Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #71

I am looking at used DP Class A buses. Is there a list of needs and wants that have been published on previous lists that I can use to help my wife & I select an appropriate unit. We are planning a 3 month trip from the southeast through Canada this summer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverStone View Post
I am looking at used DP Class A buses. Is there a list of needs and wants that have been published on previous lists that I can use to help my wife & I select an appropriate unit. We are planning a 3 month trip from the southeast through Canada this summer.

PM me your email and I'll send you what we used. It will be a place to start.

JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverStone View Post

There is no ONE list that works for everyone. It is so individualized that you need to sit down together and write up what you NEED versus what you WANT for the two of you.

What works for me won't work for you or others.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post

PM me your email and I'll send you what we used. It will be a place to start.

Thanks for the help

Gary
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #75

I think what RiverStone is asking for is a very legitimate question. If you have never owned or experienced a RV before, especially a DP, his question I believe is where do you start. JohnT's offer to PM him a starting list will I am sure be most helpful and should save RS a good amount of time narrowing down a "should have" list into a "want/need" list. Good Luck in your search RiverStone!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
RiverStone.

6 files sent.
Good Luck.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #77

The list was great. It gave me a lot to think about a list of great questions to ask.
Thanks for the help.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #78

Talking Get your last rig first

We started small and 6 rigs later finally have a MH we love. We have a Itasca Ellipse and we traded a 40' Tiffin Bus to get it. Pick your rig by contemplating the largest you will ever want and make sure it is a diesel pusher!!
Mac
Old 05-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #79

We started with a 36 ft dp upsized to a 40 ft dp and now have a 25.5 ft front engine diesel. It has all been good but needs change with time.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
I forgot about this thread.

A little update as we have purchased a new to us rig - 2008 Dutch Star 4023.
Did our list help us decide. Yes. Does our new mh have everything on our list - no.
When looking used, there are going to be trade offs. Yes you could get really lucky and find that perfect rig. But I'm willing to bet that won't happen. Too many variables.

We got most everything we "wanted". Got some things that we didn't have as a high priority and glad we did. Got some things we didn't really want too. Overall. we are very happy.

I think to be succesful with a list, you need to target a "brand". Once you have your list for that "brand", you just need to wait for one to appear on the market. Making the "brand" choice may be the most difficult part.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:38 AM   #81

Country Coach Owners Club
I thought about getting a try out coach but decided that maybe that wouldn't be a great idea. I went to rv.org paid the $150 and read everything. It was a great source of information. That narrowed my search parameters down to the highest rated coaches that would out last my interest in the RV lifestyle. Then I shopped to find what fit in my budget. We now have a 2002 Country Coach 36' and are starting our 4th year on the road. But be aware that stuff will break and you will have to get it fixed it's just part of the life style. As far as finding a coach to buy try oodle.com it will show you what is available and send you updates daily if you check the right box.
Have fun and happy hunting
Old 05-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #82

Last coach first....

Not possible for me.

I made 2 of them very tired, as this one will be before I buy the next one, which may not be the last.

Ours never sit still for long!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #83

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
I thought about getting a try out coach but decided that maybe that wouldn't be a great idea. ...
We thought about the same thing and when "big" when we bought our 06 Winnebago Adventurer 38J. We certainly new we didn't want to start with a Class C and work our way up. Unfortunately, the Adventurer turned out to be a "try out coach" even though we didn't think so at the time. I also used RV.ORG to better research our current DSDP and found it a good guide to add to the mountain of information I was learning here and through manufacturer's info. The biggest thing we took away from the Adventurer was an appreciation for weight and balance issues and the fact that it is nearly impossible to max out the CCC before you max out any single axle/tire weight limit. Yes, there were a lot of other things we learned about floor plan, storage and handling too. In the end, we went bigger because we wanted to carry lots of stuff and not worry much about axle limits. Event that being said, we do have to keep an eye on front axle weight but that is manageable.