Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Just For Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,088
Buying a USED High-End Class A - Should it take this long?????

Preamble: After MHing in our current coach for some 16 years, I decided to began my search to upgrade our MH about two years ago. When planning on spending $100,000 to $200,000 - for us - this becomes a slower, more detailed, checking everything possible process; especially if something goes wrong.

Status: About nine weeks ago one of my many offers was accepted through a dealer in Florida on one of their consignment class A's. That's the good news!! I think.

The Process: Being a sponge for knowledge and a wimp concerned about not making a financial mistake of this size (after reading many of the horror stories from others on this forum and others), I did my best about requiring this coach being in the best possible condition possible (reasonable?):
1. I told the salesperson to have this coach checked out by their repair facility ASAP. What they did (supposedly) was to "put this coach into service" at their facility and require (??) the coach's owner to pay for all needed repairs.
2. Possible due to my accepted offer and the required repair, the dealer said (supposedly) they decided to buy this coach themselves to guarantee my purchase price - concerned that the seller would back out. OK, that sounds reasonable.
3. Identified repair (supposedly) is the replacement of the starter and muffler. After three weeks, the ordered muffler (supposedly) has still not been delivered.

OK, nine weeks into this process I'm getting the hebe-geebies that there's more going on in the background then I'm being told of. But with me on the west coast and the coach on the east coast... Until my tech get's out there, I just twiddling my thumbs.

WOW!!!!! That was a lot of verbiage to FINALLY get to my question

Simply put: So for those of you who are still reading this...Should it take this much time to purchase a high-end coach?? Is this reasonable????
Is what I'm going through typical, normal, expected or...?
__________________

__________________
2006 Monaco Signature 45' Commander IV ISX 600 dance:
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2015, 12:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,798
It sounds like you are making this purchase sight unseen. Is that correct?

It would seem like the length of time being taken is extreme. I would hound the dealer to see what is going on. Some things sound a bit odd. Just a gut reaction, but some of the fact patterns do not bode well.
__________________

__________________
2011 Berkshire 390bh (traded) 2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
38Chevy454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 742
For the amount of money you are spending, I would suggest a cheap airplane trip there. Then you can lay your own eyes on everything, and confirm the repairs that were or scheduled to be made. A few hundred $ and couple days now could be a wise investment. It is a lot harder for them to BS you in person, vs email or phone.

It may very well be true the muffler is taking longer to receive than expected. Being able to verify yourself is the way to know the real story. As to the exact funds and who has money in their hands vs keys and title, I guess in the end as long as you get the fully repaired MH and keys with clean title it does not really have effect for you.
__________________
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Gaithersburg, Md
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
Preamble: After MHing in our current coach for some 16 years, I decided to began my search to upgrade our MH about two years ago. When planning on spending $100,000 to $200,000 - for us - this becomes a slower, more detailed, checking everything possible process; especially if something goes wrong.

Status: About nine weeks ago one of my many offers was accepted through a dealer in Florida on one of their consignment class A's. That's the good news!! I think.

The Process: Being a sponge for knowledge and a wimp concerned about not making a financial mistake of this size (after reading many of the horror stories from others on this forum and others), I did my best about requiring this coach being in the best possible condition possible (reasonable?):
1. I told the salesperson to have this coach checked out by their repair facility ASAP. What they did (supposedly) was to "put this coach into service" at their facility and require (??) the coach's owner to pay for all needed repairs.
2. Possible due to my accepted offer and the required repair, the dealer said (supposedly) they decided to buy this coach themselves to guarantee my purchase price - concerned that the seller would back out. OK, that sounds reasonable.
3. Identified repair (supposedly) is the replacement of the starter and muffler. After three weeks, the ordered muffler (supposedly) has still not been delivered.

OK, nine weeks into this process I'm getting the hebe-geebies that there's more going on in the background then I'm being told of. But with me on the west coast and the coach on the east coast... Until my tech get's out there, I just twiddling my thumbs.

WOW!!!!! That was a lot of verbiage to FINALLY get to my question

Simply put: So for those of you who are still reading this...Should it take this much time to purchase a high-end coach?? Is this reasonable????
Is what I'm going through typical, normal, expected or...?
I just replaced the very large muffler on my diesel pusher and I received the new muffler in less than a week, found it on Amazon, and it was also a very good deal. Donaldson muffler, exact replacement. Sounds fishy!

Ray
__________________
Ray Herron
CntryCoachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 1,391
I have to agree with the above, I can not imagine buying something like this without personally seeing it and dealing with the people in person. A voice on the phone has little impact vs a human standing in front of the sales or service person and wanting information.
__________________
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep JK Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
 
smlranger's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Glen Allen, VA
Posts: 7,257
Blog Entries: 1
Would you buy a house without seeing it and inspecting it? A motorhome is a house on wheels, even more complex. Plus, trust no dealer or salesman. You must verify everything yourself.

Consider hiring someone qualified to inspect the coach for you before you write any checks.
__________________
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:02 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Davdeb1's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Avon Lake, Oh
Posts: 2,884
9 weeks? Just cancel, that is unreasonable. Something stinks. There are literally thousands of units in that price range. If it was $20-30k, it might be worth taking the chance on sight unseen, but NEVER for the money you are talking.
__________________
2000 HOLIDAY RAMBLER ENDEAVOR
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Just For Fun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Would you buy a house without seeing it and inspecting it? A motorhome is a house on wheels, even more complex. Plus, trust no dealer or salesman. You must verify everything yourself.

Consider hiring someone qualified to inspect the coach for you before you write any checks.
NOT sight unseen. I have a tech schedule to review it on-side before we travel out there for my personal inspection.
__________________
2006 Monaco Signature 45' Commander IV ISX 600 dance:
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
oakcreekeric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 937
Ok.. my two cents..

First of all.. do you mind sharing with us the; year, make and model ??

I have to agree with 38Chevy454... getting a cheap plane ticket would be a very small investment to make to insure a square deal..

Also... if I may suggest.. if you decide to go that route.. I would do it on the "down low".. I wouldn't tell the dealer you were coming.. I'd just show up and start looking for your rig.. kick some tires.. see if they'll let you look at it.. it couldn't hurt.. besides, showing up unannounced would prevent them from having their "stories straight", so to speak..

Whatever you do.. best of luck !!
__________________
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
JFXG's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today? Mercer, PA
Posts: 3,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
NOT sight unseen. I have a tech schedule to review it on-side before we travel out there for my personal inspection.

Well, you haven't seen it, have you? You're 9 weeks in and your tech hasn't seen it either. How did you find this tech? Referred by the dealer?

On a purchase of this size, you ought to be prepared to invest a couple of percentage points into due diligence. Get on a plane. Arrive unannounced- don't call your tech, either- and look for yourself. And be prepared to walk away from it.


John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
__________________
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,382
Hire an independent inspector, that's what I didn't do!!
I was told the rig would be gone through by their tech who was an ex CC employee, which he did (sort of). After signing the papers I was talking to him and he admitted all he did was go through and flip stuff on, if it started up it was good (wouldn't have caught a bad heat pump for instance) although he did change all the filters except the air and do the yearly service on the AquaHot.
Now I'm finding two dual pane windows that are not sealed and are fogging, the 10 disk changer refuses to work although I did find a disconnected wire last night but it doesn't connect to the changer unit but still might have something to do with it. The run through was a couple hours but really should have been longer as I'm not one to run to the dealer to get a fuse changed and there are dozens of control boxes in the Magna.
Anyway, the dealer did what they said they would, just that I trused but didn't verify!
I'd still buy from the dealer though, just be more careful.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Gaithersburg, Md
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just For Fun View Post
NOT sight unseen. I have a tech schedule to review it on-side before we travel out there for my personal inspection.
Are you dealing with a well known reputable dealer, if so then it is less of a risk? However, when I purchased my current mh back in 2000 from a dealer who advertised being the largest dealer in the world, everything went fine. But, it didn't go so well for another gent who I met there, he had bought a used mh and he was waiting for the paperwork to go through and there had been a long delay with lots of back and forth and lots of excuses from his salesman and sales manager, bottom line the dealer couldn't come up with a title and they were trying to convince him to go for a different rig. He got so disgusted that he demanded full refund and he walked away. Not sure what had happened but it appears the dealer had taken a unit in on trade but the person doing the trading didn't have clear title. Things do go wrong and sometimes it is best to just walk away when something just doesn't sound right.

Ray
__________________
CntryCoachRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by CntryCoachRV View Post
Are you dealing with a well known reputable dealer, if so then it is less of a risk?
Part of the risk is that he's perhaps buying a used coach from a dealer who is going to sell it with an "as-is" contract. As many of us know, lots of systems on a high end class-A and hard to get them all tested without having owned it.

When I was shopping, one question that I asked was what happens when I drive off the lot and find a broken item? Have them put the answer in writing... As they dealer is far-away, cover that contingency first...

For 100-200k, an IN PERSON trip is required.
__________________
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Smitty77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Over the next hill, around the next curve...
Posts: 3,302
Sounds like you are still working thru this carefully. Having the independent inspection, as long as you are are it is 'independent', is the way to go. Based upon this report, and a good inspection should cost some funds and is a good investment, then decide if you will fly out for a final review, acceptance, and purchase.

IMO, the part that sounds the most fishy to me - is that they say they bought the coach in order to 'protect the price'. Maybe the bought the coach to ensure their profit, more then to protect the price. And now, any expense going into the coach for repair, is coming out of their profits. That does not sound right.

I assume you have put earnest money deposit? Is this written in away that if you back out, you can get his deposit back? Was it by check, or credit card? If credit card, you can always dispute and obtain the help of the credit card company to recover. (Of course, only if needed, and only if warranted.)

My fingers are crossed that the 'independent' inspection reveals a coach as it was represented. If so, I would not get too hung up on the Dealer possibly getting a higher profit - as you agreed to a price. Dealer was probably working both ends. Squeeze the seller down, and bumping you the buyer up.

Keep your eyes open, and sure hope it all works out for you! If not, yep, keep on hunting!

Smitty
__________________

__________________
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
class a



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wind impact on long Class C wannabervin Class C Motorhome Discussions 17 01-09-2015 08:38 PM
Wind impact on long class C wannabervin MH-General Discussions & Problems 12 12-19-2014 10:32 PM
Vmspc jaminman Cummins Engines 12 12-10-2014 06:04 PM
Selling Class A / Buying Class C ? SuperDad Class C Motorhome Discussions 3 09-18-2014 06:12 PM
Southern CA. Looking for high class place to winter Alice Jackso Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 26 09-17-2014 11:49 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.