that directs at anyone who reads it. My bad. Honestly I didn't intend to sound reactionary or harsh.

I was just offering the other side of the world view. I do get the feeling that there are some out there (not necessarily on this thread) that are getting into their last RV with no idea what's ahead of them. Selling their house - hitting the savings - sinking tons of money into something they know little or nothing about. Be it the motorhome itself or life on the road or even simple camping. If you've got it, flaunt it I guess. But to folks with no knowledge or experience to be throwing down big dollars and tossing things overboard, I'd say think long and hard and don't fall for slogans like buy your last one first. Don't think that reading hear is the same as being out there etc. I know we're all grown ups but this is pretty serious stuff.

I think the thread as a whole has an implied footnote - if your 50+ here's a thought. If you're 20 start saving now and you too can do this in 30 or 40 years. And then I'd add - don't put off till tomorrow what you can more or less do today. Again encouraging young people to get out there however they can. They will have a better idea of what's involved and what their needs are when retirement comes.

There is a good point in here to buy what will last ya for as long as you think you'll keep it. The only good mistake / depreciation / etc is that which somebody else makes / pays. Maybe Annie slipped me a serious pill this morning but there just seems to be a Tim the Tool Man feel to the last first notion. But clearly - buying the last one first isn't the only way to by em and not necessarily the best way. It's just one way - and if you start late it may save ya some money or cost ya bunch.

Again - no offense intended and really not jacked up over it. I'm all for as many happy campers as possible.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #63

Newmar Owners Club
First, I want to thank all who have posted in this thread. I and hopefully others have found merit in the many comments.

We're still assemblying the pieces to the puzzle and have a good idea of what will work. Now we need to "find" that special DP. And we will tour them "with our sunglasses on".
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #64

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
First, I want to thank all who have posted in this thread. I and hopefully others have found merit in the many comments.

We're still assemblying the pieces to the puzzle and have a good idea of what will work. Now we need to "find" that special DP. And we will tour them "with our sunglasses on".
Good Move John,
Deb and I are just across the small pond from you so, keep us up to date on what you decide to get. We can take a weekend and hit the road and meet up!
You get what makes you guys happy!
Craig
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #65

Find the best MH that fits your needs that's with in your budget and you will be happy with it. David2499 😃
Old 01-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #66

I can relate and agree to flaggship1 in much of what he has written. Instead of RV'ing in my younger years, me and the family acquired countless memories boating. DW and I decided to go the RV route with an eye towards retirement instead of a huge sticks and bricks move up. The saying goes "you can pay off mortgages but you can't pay off property taxes" which in New York State are second only to I believe California. Now that we have had my son and daughter in law with grandkids camping with us a few times I hope they will look at getting into a pop-up now (they are in their early 30's) as an entry into camping as a family outdoor adventure. Its a tough choice though for young families to make the financial sacrifice with today's youth being much more buried in debt. That is my opinion why so many wait to their 50's or later to get into RV'ing, being more secure in there own finances and why they can look at late model expensive DP's and talk as if they are talking about a Chevy Cavalier or PT Cruiser.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #67

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
I was just offering the other side of the world view. I do get the feeling that there are some out there (not necessarily on this thread) that are getting into their last RV with no idea what's ahead of them. Selling their house - hitting the savings - sinking tons of money into something they know little or nothing about. ...
Steve, my friend. I am not feeling offended in the least bit by your post. Still, to some extent I think I fall into that group you show concern for.

We Bought our 2006 Winnebago in April and are now picking up the 2006 Dutch Star this week. I camped a bit as a kid in Scouts and once our family used a pop up but otherwise no RV experience. So...why?

I have been thinking about this for years. In 2011 I had some significant health scares/issues and in October 2011 I had weight loss surgery and since then have lost over 140# which was life altering. In Mar 2012 had another family event that finally just turned the switch on. We bought the Winnebago thinking it was good enough for our ultimate goal but it wasn't. (Understand I am not knocking it at all...it was a great leaning platform.) Now I will be the owner of a monster.

Clearly I have a lot to learn and maybe...just maybe...we are making a mistake. Sandee and I weighed our options, reviewed our finances, crunched numbers and consulted a ouji board. We cussed, discussed and pondered the potential future problems. In the end we chose to embark on the next stage of our lives. Could it back fire? I'd be foolish to tell anyone it is a fool proof plan we have. Can we survive if the MH burned down without insurance. NOT FUN but yes.

As it relates to this thread...we upgraded to what we think will be our home until it isn't. How long will that be? Don't know but we spent the money needed to get us into something we can be successful in. Do we plan on another upgrade? No but "stuff happens".

Finally (not like I will shut up forever or even the next hour )...

I can't get the final line of Bilbo Baggins at the end of Return of the King out of my brain. As he sets off for the Grey Havens he looks forward and says, "I think I'm... [pauses] quite ready for another adventure!" It chokes me up sometimes just replaying that scene in my mind. Sandee and I have played the safe game and done the right things and can afford this gamble. Will it hurt if we underestimate some of the financial issues? Maybe a bit but we have good defined pension benefits to back us up. So, we both look forward to that adventure with hope and excitement. Romantic imaginations? Maybe but at least we have each other to make that trip to where ever it takes us.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Chances of buying last MH first in my opinion are slim.New styles, options,technology etc make a newer MH attractive. How many have bought their last car, house first? Not too many. Get what appeals to ya gas or diesel and enjoy,until the next one comes along.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #69

I seem to lurk a lot and am usually slow to respond, so I'm getting in here a little late. When we purchased our DP last March, we had no idea what we were doing or even that these forums existed. We've had several different kinds of RVs throughout the years (pop-up, truck slide-in, 25' Winnebago gasser). We hadn't camped in years - ever since our boys got to the age they didn't want to go anymore or had weekend sports events, so it made it hard to go. We pretty much decide to do something, and then BAM, we do it. Have we made mistakes along the way, yes, but we've also made some good decisions, or just go with the flow. So, we decided to start camping again and do some extensive traveling 'cause our boys are grown and we have more time. Now that we have a little knowledge under our belt, we realize that we don't have what would be considered the "best" DP out there, or the biggest, or the fastest, or the yada, yada, yada. But, that's okay, 'cause what we have is paid for and suits us just fine. It is WHAT WE CAN COMFORTABLY AFFORD AT THIS TIME IN OUR LIVES. Will we trade up some day? Knowing us, probably, but it won't be for a long, long time. So, I guess I'd say to buy what meets your needs, some of your wants, and something you can easily afford. The rest will fall into place.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #70

Everyone has their own history and preferences, but it is certainly true that with large motor homes you save a lot of money if you can limit the amount of times you trade them in for another one or sell yours for another one. Hence the popular saying started, "buy you last one first". The idea being to save money.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote