Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buying a used RV

Caution when buying a used RV at Mike Thompson in Sana Fe Springs, Ca. got all the reassurance that it went thru a complete 250 point inspection and got lots of fluff from the sales staff and trusted them at there word, guess what two weeks later got stranded with a dead battery and come to find had two blown shocks, $800 dollars later and went back to ask about there inspection and ask to pay half and they said now you dont have to worry about those problems any more. My first RV purchase and boy did I learn the hard way. Dont trust any salesmen, they are all liars!
CalPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #2

Many have had similar experiences. You arent the first, or the last. RV salemen come and go, are usually on commission for at least part of their income, why would you trust one in the first place? Biggest problem I had, was not figuring out who wasnt telling the truth, but which ones honestly believed what they said, but really didnt know.
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #3

You were lucky. I bought from an individual and my nightmare is still going on. First it had an overheating problem, then a fuel line problem, next was the front windshield. I still have the one A/C that doesn't work, and the dash a/c has to be converted. It has a real delamination problem that I am gutting out the interior to correct. But, even with all these problems and probably more, I get excited when I get even the small ones corrected. In reading the posts here and talking to others about their rigs, it appears that owning on of the older rigs is a labor of love no matter how much you spend or how big the problems are. My old Travelcraft has a red light strip running from the driver's seat to the kitchen and when it is lite up, I feel like I need a disco ball and the Bee Gees as background music.

Mike
mike1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike, the older rigs are a labor of love but it is paid for. So I can afford to spend a few $$$ on her. In the 2 years we have had the Silver Streak we have replaced:
A/C
4 tires
bathroom sink and facuet
Power converter
Propane transfer valve and hoses
TV
Microwave
2 Fanstick fans
refrigerator
assortment of interior lights
door hinges
and now new flooring in the bath and new carpet elsewhere.
New curtains

It is beginning to feel like a new RV to me now.

Hey, we have an 8 track player in the trailer....no 8 track tapes. We need to get together with your disco ball.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ken - there is a company in Arlington that specializes in 8 track tapes that was on the news last week - maybe you should look them up next Saturday since you will be in our neck or the woods!

See you and Susan Friday
Texas Boomers, FMCA #366366 SKP #91936
'03 Holiday Rambler Scepter 40PWD
RandD is offline   Reply With Quote