Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #1

Hi, everybody
I am new to this site, I was directed here by my brother in NJ, who has been an RVer for quite a few years.

I live in central FL, My wife and I decided to change our lifestyle & join the ranks of people who know what vacations and relaxation are all about...you the RVers.

My problem is this. What maker of motorcoach to purchase. I have always heard the names : Winnebago, and Itasca and Coachmen. Well I am so confused. I hear through conversations that Coachmen has a rep of leaking, I hear that Winn & Itasca are good but overpriced. We have been doing some driving around our area (many RV dealerships) and have come across Thor Industries & Gulfstream.

Gulfstream had the nicest floorplan of all the different RVs we saw, I wonder if they make a quality coach. Thor Industries, well I've heard of them because I was in transportation involving buses, do they make a quality coach product?
Can some of you please direct me toward or away from anything?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2007, 07:05 AM   #2

Hi, everybody
I am new to this site, I was directed here by my brother in NJ, who has been an RVer for quite a few years.

I live in central FL, My wife and I decided to change our lifestyle & join the ranks of people who know what vacations and relaxation are all about...you the RVers.

My problem is this. What maker of motorcoach to purchase. I have always heard the names : Winnebago, and Itasca and Coachmen. Well I am so confused. I hear through conversations that Coachmen has a rep of leaking, I hear that Winn & Itasca are good but overpriced. We have been doing some driving around our area (many RV dealerships) and have come across Thor Industries & Gulfstream.

Gulfstream had the nicest floorplan of all the different RVs we saw, I wonder if they make a quality coach. Thor Industries, well I've heard of them because I was in transportation involving buses, do they make a quality coach product?
Can some of you please direct me toward or away from anything?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
We all would like to help but more info is needed. Type of RV, class A,B,C etc.? New or used? How $ do you want to spend? Put out more info and you'll get all the opinions you could ever want.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome unge7701 to irv2.
We have some of the top MFG's forums where you can post a question to members of the type MH your interested in. Some have links to MFG sites and Dealers where you can build your own coach and have a price for options you may want.
I have provided a links to know what you maybe getting into and what to avoid.
Enjoy the forums and if more question fire away.
Good luck in your quest.

If your buying

Build your own

Check list
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hi, as hondo122 states, you need to decide type, size, gas or diesel-how much you want to spend, how much you will be using it, etc etc. you will het both positive and negative feedback on most companies-like anything else- there cna be problems with any of the rvs-an important point is how does the company treat there customers with problems--I have had both gas and diesel coack with Winnebago and Monaco.Both were good with problems, Monaco even helped me out when the rv was out of warranty- thats what I call service! Good luck with your decision-but see and drive as many as you can once you have a better idea of what you want.
Living the Dream------ Largo, Fl.
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 PM   #6

Hi unge, also in your tear and compare question, you need to think how meny compnions will be travelling with you, is storage important, i.e. what toys will you be taking with you, what type of sleeping do you want, i.e. some rigs have corner beds, tough for at least one of a couple getting inand out, let alone making it. Are you only going to go to campgrounds with hook-ups or will you be boondocking, i.e. no hook-ups where you might want to have a generator. Like someone else already said provide a little more data and you will get inundated with info. much is purely opinion; but, most is , Ken, '04 DSDP...
Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
paz

Unge7701, welcome to irv2.com.

Choosing your first RV can be very overwhelming. You may already know the answers to some of the questions that are being asked, but others may take weeks or months to answer. The first question that needs answering is how you going to use your RV - weekends, extended travel, fulltime? This may well determine type, size, new or used, gas or diesel, etc. Have you definitely decided on a motorhome or would a travel trailer or fifth wheel suit your style better?

IMO, one of the best things you can do is visit as many RV shows and as many RV dealers as you can. Talk to as many RVers as you can. Look at things beyond floorplans and interior colors. Look at the slide seals. Are they nice and flat or are there ripples and gaps? Look to see how things are put together. Do they use screws or staples? Do things fit well or are there gaps? Check the cargo carying capacity. Some RVs weigh so much there is little capacity left for your "stuff."

Here is a link to a site that provides user Rv Reviews. You will probably get as many opinions as there are RVers. Don't get discouraged and good luck.

BTW, we are very pleased with our Tiffin Allegro Bay. Tiffin is a small company with emphasis on customer service.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:05 AM   #8

Sorry I did'nt give enough info.
We are looking for an RV for about 2 or 3 one week vacations per year & most likely a minimum of one weekend per month.

We are looking for a class "c" motor home. We are a family of 4. There is a possibility of having 6 at times.

We want to buy a new motorhome, I believe used is usually somebody else's past headache.

When starting out, we were'nt sure how much we wanted to spend, because we had no idea of the cost. After doing some shopping & investigating, I think the we wanna stay in the 70's.

I always preferred diesel in a truck of this size, but I am learning that I may not have too many options in this category. But I would love to know if the gas engines are able to do the job & if mileage is a big difference.

The size is an issue that has not been decided yet, most likely high 20's to low 30 foot range.
I am pushing for a 31 footer, my wife is still kickin it around.

I hope I have given enough info to get some help, length of warranty & customer service will be two huge factors in what we purchase.

I've learned that most of the chassis have the standard 3yr/36,000 mile warranty, is there a standard warranty I should be looking for with the coach?

Thanks for the info so far & the links...I am looking forward to more responses.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 AM   #9

unge, it sounds like you are doing your homework. Given your projected cost/usage, your targeted class C likely fits the bill well. We ran class C's for years when the family was still traveling with us. The class C easily sleeps 4 or more better with two full beds + couch & dinnett, but generally has less usable day-time seating since driver & passenger chairs don't turn. Search the internet/e-bay and you should be able to easily find a new 30' meeting your price or less.
We had a 31' with the old 2-valve V-10 (less HP than todays 3-valve) and pulled a toad. It did just fine and got about 10mpg on average. Most models now seem to be built on the Ford E 450 chasis having running gear, and to some extent floorplans, so I'd suggest you just look closely at the fit and finish as a guage on how well they are built.
If well maintained, they will all last a long time. Fear not those preowned, I've sold several of my own and the buyers got a solid, ready to roll bargain, every time.
Welcome to the wonderfull world of RVing, enjoy!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
unge7701,
Consider focusing on the floor plan as the most critical requirement. View the coaches in:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>travel
<LI>eating
<LI>sleeping (who sleeps where)
<LI>entertaining (watching TV or playing games)[/list]configurations. You put the coach into the different configurations. Can you actually do the tasks necessary? With the slides closed, can you get to the bathroom? Can you open the refer door? Can people get what they need? Look at the storage. Can you carry, in a place that is easy to get to, what you need? Can the person preparing the meals so so in this coach, based on the kitchen capacities and actual eating area?

How much weight can you carry? If there is only a few hundred pounds of carrying capacity, look for another coach.

Lastly, how much weight can you tow? Having a towed vehicle is almost a mandatory requirement.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by unge7701:
Sorry I did'nt give enough info.
We are looking for an RV for about 2 or 3 one week vacations per year & most likely a minimum of one weekend per month.

We are looking for a class "c" motor home. We are a family of 4. There is a possibility of having 6 at times.

We want to buy a new motorhome, I believe used is usually somebody else's past headache.

When starting out, we were'nt sure how much we wanted to spend, because we had no idea of the cost. After doing some shopping & investigating, I think the we wanna stay in the 70's.

I always preferred diesel in a truck of this size, but I am learning that I may not have too many options in this category. But I would love to know if the gas engines are able to do the job & if mileage is a big difference.

The size is an issue that has not been decided yet, most likely high 20's to low 30 foot range.
I am pushing for a 31 footer, my wife is still kickin it around.

I hope I have given enough info to get some help, length of warranty & customer service will be two huge factors in what we purchase.

I've learned that most of the chassis have the standard 3yr/36,000 mile warranty, is there a standard warranty I should be looking for with the coach?

Thanks for the info so far & the links...I am looking forward to more responses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The only input I can give is on the "somebodies past headache". Look through the forums, you will see many prefer used so all of the manufacturers kinks have been worked out. I bought our lightly used coach at a great price and am very happy with it. Just did a quick search on ebay http://tinyurl.com/3btjly
I have no interest in this rig just thought I'd show you what is out there.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Do a lot of personal inspection up close, especially behind the visible surface inside and outside, stick your hands into holes where your eyes can't go, push on walls. Even if you plan to buy new, it really helps if you can look at some used rigs from each mfg you are considering to see how they tend to hold up. You will begin to get a sense of quality materials and construction, and the lack thereof. Don't believe ANYTHING you read or are told without checking it out yourself as well as you can.

As to warranties, most have a 1 yr warranty on the house part. Most have 3 yr warranty on chassis. Winnebago also has 3 yr warranty on slide, and 15 yr warranty on the fiberglass roof.

I've never heard anyone say Winnebago/Itasca are "overpriced." I do know that Winnebago has won the RVIA quality award every year since it's inception, and is the ONLY RV mfg to do so. You can spend less money, and you can spend a lot more, but my personal research and inspection process brought me to believe you are very unlikey to get more for your money than with a Winnebago/Itasca.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #13

If your only going to use it two or three times a year; I would suggest renting; cheaper and no worry.