Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #15

About 3 years ago I was looking to upgrade my old 27 foot class C.

I wanted a class A, ideally 32-34 feet long. Look at new ones... saw the price... NO WAY!

Started looking at used rigs, including some DP. My price range was about 80K. It seems that all the good class A ones were from about 2003 and up.

I found that the shorter used RV's were more expensive than the longer used ones. The 32 footer I was looking for was about 60K. But the used 38 footer was about 40-45K. Used DP's were 60K and up but had many more miles and more wear and tear.

All things considered, I bought a 38 foot used 2004 rig. It only had 22K on it. However the paint was fading and the decals were peeling off which made it look damn ugly. Paid 35K from a private owner. Then paid 4K to get the paint/decals fixed.

Do I wish it was a diesel... sure. But it gets me everywhere I need to go. Its a good ride too. I think I wanted a DP more than I really needed one. Most of my rv'ing is local. In three years, I've used it least 8-10 times per year, but only put 12 K miles on it.

Maintenance has been nothing out of the ordinary. Its been rock solid.

Buy used, don't be afraid of the year. With the money you save, you can fix a whole lot of stuff.

mauricedorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 01:34 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
I know I like the looks and features of Tiffin Allegro Open Road models like the 31SA but am concerned with quality. I keep hearing buy prior to 2008. And I don't really want to pay the price for a new coach.
FWIW if you hang around much there is little talk of problems with either Tiffin or Newmar. The problem is usually finding something you like at a price you can deal with. I would expect any year of those makers to be decent to start with so it comes down to how well they were cared for. It's sort of like buying a used caddy or lincoln. ;-)
Old 10-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
My suggestion would be to stay in the 2004 -2007 range. These models will have better engine management systems (on the Cummins at least), usually full body paint and styling that really is quite similar to a 5 year old coach, and the TV cabinets are usually shaped to accept LCD upgrades easier if they haven't been already.

Ours is 2005 and most people think its relatively new when they first see it.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #19

Add me to the list recommending used over new. This is my only new coach and it has been to Freightliner three times, Cummins twice, Newmar factory twice, all in the first year. Recalls, updates, campaigns, blah blah. Love the coach wish I would have let someone else debug it like I did the first two. Then there is letting someone else take the heavy early depreciation.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricedorri View Post
About 3 years ago I was looking to upgrade my old 27 foot class C.

I wanted a class A, ideally 32-34 feet long. Look at new ones... saw the price... NO WAY!

Started looking at used rigs, including some DP. My price range was about 80K. It seems that all the good class A ones were from about 2003 and up.

I found that the shorter used RV's were more expensive than the longer used ones. The 32 footer I was looking for was about 60K. But the used 38 footer was about 40-45K. Used DP's were 60K and up but had many more miles and more wear and tear.

All things considered, I bought a 38 foot used 2004 rig. It only had 22K on it. However the paint was fading and the decals were peeling off which made it look damn ugly. Paid 35K from a private owner. Then paid 4K to get the paint/decals fixed.

Do I wish it was a diesel... sure. But it gets me everywhere I need to go. Its a good ride too. I think I wanted a DP more than I really needed one. Most of my rv'ing is local. In three years, I've used it least 8-10 times per year, but only put 12 K miles on it.

Maintenance has been nothing out of the ordinary. Its been rock solid.

Buy used, don't be afraid of the year. With the money you save, you can fix a whole lot of stuff.
Excellent advice above! One comment regarding diesel vrs gasser that sticks in my mind is once you stop for the night, it doesn't matter if the engine runs on diesel or gas! We purchased a used DP because:

• it suited our needs
  • we liked a diesel generator
  • Liked the engine in the rear
  • Liked the air bag suspension
  • Liked the towing capacity
  • Liked the basement storage
  • Liked the large holding tanks
  • Liked the Allison transmission
  • We also planned on driving it a LOT. 17,000 miles in 18 months.
Had we planned on using it less or mostly locally we would probably have ended up with a gas engine, assuming we could find a Workhorse. Without going into Workhorse vrs Ford V-10 a lot, price a short block Workhorse vrs a short or long block Ford V-10 . . . . . So even if the worst happened to the engine, we could just have replaced the entire engine. Of course choosing a Workhorse limits the model years you can buy since Workhorse is no longer offered since maybe 2007? Someone will correct me on the year I'm sure!

Whatever you choose, have a professional inspection done on both the chassis and coach by someone NOT the Seller! Make you offer contingent on your satisfaction with the inspection results.

Buy it and most of all USE IT!!!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
15 years ago we bought a 7 year old rig. We have put about 80,000 miles on it.

Still have it and can rely on it doing its job.

2008 started some hard times in the luxury recreational market that may affect quality of used rigs.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMontgomer View Post
I know I like the looks and features of Tiffin Allegro Open Road models like the 31SA but am concerned with quality. I keep hearing buy prior to 2008. And I don't really want to pay the price for a new coach.
Our 2015 31SA is our first RV. We ordered it exactly how we wanted it, picked it up in March 2015. We started looking at mid-entry level gassers given our preliminary budget, but once we saw the Tiffins, our decision was made very quickly, original budget out the window, and deciding on the 31SA was fairly easy at that point.

We have over 15,000 miles of travel, and have traveled over 7 months in the last year and a half. Our trips have included three 1 month trips, and this summer a 3 month and 6,300 mile adventure to the Rockies.

It is only 2 of us, younger than many here on th forum, no pets, and we are not large folks, any of which can / do have an impact on how big of a coach you will be comfortable with. We also have no need to tow anything more than 5,000 pounds. So, just setting a foundation....

We have yet to see any coach, new or used, that make us second guess our choice. When we started looking, we quickly determined that we were not interested in gassers more than a year or two old given what we felt were some significant improvements over the last couple of years, and when it came down to our "true all in cost" (coach, taxes, toad related costs, equipping the coach, and having a warranty) and getting exactly what we wanted, the cost savings of a "near new" used unit was not compelling. Saving money buying what you don't really want costs a lot of money sooner or later.

As for older DPs, we really had and still have, no interest in a 10-12 year old coach (to even get reasonably close to what we paid) for a long list of reasons. And I still can't picture us in / drving some 40'er (every time I sit in the driver's seat of a 40'er, I feel like Ralph Cramdon :-)). For those that like the older coaches, good for them, and I am happy they are happy.

OK, I have to admit (which I did in another post) that getting an old 40' "no slide" Foretravel and doing a complete retro fit, mechanical and coach, would be very cool, but I figure that would really start pushing into $200k territory, which isn't going to happen. And we'd still love to have an Airstream TT some day, but given how we travel, not sure that one would really be practical (which is why we didn't get one to start with).

As for quality, we have had no trip impacting issues other than a propane valve failure last April and Tiffin reimbursed is for a local repair done at our camp site. Other issues have been minor, and have been fixed in a fair and reasonable manner at our convieience by our dealer. We did make a choice after talking to our dealer and Tiffin to drop it off at Tiffin and have them fix a potential issue with our shower stall, and coincidently time wise, an issue with our furnace that popped up the night before we went to Red Bay, but our dealer would have addressed the shower concern if it had not been reasonably convienient for us to drop it off at the factory.

There is no one or perfect answer........ Which is actually a great thing. You need to determine what is most important for you, then go with it. But don't be that paranoid about a new coach, as there are many horror stories on buying used too..........

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #23

Looking for a new coach is an exhausting and potential long process. We knew we had to upgrade from our slick slide Bounder which we purchased well before contemplating full time.

We set a budget of $70,000 and looked at used gassers and older DP's. Loved the late '90's Foretravels....197 gal gas tank, 105 gal grey, etc etc. But ultimately it was all about floor plan and interior features. We wanted driver side slides and plenty of bedroom storage.

Met some folks, who have become good friends, with a 39' Workhorse Siena with all residential appliances and build by the old Alfa gang. Decided we liked the 35' version (same W22 chassis). Ended up buying a 2010 model on a late 2008 chassis and people are floored when the see the interior. Tons of Corian, Kohler fixtures, residential appliances including 30' range.

Only 185 of these Siena's were built from 2006-2010 and most were 39'. Downside, of course, is while the company in Riverside is still in business building tour busses, manufacturer service does not exist. With 22,000 miles now we hope we are good to go for a while, but time will tell.

But its a great looking coach with plenty of storage and an interior that is bright, incredibly comfortable and a cooks dream. Ultimately, gas or diesel, 35 or 40, it all comes down to floorplan and how the coach works for you.

I know a lot of people replace coaches frequently, but I believe if you do your homework and don't just jump in, you can secure a motor home which will serve you well for years to come. Just keep up with maintenance, watch the tires and use it frequently.

Enjoy the search....
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #24

I noted that Bretz RV in Missoula MT has a couple late model Tiffins and even though they are used they are almost as expensive as new ones...especially when you consider most don't pay asking prices on new ones...

I think I will wait until next year, maybe I will just be content to enjoy what we have.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:53 AM   #25

gmann, you should probably move this to the classified section as it is a violation of the rules to sell items on the actual forums.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:27 AM   #26

We owned a 33 gasser on a workhorse chassis with an Allison transmission. Bought it 1 year old and kept it for 10 yrs. it served us well and the wife was upset about storage when we got our new to us DP, a 36' with 14,000 miles on it. Other than that, it has been great. 350 hp cat has plenty of power and no def because it is an 06. I wanted an 08 or older for that reason. It still looks new and engine in the rear is so nice as I'm hard of hearing. Air suspension is great too. I'm happy!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Add me to the used category vs new question! Last year we got our 2006 Southwind 32VS. It only had 6,000 miles on it and virtually no wear and tear inside. The outside was as shiny and clean and any of the new coaches on the lot next to it.

Our previous MH was a brand new 2006 Class C. The 1st year was miserable. Here's some of what we went through:
- Cabover cap coming apart
- In the shop 3 times for transmission problems
- Electrical systems failure, burned out wires, transfer switch, etc...
- Many weeks in the shop for repair under threat of legal action

Once we got all of the major problems sorted out we had 9 years of good times. But that experience did sour me on "brand new" coaches. RV'ing friends had similar problems with new coaches.

So, when the time came to change up, we found our very gently used Southwind, and so far have been extremely pleased with it.

Our Southwind 32VS "Goggins"
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goggins 2016.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	142014
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:45 PM   #28

Our 2007 Itasca Horizon 40FD is on a 2006 chassis and as such is pre DEF and pre DPF. That means fewer complicated systems and failures. I have a high quality DP and haven't seen anything newer that would make me part with her. Buying used requires DD for a buyer and it can be a far better purchase rather than new.

Tags
class a