Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 04:33 AM   #1
csp

Monaco Owners Club
buying a diesel coach

I am looking to buy a diesel coach. I want something around an 05, at least 3 slides(2 living room), and around 40 feet. We just sold a 95 Monaco Dynasty that we owned for 6 years, put 40,000 miles on it, and had it in 49 states. It was just getting old and we want something newer with slides. It ran and drove very well.
I am reading about some coaches no riding well, swaying, hard to drive. Some say it is because 4 airbag suspension and others blame it on other things.
What are some opinions about the ride and drive quality between the 4 and 8 air bags coaches? Which coaches should I stay away from? Which coaches would be good to look at. I found a good price on an 04 Diplomat but I heard they have trailing arms that crack and do not ride well. Any advice would be helpful.

If anyone know of any coaches for sale please let me know. I am not against buying one that needs interior work, mechanical work, or minor exterior work.

Thank You Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #2
csp

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I should add that our 95 Monaco Dynasty was an 8 airbag suspension. I have never had a 4 air bag system coach so I do not know have they drive and ride.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:44 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would look at the Diplomats / Endevors they have a solid reputation and have the RR8R chassis with 8 air bags. I have an 07 Diplomat that I purchased new and just posted this info on a member looking at an 05 Dip.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 AM   #4

I have a 2004 Newmar with 4 airbags and the ride is great and it is easy to drive. I would think that test drives would tell you a lot about any coach you are considering.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

IMO the 4 vs 8 bag thing is all hype. Both systems have to have enough air volume and pressure to support the weight of the body, so its just 8 smaller bags vs 4 larger ones.

There may be some difference in the location of the air bags due to the design of the Roadmaster chassis suspension, i.e. the subframe. That ends up having the air bags further outboard than the Spartan & Freightliner chassis suspension designs, which theoretically might reduce the tendency for body roll. However, I think roll (or not) is mostly a matter of how well the chassis and body are matched up. Some RV makers skimp on the chassis size (wheelbase, GVWR, etc.) in some or all their models, trying to keep the price sticker lower. That makes for a poorer ride overall.

You had a Dynasty, a top end model. If you buy a newer but similar grade of coach, I don't think you need worry about ride quality and handling very much. Might even be better!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:58 AM   #6

With the experience you already have, I would think a test drive would tell you everything you'd need to know about a particular coach's handling. My 4 bag Newmar rides and handles great.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:27 AM   #7
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you for the responses. Everything I am finding is many miles away. I do not mind going far away to get a new coach. I would like to test drive a 4 bag coach but I do not want to drive it unless I am serious about buying it. It always seems like the good deals are the farthest ones away.
Are there any coaches I need to stay away from? Anything on some I need to look for?
Thank You again Chris
Old 11-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Thank you for the responses. Everything I am finding is many miles away. I do not mind going far away to get a new coach. I would like to test drive a 4 bag coach but I do not want to drive it unless I am serious about buying it. It always seems like the good deals are the farthest ones away.
Are there any coaches I need to stay away from? Anything on some I need to look for?
Thank You again Chris

The 4 bag chassis that has a poor reputation is the entry level Monaco Roadmaster design. It was generally a inadequate design and in no way reflects on the 4 bag chassis produced by Freightliner and Spartan. The chassis used for the Diplomat and Endeavor is the RR8R (8 bag) Roadmaster chassis which enjoyed a long run as one of Monaco's most successful chassis.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
I have a 2004 Newmar with 4 airbags and the ride is great and it is easy to drive. I would think that test drives would tell you a lot about any coach you are considering.
I also have a '04 Newmar DSDP. Rides and drives great. Give Newmar a try, you'll like it!!
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:22 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have driven the RR8R, RR10R and I have a Spartan Mountain Master with 4 air springs. The front axle has independent suspension. They drive just about the same. I'm not a FL fan. Now the newer FL chassis have independent front suspension which is an improvement over the solid front axle suspension. Also Newmar has the comfort drive starting in the 2007 coaches.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
I have driven the RR8R, RR10R and I have a Spartan Mountain Master with 4 air springs. The front axle has independent suspension. They drive just about the same. I'm not a FL fan. Now the newer FL chassis have independent front suspension which is an improvement over the solid front axle suspension. Also Newmar has the comfort drive starting in the 2007 coaches.
Just curious why you are not a FL fan?
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For years they used a solid front axle. The independent front suspension rode and drove better as far as I was concerned. That's all.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #13

Owning a 2003 dynasty tag axle 10 bag I will tell you it rode very hard and stiff. Actually sold the coach because of that, I would stick with the Freightliner or Spartan chassis, Key word being IFS
Unfortunately you won't find independent front suspension on any old Monaco!
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Chris, what City, State are you from, that would help in assisting you on coach's for sale.

Besides the higher end Monaco's since you have familiarity, I would look at Newmar upper end coach's and American's. I specifically only listed these 3 as I looked at all 3 when I purchased both of my used coach's. I don't know enough about other mfg's to provide an opinion.

I have owned 2 American Eagles and I am simply amazed by the excellent customer support I get from American when I call, just today I called and I crunched my 6 pin electrical connector on passenger power seat in the slide out, within 15 minutes they emailed me the possible connectors to verify which one I need as one example. Keep in mind I bought both used, simply provided my FIN (Fleetwood Identification Number). I was on hold less than 3 minutes prior to speaking with customer service.

Good luck on your search.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel