Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Here's another point to consider. Very few financial institutions will provide loans on RV's no longer in production. If you are financing a large amount of the purchase, you may have difficulty finding funding.

Since the economic collapse and the multiple bank bailouts there have been some unusual rules and regs put in place by the various banks.

No RV's from companies no longer in business
Nothing over 6 years old

Take your time, find a coach that you love at a price you can't pass up, then go for it. We searched for almost two years before we located our 02 Newmar Mt. Aire DP on the east coast for 69,000. With winter approaching, there will be some outstanding deals in the coming months. Don't let your excitement crowd you wallet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We bought a true orphan 1 year ago; a 2008 National RV Pacifica 40D. It was new & we paid less than 40% of list. We are VERY pleased and have had no issues that we either couldn't fix ourselves (very minor) or were covered by original warranties of components. We had no issues with financing with USAA. We would NOT steer clear of an orphan. These can be excellent deals.

Frantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Go for it... I have an HR Endeavor and wish I could of (at the time) been able to afford a Beaver.
WeBeGone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #18

When we financed last year there was no problem with financing an orphan. We did find that a couple companies charged 1/2 point extra because of it. The bank we went with did not. And we also did not have a problem getting financing on a coach over 6 years old. We did find that the extended warranty people wanted the coach to be less than 10 years old.

The previous posted that just went from FL to Alaska mirrors our impressions of Beavers - beautiful interiors in all lines and a bit short of basement storage. The Marquis models are absolutely palatial inside. Works of wood working art. We liked the Patriot Thunders a lot. We just could not find one we liked as well as our Country Coach or we would have bought a Beaver.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #19

I bought an 06 Patriot Thunder a year ago and paid $150K for it. It had 16,000 miles, was a 42 foot 4 slide model. Nicely equipped, didn't have the radar cruise control and brakes, but I can't say I need that, otherwise a very complete package.

It had an original extended warranty through to next year, and so far I have replaced 2 of the 3 AC units, the aquahot board, and some other bits (mostly under the warranty). The issues all stem from it being a Florida coach parked outside. The only thing that went wrong with it that was a Monaco/Beaver issue was the TV - first it was replaced by the original owner because Monaco put plasma units in and they fold up into the ceiling (this destroys plasma tvs apparently), and the mechanism that raises and lowers the tv tends to jam with the tv up. Since the manual release is ONLY accessible when the tv is down this is very inconvenient.

I have a theory - all RVs are designed by idiots, built by drunks, and sold by liars (apologies to any persons actually involved in any of these activities, but if you have ever owned an RV you will know why I formed this theory), and if you are lucky, fixed by honest men. The footnote to my theory is that I must be a fool for buying one.

Beavers are no different than any other used coach. All the major parts are still available from Monaco. Most of what failed on my coach is the same 3rd party stuff used by Tiffen, Country Coach, etc., and all is available.

No reason to fear a Beaver, just take advantage of the reluctance of others to buy one and get a better deal. Then enjoy your coach.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Yea, OK, Whatever....

Try to get the "new monaco" to get you some beaver exclusive parts...you'll be in the same boat as we alpine orphans..
Other than some of the most exquisite woodworking you will ever see in a motorhome I don't know what kind of "beaver exclusive parts" the new Monaco company couldn't obtain for a Beaver coach. We just came from the Monaco service center in Coburg and I didn't hear any grumbling from the three Beaver owners parked out front. Now an Alpine coach owner with their proprietory Peak chassis is an entirely different story.

Long story short, a Beaver Patriot Thunder is on my short list of dream coaches
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman 1 View Post
Other than some of the most exquisite woodworking you will ever see in a motorhome I don't know what kind of "beaver exclusive parts" the new Monaco company couldn't obtain for a Beaver coach. We just came from the Monaco service center in Coburg and I didn't hear any grumbling from the three Beaver owners parked out front. Now an Alpine coach owner with their proprietory Peak chassis is an entirely different story.

Long story short, a Beaver Patriot Thunder is on my short list of dream coaches
NOthing wrong with Beavers...What I'm saying is that if you need body parts or anything that was "exclusive" to beaver...you'll be in the same boat with we Alpine, Alpha, National, and Country Coach owners...

And If I ever need "peak chassis" parts, I believe my coach would be a total loss, and I wouldnt want it repaired with that much damage!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #22

I am with Snowman (better be, I bought one), there is pretty much nothing unique to the later Beavers (after Monaco bought them). If you crushed a fiberglass panel on the nose or rear you might have to have it repaired, but that is not that difficult.

Other than the cabinets and trim, everything in the coach is either stock Monaco, or bought from one of the usual 3rd party suppliers.

The true orphans may pose some issues, particularly for me because I intended to bring it into Canada, and for that you need a letter from the manufacturer. I looked at Monaco, and particularly the Beaver as an opportunity. Monaco was in receivership when I bought it, it was known that Navistar was stepping in, and that Beaver would be dropped. This created a poor selling environment for Beavers that had no real underlying reason, so it gave me the chance to buy a good coach fairly cheaply.

No reason to run from a Beaver, except the condition of the coach itself.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #23

Ron and Marsha,

We've only had our 2008 Contessa Westport 42 since March. So far we love the coach. I would not worry about Monaco/Navistar not producing the Beaver line any longer. Parts are still available from Monaco for anything you can't find the direct manufacturer for. I wanted a tag axle unit given many 40-footers with a single rear axle are close to being over weight. Besides that, they look cool :-) So, when we found this one, we couldn't resist.

ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote