Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2017, 08:49 AM   #1

Buying a used DP from camping world...inspections?

I've got my eye on a DP for sale at CW (2000 Beaver Contessa) but it's not at my local CW and it's too far away to me to view personally. I'm told they can bring it here if I'm sure I want to buy it, but my question is about getting it inspected. I've gathered from reading here that CW is not to be trusted with service, so I would assume they can't be relied on for a inspection. While the salesman has assured me that if they or I find anything wrong with it that they will fix it with no charge, it doesn't seem I'd want that anyway if you can't trust them with service. So how would I go about getting a inspection done by someone that can be trusted, if the coach is far out of state and being sold by CW? I can't imagine they'd be eager to take it to someone else to get it inspected...or is that something I can ask for? I know enough to not sign anything until it's here and I've done my own inspection, but I'm no expert.

On another note, does anyone know of a trusted shop that I could use near the western Chicago suburbs? Assuming I do buy this I'd like to know who I can take it to to work on the things I do plan on.
robos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You are right not to trust a dealers inspection of their own RV, especially a CW. They should not have a problem with a independant third party inspection.

Have them transfer the coach to the CW near you. With any purchase, and final price, contingent upon both your independant third party inspection AND your inspection and acceptance. Any deposit made to enable the transfer being refundable.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club

You are correct in assuming to not trust a dealer for a used coach. They will tell you anything to sell a coach, actually getting anything done may be another story.
There are independent inspectors around the country. Need to locate one, will not be cheap. Check nrvia.com. I have not used them but might be a start.
Now about a 2000 vintage coach. This is an old coach nice coaches in their day. But there will be things break and need fixed on a regular basis. Also being a 2000 it has lived a long life, it could have been treated poorly or well maintained with yearly maintenance. This is what a good inspector will help with.
Being handy and able to troubleshoot and fix things on your own will go along way with purchasing an older coach. Relying on others can get pricey real fast if everything is on your dime.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

I would say don't buy from Camping World period. We did two years ago and huge mistake. RV was totally misrepresented. We have been fixing ever since.
dgezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgezy View Post
I would say don't buy from Camping World period. We did two years ago and huge mistake. RV was totally misrepresented. We have been fixing ever since.
I concur...........

I wouldn't trust those minimum wage shop Einsteins to be able to bury a doggy do do properly.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #6

My son did not have a good experience buying from Camping World either. There are so many used motorhomes available from that era, that I wouldn't consider one from CW. If, however, you want to pursue that one, tell them you are very interested in looking at it and will buy it if it meets with your approval and passes an inspection from an independent source. If it is what they say it is, they will transfer it to a closer CW. If they won't, then you don't want it anyway.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
A used RV being purchased from Camping World, or anyone else should be thoroughly inspected by someone who knows what to look for and the impact of any faults found. Also be aware that an RV inspector may look at some of the mechanical aspects but they are not diesel mechanics so it really takes two persons to do a thorough inspection.

The following is a link to a posting that describes my experience when purchasing a used RV from a distant dealer. Fortunately doing my due diligence saved me from purchasing an RV with an estimated repair cost of $30K.

Pre-purchase Inspection Reveals $30k in Hidden Defects

The inspection was done at the dealer's location so it is no imposition and any objection is a loud voiv=ce saying "don;t walk away from this deal, run."

If it is inspected and faults found, make sure they are noted on the sales agreement along with a notation that they will be fully repaired at no additional cost by Camping World withing a designated time period.

Good luck.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_H View Post
A used RV being purchased from Camping World, or anyone else should be thoroughly inspected by someone who knows what to look for and the impact of any faults found. Also be aware that an RV inspector may look at some of the mechanical aspects but they are not diesel mechanics so it really takes two persons to do a thorough inspection.

The following is a link to a posting that describes my experience when purchasing a used RV from a distant dealer. Fortunately doing my due diligence saved me from purchasing an RV with an estimated repair cost of $30K.

Pre-purchase Inspection Reveals $30k in Hidden Defects

The inspection was done at the dealer's location so it is no imposition and any objection is a loud voiv=ce saying "don;t walk away from this deal, run."

If it is inspected and faults found, make sure they are noted on the sales agreement along with a notation that they will be fully repaired at no additional cost by Camping World withing a designated time period.

Good luck.
With CW, I would take the good advice a step further and say you will purchase the coach only when all of the defects have been corrected. Once they have your money, they can delay for any number of reasons and the cost to get them to comply might fall on you.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
With CW, I would take the good advice a step further and say you will purchase the coach only when all of the defects have been corrected. Once they have your money, they can delay for any number of reasons and the cost to get them to comply might fall on you.
I'm sure it depends on which CW as some are good, but a lot of them are bad. From personal experience with CW/Tampa, I agree with this. Please tread carefully.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #10

Some good advise. At the moment the salesman seems to not want to call me back anyway, so maybe it just wasn't meant to be.
robos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:18 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Regardless of what an inspection shows, I would not buy from CW. If anything is found during the inspection, you have to have CW fix it. BAD IDEA !!
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:45 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I agree.
Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
You are right not to trust a dealers inspection of their own RV, especially a CW. They should not have a problem with a independant third party inspection.

Have them transfer the coach to the CW near you. With any purchase, and final price, contingent upon both your independant third party inspection AND your inspection and acceptance. Any deposit made to enable the transfer being refundable.
This^^^

Regarding inspections, make sure your inspector understands he is to take a picture of anything he's not happy with. This to document the issue (very often sellers are in denial!), and very often to help get repair cost estimates. Do not accept the word "bad" in an inspection report. Force detail regarding ANYTHING described as "bad".

And last - don't trust pictures. They can be super decieving. Assume that coach is a complete POS until you've put your own eyes and hands on it and proven to your self otherwise.

That coach could be a diamond in the rough!
Best of luck
Old 07-09-2017, 07:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our first MH from camping world we had a couple of issues that had to be addressed. Our initial contract we signed and put down earnest money on had us committing to the purchase of the following issues were resolved to our satisfaction, and they were listed one writing. I would think you could sign a similar contract of intent to purchase said vehicle on the basis that it passes an independent (and your personal inspection) with a full refund of deposit should it fail to do so in order to get the unit brought to your CW. But do get a contract in writing that allows you to be released from the commitment to purchase with refund, do not proceed based on yr salesman's word. When well cared for these units are truly gems!

Tags
camping, camping world