Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #15

As a mechanic/service manager/shop owner in the auto business for 45 years, my advice to everyone asking about buying a used vehicle was simple: ALWAYS have it fully checked out by a qualified mechanic that is not related to the seller in any way. Simple as that.

I could write a 1000 page book with horror stories of bad vehicles.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Well, the list of problems is what it is, so the question is how to move forward. Have you contacted the dealer with your problem list? And have they responded?

Going back 7+ months after the purchase with a laundry list of problems is going to be problematic, though. If you had issues, they needed to be made known in a timely fashion. The dealer has no idea what was done to/with the RV in all that time and could hardly be faulted if he is skeptical at this late date.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
"This is a copy of the complaint sent to the BBB of Kentucky. I hope it can save someone else alot of grief." Guys, this was their opening line alot of you guys jumped on him like he just called your mother a name.. This is their first Motor home...Must have been a long winter...
Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #18

Put up a copy of the carfax on this RV if you can.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkate View Post
This is a copy of the complaint sent to the BBB of Kentucky. I hope it can save someone else alot of grief.

WE PURCHASED A 2000 DAMON ULTRASPORT FROM DAY BROTHERS RV IN OCTOBER OF 2010 AND WAS TOLD THAT THE COACH WAS SERVICED AND ROAD READY. WE BROUGHT IT HOME AND PARKED IT FOR THE WINTER AND DID NOT USE UNTIL APRIL OF THIS YEAR WHEN WE TOOK IT TO FLORIDA FOR SPRING BREAK. SINCE WE PURCHASED THE RV WE HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THE FOLLOWING: ALL FOUR LEVELING JACKS(LOCKED UP),DRIVERS A/C(LOCKED UP),STARTER(BAD),ALTENATOR(BAD),REPAIR BROKEN PROPANE TANK SUPPORT,REPAIR BROKEN AIR LINE,SERPENTINE BELT(BROKE),BOTH TURBO AIR FILTERS(CLOGGED),BOTH FUEL FILTERS(CLOGGED),OIL PAN GASKET(LEAKED),OIL FILTER(CLOGGED),CHANGED OIL(5 QUARTS LOW),KITCHEN FAUCET(LEAKED),BATH FAUCET(LEAKED),FRONT TV(WOULD NOT TURN ON WITH ENGINE OFF),REPLACE BOTH FUSES FOR COACH A/C,REPLACE BOTH FRONT FOG LIGHTS(MELTED HOUSEING),CHARGE ALL FOUR BATTERYS(BAD CELLS). THE FOLLOWING ARE ITEMS THAT ARE STILL NOT WORKING SINCE WE PURCHASED: TRANSMISSION SHIFTS EXTREMLY HARD, COACH HAS NO POWER UP HILL (ALWAYS HAS'NT), DOOR SHADE SPRING BROKEN, STORAGE COMPARTMENT BROKEN HINGES, MICROWAVE LED READ OUT DOES NOT WORK(NEVER HAS), AWNING ON PASSENGER SIDE SUPPORTS BROKEN AND LOCKED UP WILL NOT OPEN(NEVER HAS)ABNORMAL AMOUNT OF BLACK SMOKE OUT OF ENGINE (ALWAYS HAS), LOW WATER LIGHT COMES ON,BATTERYS WILL NOT HOLD CHARGE,WATER SEPERATER LEAKS,BROKEN TOILET SEAT, LEAVLING JACKS STILL DONT WORK PROPERLY,POWER DISCONNECT DISPLAY DOES NOT WORK,CABON MONOXIDE DETECTOR DOES NOT WORK(BEDROOM), HOLDING TANK HEATER DOES NOT WORK.THESE ISSUES HAVE BEEN AT LARGE SINCE WE PURCHASED THIS RV FROM DAY BROTHERS BUT WERE ONLY DISCOVERED AFTER IT WAS BROUGHT OUT OF STORAGE FOR THE WINTER, AND PUT IN SERVICE FOR THE FIRST TIME BY US IN APRIL OF THIS YEAR. THIS IS OUR FIRST RV AND WE WERE EXPECTING NOTHING BUT THE BEST FROM THE DAY BROTHERS BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY TOLD US, AND ARE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED AND FRANKLY FEEL WE WERE TAKEN ADVANTAGED OF.
This whole post just does not make sense. How did you get coach back home with a bad alternator and bad starter? What does 'bad' mean? non functioning?
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #20

Heartland RV Club
The urban dictonary defines Bad as :
dope, good, tight

adjective used to describe a trendy woman.
Good looking or attractive
Envied and wanted by many
I can't go to the club without a man/woman tellin me how bad i am.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #21

First sorry for your bad exp. Looks like you did this to yourself, I can't imagine buying an RV without making sure everything worked before plunking down my hard earned $$$$. If you are going to buy used RV's you better know what you are looking at, because they are "used and some abused", If you don't you should enlist the services of someone who does, because all older RV's have some issues some where. Looks like you might as well start addressing your issues yourself, after this amount of time I would not expect much help from the dealer, Also if you start having repairs done, CONFIRM the agreed upon repairs have been completed to your satisfaction BEFORE money changes hands.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Sorry for your troubles ...This should be a lesson for all folks who are thinking of buying an RV....The #1 thing is do your homework. You don't mention any written agreement with the dealer. A verbal promises is worth nothing. Why didn't you buy an extended warranty . I know none of this helps, I bought two Class A, both had issues, MH's will always have issues, I fixed the problems as they came up and moved on'
Best of luck.... D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 PM   #23

Best advive I ever got on this board was when I purchased my 99 monaco. Everyone said have it inspected to the point that they convinced me. The inspection cost me $200 and was worth every penny. The guy who inspected it for me worked with the service mgr to have about a dozen items fixed. Several of these items would have left me stranded on the 1000 mile drive home. Best $200 I ever spent.

I agree with others, MH will always have issues, they are maintenence hogs! Anytime I left me coach for several months(winter) there is always some items to repair on first spring trip out.

I am a newbie but here's one thing I recognized right away. Class A motorhome travel is definately a luxurious way to travel but is costs. Get use to the anomiles write the checks and relax and enjoy...

...Or take a plane, rent a car stay in a hotel schlep your bags use public restrooms sleep in beds that who knows what's been in and generally get to feel "at home" while traveling. YUK!
Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry for the trip you were taken on by this dealer. It sounds like you were a very trusting & knowledgeable buyer. Hind site does no good for you here. But if anyone else finds themselves in this situation please find an independent mechanic or someone who has mechanical knowledge & experience in RV's at the minimum to inspect it with you. I think with 7 months elapsed time since your purchase you will have no success in getting these items repaired by the dealer at their cost, but don't take my opinion on this. The worst that can happen is they don't & you repair with your own $$$.
When I purchased our class A from Tom Johnsons in Concord, NC, my father mother & I all inspected it with a fine tooth comb. My father & myself our both mechanics with apprx 75 years mechanic experience between us & my parents have owned & lived in motor homes or TT since I was in middle school (which was a looonngggg time ago). When we did our inspection we came up with a list of 12 items on a 4 year old MH. 10 were addressed & completed to my satisfaction, 1 I had to bring it back 2 more times the day of delivery & it was finally repaired, the technician just had a problem with getting the adjustment of a cable correct. 2 items they would not change, the tires which had 4 years on them & the wiper blades. The tires I understand & still to this day I don't understand the wiper blades. If I was doing a state inspection they would not have passed but they passed them I agreed & replaced them myself. I guess my point here is not all dealers try to hide the defects, I will give Tom Johnsons another chance if we are ever in the need for another RV.

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote