Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #15

We bought craigslist private party. Good deal at time and in hindsight. One area that was an issue for us was in getting the CA DMV all sorted out on this out of state purchase. Don't take for granted the hurdles your local DMV may make you go through. Fo us it meant I had to ask the seller, whom cashed his check weeks ago, to take multiple trips to HIS DMV to get further documentation to get for my DMV. It was a headache for him and I appreciated his efforts. I am not sure how obligated he was to do all of that.

Also, for ours, I was paying off a lien. That introduces pain.

Chris

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #16

We live in Kentucky and purchased ours from a dealer (Great Outdoors) in upstate Fulton, New York. Saw the internet ad and talked extensively with the dealer. Dealer even sent us some videos and close-ups of different areas of the RV. Made a great deal, drove my Jeep up (and brought by tow bar), hooked it all up and brought it home.

I'd also, do it all again.

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #17

We had done our research...saw the floor plan we wanted, had the right engine/trans. combo and it had 17K miles on it with low generator hours. We saw it with less than ten minutes before the end of bidding...E-bay. It happened so fast, we knew it was in Florida but that's all. The pics. looked like someone had taken them with a tripod...they were very clear - could even see the knap in the carpet but no 'smell a vision'. We were sweating bullets until we saw...and smelled the interior.

It worked out and we are glad we did it, but swore we'd never do THAT again! Two weeks later, we bought a 2 year old Wrangler some 2 hundred miles away with 4K miles on it...from E-bay.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #18

Where would one find a list of RV inspectors?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have done it twice. Both on e-bay. Both in Dallas area (I'm in CA). I agree with suggestions to research brand, model, year etc. Run VIN check, etc. I spent time on the phone with the sellers asking questions and reviewing the pictures. After I was confident that the units fit my criteria I flew in and inspected both prior to bidding on them so I would know what I was buying. I did not use one but a local inspector can verify condition, etc. I wanted to see for myself before I purchased. Both were reasonably close to the condition described. First hand knowledge allowed me to determine value and negotiate appropriately. Drove them both 1400 miles back to CA with no problems. I also bought a car the same way. The airfare for the inspection was worth the investment for me. Before we found our current coach locally, I was planning to fly to Dallas to look at a Winnebago Adventurer that I had vetted. I would do it again because it broadened the universe of available vehicles allowing us to consider many options that weren't available locally.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMWV View Post
Where would one find a list of RV inspectors?
All I did was do a general search on google for an RV Tech in the town I purchased from. You'll be surprised how easy it can be. If not one in a particular town, then one quite near where you need them to be.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought my coach it was remote from me. About. 500 miles. I researched carfax, pictures , and discussions with the seller. Negotiated a price, tendered a refundable deposit with the final sale contingent upon inspections being satisfactory. Arranged for the seller to take the coach to a local RV dealer for house inspection, and a independent service garage fir the driveline / chassis inspection. After some fixes and renegotiation I then traveled and did my final inspection and accepted the coach and finalized the deal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:40 PM   #22

We bought a consignment unit from General RV in Wayland, MI. I was working in NYS and GF was in OH. Was going to be a 750 drive to see it. Dealer was very upfront about flaws in the unit (which was why it was priced as it was). They didn't want me making the drive and being disappointed any more than I did. Unit was just as described and we bought it.

All you can do is hopefully vet the seller (dealer or individual) enough to know if they are trying to scam you. Personally if I were selling I wouldn't want a pissed off buyer after the fact, even if they had no legal recourse.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
You do have to beware of pictures. Living near PPL Motorhomes I often visit their sales lot and can tell you some coaches don't live up to their photos. There is nothing false or deceptive (as a matter of fact PPL does give an appearance rating in their listings), but you just don't see the flaws in photos.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have bought 2 used coach's, both out of town. First one was a consignment lot, my first Class A, paid Cummins Phoenix to do an inspection and purchased an extended warranty. Second time I bought from an individual 300 miles away with about 20,000 miles on it. I didn't do any professional inspection and no extended warranty, 2 years in no problems.

I think when you look at the unit after vetting it, you will see tell tale signs. I highly recommend taking old jeans and long sleeve t shirt and borrow a old rug or card board and get underneath the unit and do some visual inspections. Look for excess oil, grease, etc.

Good Luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #25

How difficult is it to get these units serviced back home?
Old 12-24-2015, 01:24 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
How difficult is it to get these units serviced back home?
I bought a new rig from a dealer in Texas and brought it back to Washington State. No local dealers wanted the warranty work. That fact, added to Winnebago's already weak service network, means you go to the back of the line for appointments and for warranty service.

In the summer that can be a VERY big problem, because everybody is swamped with work.

It seems almost better to buy locally, even if it's not the best deal, as all new units seem to need a 20-25 item punchlist of warranty work.

I can't speak for the used market, but I believe you are also placed at the back of the line, and get the leftover appointments after they take care of their (purchasing) customers.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:30 AM   #27

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
I bought a new rig from a dealer in Texas and brought it back to Washington State. No local dealers wanted the warranty work. That fact, added to Winnebago's already weak service network, means you go to the back of the line for appointments and for warranty service.

In the summer that can be a VERY big problem, because everybody is swamped with work.

It seems almost better to buy locally, even if it's not the best deal, as all new units seem to need a 20-25 item punchlist of warranty work.

I can't speak for the used market, but I believe you are also placed at the back of the line, and get the leftover appointments after they take care of their (purchasing) customers.
This would be an extremely bad business practice on a shop that depends on loyalty and repeat customers. To turn away any business sets a reputation for the shop in the community of RV owners. You might point that out to anyone that does as you describe.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We're still looking. We have looked at 5 coaches 3-5 hours away. The one that got away sold when we were an hour from the dealer. The other 4 had water leak issues that were not disclosed prior to our visit. We are now reluctant to undertake a longer trip to look at a coach.