Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 PM   #1

Buyer Beware

This is a copy of the complaint sent to the BBB of Kentucky. I hope it can save someone else alot of grief.

WE PURCHASED A 2000 DAMON ULTRASPORT FROM DAY BROTHERS RV IN OCTOBER OF 2010 AND WAS TOLD THAT THE COACH WAS SERVICED AND ROAD READY. WE BROUGHT IT HOME AND PARKED IT FOR THE WINTER AND DID NOT USE UNTIL APRIL OF THIS YEAR WHEN WE TOOK IT TO FLORIDA FOR SPRING BREAK. SINCE WE PURCHASED THE RV WE HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THE FOLLOWING: ALL FOUR LEVELING JACKS(LOCKED UP),DRIVERS A/C(LOCKED UP),STARTER(BAD),ALTENATOR(BAD),REPAIR BROKEN PROPANE TANK SUPPORT,REPAIR BROKEN AIR LINE,SERPENTINE BELT(BROKE),BOTH TURBO AIR FILTERS(CLOGGED),BOTH FUEL FILTERS(CLOGGED),OIL PAN GASKET(LEAKED),OIL FILTER(CLOGGED),CHANGED OIL(5 QUARTS LOW),KITCHEN FAUCET(LEAKED),BATH FAUCET(LEAKED),FRONT TV(WOULD NOT TURN ON WITH ENGINE OFF),REPLACE BOTH FUSES FOR COACH A/C,REPLACE BOTH FRONT FOG LIGHTS(MELTED HOUSEING),CHARGE ALL FOUR BATTERYS(BAD CELLS). THE FOLLOWING ARE ITEMS THAT ARE STILL NOT WORKING SINCE WE PURCHASED: TRANSMISSION SHIFTS EXTREMLY HARD, COACH HAS NO POWER UP HILL (ALWAYS HAS'NT), DOOR SHADE SPRING BROKEN, STORAGE COMPARTMENT BROKEN HINGES, MICROWAVE LED READ OUT DOES NOT WORK(NEVER HAS), AWNING ON PASSENGER SIDE SUPPORTS BROKEN AND LOCKED UP WILL NOT OPEN(NEVER HAS)ABNORMAL AMOUNT OF BLACK SMOKE OUT OF ENGINE (ALWAYS HAS), LOW WATER LIGHT COMES ON,BATTERYS WILL NOT HOLD CHARGE,WATER SEPERATER LEAKS,BROKEN TOILET SEAT, LEAVLING JACKS STILL DONT WORK PROPERLY,POWER DISCONNECT DISPLAY DOES NOT WORK,CABON MONOXIDE DETECTOR DOES NOT WORK(BEDROOM), HOLDING TANK HEATER DOES NOT WORK.THESE ISSUES HAVE BEEN AT LARGE SINCE WE PURCHASED THIS RV FROM DAY BROTHERS BUT WERE ONLY DISCOVERED AFTER IT WAS BROUGHT OUT OF STORAGE FOR THE WINTER, AND PUT IN SERVICE FOR THE FIRST TIME BY US IN APRIL OF THIS YEAR. THIS IS OUR FIRST RV AND WE WERE EXPECTING NOTHING BUT THE BEST FROM THE DAY BROTHERS BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY TOLD US, AND ARE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED AND FRANKLY FEEL WE WERE TAKEN ADVANTAGED OF.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your problems but why in the world did you leave the dealership with all of the problems that you listed in the second half of your post?,
Secondly, how did you manage to drive it home with all of the problems that you list?
Didn't you do a walk through at the dealership?
You should have tested all of the onboard systems as well as the drive train and the motor.
Unfortunately, you had to learn a lesson the hard way.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #3

When we were recently shopping, there were an amazing number of RV sellers in Corbin KY & London KY. Two small towns nearby to each other, but pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I wondered how these dealerships so far from any substantial population base could do... One eBay seller alone operates under at least three different names & eBay ID's. The number of different ebay seller names, small "dealerships" and cell phone numbers used is quite large.

I would use extreme caution buying a used RV from one of these folks.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Sorry but I can't believe all of this was caused by the dealer.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kevinkate,
What do you expect this letter to accomplish? A complaint needs to include what you expect to happen next. Do you want your money back? Do you want the unit declared a lemon? What is it you expect?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
IMHO, seems that a brief walk around and systems check would have sent me running away from that rig.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I have noticed many of the BIG complaints here are from people who just joined! .... and then you don't see them post again!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #8

To GaryKD we are seeking what they promised, a full service and repair of all outstanding problems. To Cousin Ed with commits like that why should a new member turn to this forum for help or advice. To dons246 we dont think this was caused by the dealer our complaint is that they, the proffesionals did not catch or repair these problems.We spent two hrs walking through the rv and saw what the dealer showed us instead of what needed to be seen, we trusted some one to do us right and they did us wrong . This was just to let anyone know that they are not to be trusted, thats all.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #9

Heartland RV Club
Wht has the dealers responce been? Most make a list of known issues and a timeline to repair them,then 30 days for anything else that pops up.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Sorry but I can't believe all of this was caused by the dealer.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkate View Post
This is a copy of the complaint sent to the BBB of Kentucky. I hope it can save someone else alot of grief.

WE PURCHASED A 2000 DAMON ULTRASPORT FROM DAY BROTHERS RV IN OCTOBER OF 2010 AND WAS TOLD THAT THE COACH WAS SERVICED AND ROAD READY. WE BROUGHT IT HOME AND PARKED IT FOR THE WINTER AND DID NOT USE UNTIL APRIL OF THIS YEAR WHEN WE TOOK IT TO FLORIDA FOR SPRING BREAK. SINCE WE PURCHASED THE RV WE HAVE HAD TO REPLACE THE FOLLOWING: ALL FOUR LEVELING JACKS(LOCKED UP),DRIVERS A/C(LOCKED UP),STARTER(BAD),ALTENATOR(BAD),REPAIR BROKEN PROPANE TANK SUPPORT,REPAIR BROKEN AIR LINE,SERPENTINE BELT(BROKE),BOTH TURBO AIR FILTERS(CLOGGED),BOTH FUEL FILTERS(CLOGGED),OIL PAN GASKET(LEAKED),OIL FILTER(CLOGGED),CHANGED OIL(5 QUARTS LOW),KITCHEN FAUCET(LEAKED),BATH FAUCET(LEAKED),FRONT TV(WOULD NOT TURN ON WITH ENGINE OFF),REPLACE BOTH FUSES FOR COACH A/C,REPLACE BOTH FRONT FOG LIGHTS(MELTED HOUSEING),CHARGE ALL FOUR BATTERYS(BAD CELLS). THE FOLLOWING ARE ITEMS THAT ARE STILL NOT WORKING SINCE WE PURCHASED: TRANSMISSION SHIFTS EXTREMLY HARD, COACH HAS NO POWER UP HILL (ALWAYS HAS'NT), DOOR SHADE SPRING BROKEN, STORAGE COMPARTMENT BROKEN HINGES, MICROWAVE LED READ OUT DOES NOT WORK(NEVER HAS), AWNING ON PASSENGER SIDE SUPPORTS BROKEN AND LOCKED UP WILL NOT OPEN(NEVER HAS)ABNORMAL AMOUNT OF BLACK SMOKE OUT OF ENGINE (ALWAYS HAS), LOW WATER LIGHT COMES ON,BATTERYS WILL NOT HOLD CHARGE,WATER SEPERATER LEAKS,BROKEN TOILET SEAT, LEAVLING JACKS STILL DONT WORK PROPERLY,POWER DISCONNECT DISPLAY DOES NOT WORK,CABON MONOXIDE DETECTOR DOES NOT WORK(BEDROOM), HOLDING TANK HEATER DOES NOT WORK.THESE ISSUES HAVE BEEN AT LARGE SINCE WE PURCHASED THIS RV FROM DAY BROTHERS BUT WERE ONLY DISCOVERED AFTER IT WAS BROUGHT OUT OF STORAGE FOR THE WINTER, AND PUT IN SERVICE FOR THE FIRST TIME BY US IN APRIL OF THIS YEAR. THIS IS OUR FIRST RV AND WE WERE EXPECTING NOTHING BUT THE BEST FROM THE DAY BROTHERS BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY TOLD US, AND ARE EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED AND FRANKLY FEEL WE WERE TAKEN ADVANTAGED OF.
Of the stuff I put in bold all of that should of been noticed on a pre purchase inspection. I don't see how anyone can go and purchase a used motorhome and expect the seller to be "upfront and trust worthy". From what I can read of your post it looks as though you bought something not knowing what you were doing. If it were me purchasing that coach it would of never left the dealership with some of the things you posted being wrong. A lot of that stuff didn't break sitting in storage over the winter either.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #11

I, for one feel your pain. It happened to me once with a new '95 Damon Challenger. Wound up dumping it at a loss, and was glad to get out of it.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
5 quarts low on oil should have been setting off lights or alarms. It should only hold 6-7 quarts when full if is a gasser !!
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am sorry that as newbies, you walked into a "pig in a poke" RV. Honestly, most of these are items that should have been noticed at pre-delivery inspection (PDI). There are dealers out there that will take advantage of the unknowing new RV buyer. I do not know how they sleep at night.

Ken
Old 05-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #14

KevinKate - buyer and seller are both to blame. I bought my bus in November, so winter too. I test drove it, made the seller 1/2 pay for a 3 year 30 mile extended guarantee. I slept in the motor home the first night in the dealership. I spent six hours reading every page of the manuals, and there were hundreds of pages. And I tested every system I could. The next morning to told the seller / consignment dealer to fix the things on my list and call me when done. I flew home. I went back two weeks later and most stuff was fixed. The sellers fixer hoodwinked me on several items that he patched just good enough so I would take the motor home. I expected flim flam. PO's and most sales men (With the exception of Steve Wilson at Holland San Diego) lie pretty much every time they move their lips. I spent the next year getting the coach so all systems are go.

You have unrealistic expectations and the people that sold you the coach are liars. Buy a new RV if you expect the seller to take care of most everything. And even then most people take a year to get issues all fixed.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote