RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

Buying a new tiffin have model questions 38QBA 37PA???? Help

Hey every one so I have messed around in here a little bit and thanks as always
I was going to purchase a 2011 tiffin 38QBA 20k miles but starter to thinking about going new

My questions are the 18í 38QBA I love the layout with 2 kids and friends it is perfect to the tee besides the RV fridge and not a home style and head lots of issues with ::///// maybe some one comment

Then the tiffin 37PA is premium as well and I like it but donít love it....

Thoughts? Ideas? Other options??? Am I crazy hahahahaha

lmldura is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2018, 04:21 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 34PA in on my short list for a next coach in another year or two but if your travel plans involve kids, ours does not, then 38QBA is going to be a better match.

An RV, aka absorption fridge, will work fine. Residentials have their place and I have one in my coach but if you just starting out an absorption might be a better fit initially. Just set it on auto and head out. There's a little more too it but not much.

New is always nice but the first year warranty work can be a real PITA. Would rather have a well maintained rig that is out of warranty then a new one.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
The 34PA in on my short list for a next coach in another year or two but if your travel plans involve kids, ours does not, then 38QBA is going to be a better match.

An RV, aka absorption fridge, will work fine. Residentials have their place and I have one in my coach but if you just starting out an absorption might be a better fit initially. Just set it on auto and head out. There's a little more too it but not much.

New is always nice but the first year warranty work can be a real PITA. Would rather have a well maintained rig that is out of warranty then a new one.

Really??? Thanks this is all good info..... any thoughts insight???? Heard 2011 had recalls or some thing
Old 05-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Just picked up our new 37PA today and love it. We chose it because of the layout with large living area.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Just picked up our new 37PA today and love it. We chose it because of the layout with large living area.

Is their a difference in size with the two living rooms compared
Old 05-09-2018, 05:28 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmldura View Post
Really??? Thanks this is all good info..... any thoughts insight???? Heard 2011 had recalls or some thing
A RV fridge is not without its faults. They are slow to cool down and when you load them up with warm items (case of 12oz beverages for example) the internal temps will rise and take time to recover. The plus side as long as you can keep a bit of 12VDC going to the controller and some propane they will stay cold. Set it to auto (AC or propane auto select) and head on out.

The other side of the coin with a residential model you'll will need a DC to AC power inverter and potentially additional battery capacity to sustain the fridge when AC power from shore or the coach generator is not available. You'll also need to manage the available DC power capacity a bit closer when AC power is not available. Let the batteries drop to low and the inverter shuts down. No inverter the fridge shuts down. Takes a while to happen but this is what I meant by the added complexity. Battery power management to support the fridge isn't difficult but if this is your first rodeo it's just one more thing on the long list of stuff to keep in mind when on the road.

The recalls, as I understand, it were safety related to ensure the heating side of the fridge did not overheat and catch fire. There were and still are fires associated with the fridge. Never bothered me when I had a RV fridge. Odds are higher for blowing a tire or getting up close and personal with another vehicle while on the move. A bit like air travel. Most dangerous part is getting to or from the airport. The fridge I had worked without fault from the day I acquired the coach (April 2011) until June last year a week before departure for summer vacation. I guess it reached its use by date or the coach critical use detector detected a critical use and activated. The coach budget was limited at the time and without the fridge the vacation would have been, well let's just say difficult. Already had the inverter and the battery capacity to support limited off grid camping so replacing the RV fridge with a residential was a quick (2 day), low cost ($350), easy install in the driveway fix for me.

We each have unique wants, needs and desires. A bit like opinions and backsides. Everyone has one and they all stink but your own.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I think the 37PA has a bit more room and a nicer bathroom as well as a bigger fridge.
Find a dealer that has both and take a look for your self.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
I think the 37PA has a bit more room and a nicer bathroom as well as a bigger fridge.
Find a dealer that has both and take a look for your self.
Have a deposit on one and test driving it tomorrow. How does yours handle on the road. Absolutely perfect floor plan for us.
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #10

Buying a new tiffin have model questions 38QBA 37PA???? Help

I like the 37PA as well and it is on our short list, especially since I have now seen them with a fireplace. My only wish would be a TV on a televator near the dining table. We also like the 36LA.

I agree with Sweetbrier, with two children I would prefer the 38QBA. The need to set up a bed every night would get old fast, at least for me. You might also want to verify that the 37PA can sleep four with the slides in. This ensures that quick overnights like a Walmart stop is still viable.

We visited Tiffin in Red Bay a couple of weeks ago and my wife took the tour (figured it would help generate more excitement about an upgrade!).
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #11

We looked at a 37PA, but with four slides the cargo carrying capacity was only a bit more than 800 pounds.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
We looked at a 37PA, but with four slides the cargo carrying capacity was only a bit more than 800 pounds.

Looking at the 2018 brochure right now, GVWR is 26,000 lb but I donít see the weight in the brochure. Where did you find the information?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Looking at the 2018 brochure right now, GVWR is 26,000 lb but I donít see the weight in the brochure. Where did you find the information?
It was on the sticker in the rig.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
It was on the sticker in the rig.
Does that 800# include driver passenger and 2 dogs? If that's the case I would only have 400# to work with after we got in the coach.

Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, tiffin