Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
This would be an extremely bad business practice on a shop that depends on loyalty and repeat customers. To turn away any business sets a reputation for the shop in the community of RV owners. You might point that out to anyone that does as you describe.
Here's the thing, even now our local dealers are jammed to the gills with service work and I think that is fairly common. When what you are doing works, it is hard to make a case for change.

Just a thought,

Steve

Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 10:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We're still looking. We have looked at 5 coaches 3-5 hours away. The one that got away sold when we were an hour from the dealer. The other 4 had water leak issues that were not disclosed prior to our visit. We are now reluctant to undertake a longer trip to look at a coach.
Boy, do I hear you. We drove 150 miles to a Camping World dealership after calling and discussing the unit we were interested in only to find the dealership was allowing an employee to live in the unit, right there on the lot and "we just discovered" (is what the salesperson said) someone had run into the side of the slide out.

Even being a tech, buying is a difficult process. Either you buy used, and if you are lucky, you only have to repair a few things, or you buy used and hope. It is all such a shell game, in my opinion. Or, you buy new and that opens a whole other set of factors.

Steve

Old 12-24-2015, 10:54 AM   #31

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Bought our 1st (1989 35' Georgie Boy gasser) for $4957 off Ebay. It was 250 miles away. Drove down to pick it up and look it over. Was "close" to the description/pictures but had some engine mechanical issues. Seller said if we didn't want it, he would give us the money (in cash) back. We took it and humped it home (55mph tops) and dug into it. Ended up needing new fuel filter (replaced 3 times) and the correct carburetor gasket. Drove it on a trip from Missouri to New York and back. Only issue was another fuel filter. Son has it now.

Current one (1998 42' Overland Larado DP w/ Slide) was bought thru Craigslist. This one was 370 miles away in Indianapolis, IN. Calls and emails. Pictures. Drove over (we have relatives there) and checked it out. Test drive. Liked it and said we would see about financing. Private seller (salesman by trade) wanted money down to hold. We said we'd take our chances and get back with him. He went to leave and it wouldn't start. (ended up needing an alternator and batteries - he replaced)
Called and went back 3 weeks later to get it. Spent the night in it at an RV park near Indy to check it out. Next day we paid $19, 950 (booked out at +$40,00). Bought a car dolly off of Craigslist for $500 at the SAME RV park we stayed in and towed our car home with us. We now full time in it.

I do my own repairs/maintenance. Things beyond my knowledge/comfort can be handled by Cummins and Freightliner (both in our home-base town). It is an orphaned brand, so warranty/dealer issues do not apply.

To each his own, but we shop for a good deal, where ever it may be.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:02 AM   #32

Being able to do your own work is a tremendous advantage and it removes great deal of the risk when buying. It is always possible to overlook something, but it certainly levels the playing field.

Steve
Old 12-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
For those of you who are experience in having purchased a MH or TT from a private seller who is not local to you.

If this has been posted somewhere else on this forum, please direct me.

OK. The basics are:
1. View an ad and verify all information
2. Talk to the private seller and ask every possible question (or at least try to)
3. View detailed pictures
4. Decide on whether or not to spend the time and money to physically see and test the unit

I've hear it both ways:
1. "Fantastic unit! Just what it was proposed to be."
2. "What a piece of CRAP!!! Worse than a dating service with false pictures..."

What has been your experience? And, most importantly, what did you learn from your experience that you would or would not do if again deciding on an out of town unit?
Your "basics list" is good. I have purchased several MH's out of state and always from the owner. I would never buy from a dealer.

The looking/study process is necessary. You will never know unless you look.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #34

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
Being able to do your own work is a tremendous advantage and it removes great deal of the risk when buying. It is always possible to overlook something, but it certainly levels the playing field.

Steve
I think the ability to DIY is a factor that deserves far more importance in buying from a distance. Too many folks that don't know which end of a screwdriver to hold, let alone direction to turn, have to pay someone else to do all repairs. Unless your pockets are far deeper than this retired teacher it's an important thing to consider. I was pretty confident that the RV I flew 1400 miles to evaluate and buy didn't have any issues I couldn't deal with. Upon inspection, I signed the papers and drove it back home. A few things happened in the early use, broken shade strings, small electrical issues, etc. I restrung the shade and repaired electrical problems. I've also upgraded TVs, added lights to the grab handle, and many other little things to make the rig more comfortable and ours. If I had to go to a shop for those features, I'd be out half the price we paid for the thing in the first place.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I flew from Texas to Wisconsin to drive mine back. I knew the coach "online" as the owner was a member of a BlueBird forum I frequent. I think a lot depends on how "common" the unit you are looking for is..the more common, the less need to fly across country to look for one. When I sold my coach the new owner flew down from Michigan to look it over, left a deposit, then flew back 2 weeks later to drive it home.

One thing you can do (especially if there is a brand specific forum for what you're looking for) is post online asking for other forum members to go look at it for you. Many will do it for free or for a small compensation.

Airline tickets are cheaper than buying a junker
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I looked at several of the same model before I purchased mine from an on line small sales guy in greenville So Carolina. First he sent me about 100 pictures and a description of what he found wrong. His list was very small. He let me drive it for about 100 miles and everything went well. Sachin was what I call "Honest" with mistakes. He is a salesman - so am I but feel good salesmen sell good products and are proud of their sales and customer.

I never owned a MH before and certainly not a DP. I knew very little about what I was looking at except it was clean. Since the asking price was fair, $38K, my plan was to spend my savings over the cost of other MH, on any repair that may come apparent. We drove it home to NJ from SC without a hitch except it was my first experience driving a large vehicle so I had to learn fast.

We ended up replacing a few items like filters at first but then the batteries, Power supply/charger, lift pump, V44 injector pump, PAC actuator, repair the cyclone filter and exhaust down pipe, brakes and upgraded the TV and stereo, I fix a lot of this myself including the Fridge, heater, and water heater, replace the cover on the roof AC (it blew off on the way home). My total cost was greatly reduce by doing most work myself. i allowed about 10K for any repairs and used about 6K of that after two years.

not a bad deal over all. Just as an aside. I bought my house in FL that same way. Over the internet with my sales lady walking the house, taking video and talking to me on the phone. I made the offer that day and saved over $32K, A few investigating inspectors of the house and septic provided all I needed to make my choice final. This past year build a 40 foot garage on the adjoining property again all over the internet and list server where I got answers from other who built garages much like hear on IRV2.

Ask the right questions, read - and read more - use google - it is the best friend you have. I never bought a WIFE over the internet however!!!!
Old 12-24-2015, 02:32 PM   #37

I think there are two ways to go with service to save money outside of using a dealership. The first is obviously to do it yourself. Some folks are really very good at this and equally as important, take pleasure in it.

The second suggestion I have is, if you do not want to do your own work, find an independent service center or mobile technician you can trust and develop a relationship. Despite what seems to be conventional wisdom, there are folks who still take pride in their work, don't "up sell" or throw parts at a problem, and even will talk you through a problem, when you call them. You may be surprised to learn the majority of Master Certified Techs work independently.

Steve
Old 12-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #38

Quote:
Boy, do I hear you. We drove 150 miles to a Camping World dealership after calling and discussing the unit we were interested in only to find the dealership was allowing an employee to live in the unit, right there on the lot and "we just discovered" (is what the salesperson said) someone had run into the side of the slide out.

Even being a tech, buying is a difficult process. Either you buy used, and if you are lucky, you only have to repair a few things, or you buy used and hope. It is all such a shell game, in my opinion. Or, you buy new and that opens a whole other set of factors.

Steve
"...whole other set of factors." And the biggest one is PRICE!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarkid View Post
Bought our 1st (1989 35' Georgie Boy gasser) for $4957 off Ebay. It was 250 miles away. Drove down to pick it up and look it over. Was "close" to the description/pictures but had some engine mechanical issues. Seller said if we didn't want it, he would give us the money (in cash) back. We took it and humped it home (55mph tops) and dug into it. Ended up needing new fuel filter (replaced 3 times) and the correct carburetor gasket. Drove it on a trip from Missouri to New York and back. Only issue was another fuel filter. Son has it now.

Current one (1998 42' Overland Larado DP w/ Slide) was bought thru Craigslist. This one was 370 miles away in Indianapolis, IN. Calls and emails. Pictures. Drove over (we have relatives there) and checked it out. Test drive. Liked it and said we would see about financing. Private seller (salesman by trade) wanted money down to hold. We said we'd take our chances and get back with him. He went to leave and it wouldn't start. (ended up needing an alternator and batteries - he replaced)
Called and went back 3 weeks later to get it. Spent the night in it at an RV park near Indy to check it out. Next day we paid $19, 950 (booked out at +$40,00). Bought a car dolly off of Craigslist for $500 at the SAME RV park we stayed in and towed our car home with us. We now full time in it.

I do my own repairs/maintenance. Things beyond my knowledge/comfort can be handled by Cummins and Freightliner (both in our home-base town). It is an orphaned brand, so warranty/dealer issues do not apply.

To each his own, but we shop for a good deal, where ever it may be.
"1998 42' Overland Larado" Nice looking bus.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #40

Quote:

Steve
Yep! That's a skill I can only dream of. It also takes a bit more guts to take on the unknown.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #41

Price is an interesting factor as I always felt the most expensive mistake anyone can make is to buy something they really don't want simply because they can afford it. We have always tried to buy what we felt like we would enjoy at the time. Several times that has been high-end new in one category or another.

On our "next last" RV, which we just bought, we were willing to pay a great deal more than we spent and we looked at several, but found quality lacking and a load of features for which we have no interest.

Steve
Old 12-24-2015, 09:32 PM   #42

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Have you ever looked closely at a Big Mac ad only to go in an buy one and see how it looks in real life?
Ha Ha .,.... love it... good point.