Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #1

Buying a Beaver--good or bad idea!

We are shopping a different MH. Beaver is a consideration but skeptical on purchasing something that is no longer being produced.

Any thoughts to help me process this idea will be appreciated.

Other brand consideration is Tiffin Allegro Bay.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure what year you are looking at but if its relatively new you still will have the warranty for the motor for 5 years if its a Cat which I assume it is. Allison transmission will have separate warranty as will all your appliances and electronics. The chassis and body are the areas that won't be covered by the manufacturer but you can consider buying an extend warranty with an orphan policy for the first year that's not covered by the manufacturer if its brand new. Monaco is still in business and if I need parts for the chassis its not a problem because they used Roadmaster chassis in Monaco, Beaver and Holiday Rambler and two of the three models are still being made, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Guess what I'm saying is if you like the coach and the price is right I wouldn't let the fact that Monaco has dropped the Beaver line stop you from buying the coach. And if your worried about issues arising on the coach, if new, consider buying the extended warranty. I purchased the extended warranty but in hind site probably would not have done it. I think I would have been money ahead if I had just set the money aside.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
While you did not mention the Beaver model you are looking at, as an owner of a Monaco product and being somewhat familiar with some Beaver coaches, I can assure you that they are typically a very fine coach.

While the new owner of Monaco (Navistar) has elected to discontinue building the Beaver line (at least for the present), every time I've looked at Beavers I've been impressed. The guy next door to me where I keep my Camelot has a Patriot Thunder and that is a very impressive machine.

I know you will find many on this forum who have Tiffins and love that product line as well and they are also excellent coaches. But as a current owner of a Winnebago product, you certainly understand how few of the parts in these things are actually manufacturered by whoever is assembling the coach. That said, I had no qualms buying my orphan Camelot last December and it's worked out very well so far. My non-existent warranty would have been up in two months and as it's turned out, it appears I didn't need it. Assuming you can get a real good price on an orphan Beaver, I would suggest you give it serious consideration.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Beavers are very high quality coaches.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #5

Do you think $150K for a 2005 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV (4 slide) 400 hp Cat 11K miles is too high? Clean coach, stored indoors, obviously not used much.

Any replies appreciated.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
NADA base low retail is $115K average is $128K. $150K is probably too high. Most Coaches can be had from private sellers at low retail, options mean very little on re-sale of a MH. Most private sellers think their's is worth more and often, because they are upside down on a loan.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

That's what I was thinking too. It's a consignment sale so the dealer has to make something on the transaction. He actually started at $173K as a dream price, as far as I know he doesn't owe anything on the coach.

Guess we'll keep negotiating.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don't fear an orphan....everything can be repaired

the only mfg exclusives are coach and frame
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #9

Motorhomes are selling priced between NADA wholesale and low retail. Right now with the economy you can get them at wholesale or below. I had a friend who just bought a 2004 Navigator with the Cummins ISM-500 for $170K and it only had 25K miles on it and was kept in a garage. The problem is a lot of people are trying to get what they owe out of the motorhome and it is just not going to happen right now. It is a buyers market.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Don't fear an orphan....everything can be repaired

the only mfg exclusives are coach and frame
Beaver is NOT an "orphan" MH. The mfg.(Monaco) decided not to include them in their new line of vehicles however the coach and chassis (frame) is the same.
Note we own an '04 Santiam (bottom of the line) and have seen few if any motorhomes from that era with the same quality (with same msrp)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

There is certainly no comparison between any Beaver and an Allegro Bay. Not knocking Tiffin - I luv 'em - but those two rigs are in entirely different classes. An Allegro Bus is close to a Beaver, but not an Allegro Bay.

Beavers are a high class rig and were known for beauteous interior woodworking, though the recent models are the same as any other high end Monaco brand. Older Beavers (pre-2004) are classic examples of fine woodworking. And a pre-2004 Marquis is almost a work of art by itself.

There were some problems with the Magnum chassis in the last 90's, though. Drive train vibration and noise, so listen carefully if you are considering one of those. Later Beavers used a Roadmaster (Monaco) chassis and share its plusses and minuses.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Beaver is NOT an "orphan" MH. The mfg.(Monaco) decided not to include them in their new line of vehicles however the coach and chassis (frame) is the same.
Yea, OK, Whatever....

Try to get the "new monaco" to get you some beaver exclusive parts...you'll be in the same boat as we alpine orphans..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:41 PM   #13

Many Beavers are great motor homes. The build quality is very high and the interiors are the very best in the production coaches. Just make sure the one you are looking at have a long enough wheelbase for the house (Some do not). And also make sure it has sufficient CCCs for what you want to carry. Some of the absolutely gorgeous Marquis models are so heavy their have little capacity for additional weight. When we were looking to buy a motor home a year ago the three brands we liked the best were Country Coach, Beaver, and Alpine. Orphans all. So what! We bought a Country Coach and have had zero problems getting service or parts. Beaver did not go out of business their parent is just not currently making them. I met a very happy owner this last weekend with a 2006 44' Beaver that loved his. It was a beauty. We were in Pio Pico in S Cal.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #14

We have a 04 Beaver Monterey Laguna. We bought it used in 07, and since it was with a dealer we also got a 4 year extended warranty. We love our Beaver. We have so many extras that we didn't even know we wanted! We just got back from a diagonal cross-continent, Florida/Alaska trip. We spent three months in luxury aboard our Beaver. The only problem we encountered was a flat tire caused by a defective tire pressure monitoring system sensor. We paid $145K for it in O7 and feel that we got a great deal. Did I say that we love our Beaver? The carrying capacity could be better and the basement storage could be larger, but otherwise it is a great coach. We love the beautiful natural cherry wood and the great Beaver fit and finish.+
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote