Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #1

Buying an older RV - Mileage Concerns

My father has been living on a boat the past 8 years and has decided he would like to travel on land for a while. He has asked me to help him look for an older RV. I have found two Bounders that aesthetically appear to be in very nice condition, have really good price points, however the mileage on both is very high.

The first is a 2002 Bounder 34D with 86k miles for $29,995.
2002 Fleetwood Bounder 34D with superslide...Chevy Workhorse

The second is a 2000 Bounder 36S with 94k miles for $24,995.
2000 Fleetwood Bounder Ford V10 - * * * * * * *MOTORHOMES 503

I have not made any effort to go look at either in person yet. I was hoping you all could let me know if they think this high of miles should be a red flag to move on and look for something else. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2014, 10:21 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
A lot depends upon maintenance history. If sellers can't produce elaborate service records I would have to assume little or no service was performed. At that age/mileage both have probably been thru several owners. Both are showing about 8k miles/year, not excessive, but I think the total miles puts both engines/trans nearing the end of their useful life. If he were just going to park it for a hunting cabin the mileage wouldn't be an issue, but you said traveling. Don't know Dad's budget, but you should be able to find many gas coaches in that age/price range with under 50k miles, and with good service history. And for this vintage gas coach I would allow at least $5k immediately for new tires, brake job, and fluids/filters before traveling. If any interior water damage, or pet/smoker smells I would run the other way!

Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes PPL in Houston is a consignment dealer, seems to have fair pricing. I've never shopped there, but I hear positive reviews and believe their website can give you a good idea of the market. I've been told frequently that banks are reluctant to loan on anything over 10 years, so with cash you should be in a buyer's market. My two cents. Happy hunting.

TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would go with the Workhorse 8.1, Allison combination.
Looks clean need to check tires and roof for good seams maintained no cracks, check PPL for pricing or the NADA link for high and low pricing.
The rear over hang has to be watched for on tight turns.
There was a brake recall for W-22 chassis so you should have all new brake calipers if recall was done.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
A lot depends upon maintenance history. If sellers can't produce elaborate service records I would have to assume little or no service was performed. At that age/mileage both have probably been thru several owners. Both are showing about 8k miles/year, not excessive, but I think the total miles puts both engines/trans nearing the end of their useful life. If he were just going to park it for a hunting cabin the mileage wouldn't be an issue, but you said traveling.
I had similar thoughts and was concerned service records could be lacking if nonexistent. I figured in the case of a more vintage coach I would want to hire someone to inspect it.

As far as travel - I don't expect my father to be putting on 1000s of miles per year. (LOL, that is my step-dad & mom in MY RV!) He mostly would be camped near me spring and summer and then escaping the rainy PNW in Fall and winter.

Quote:
Don't know Dad's budget, but you should be able to find many gas coaches in that age/price range with under 50k miles, and with good service history. And for this vintage gas coach I would allow at least $5k immediately for new tires, brake job, and fluids/filters before traveling. If any interior water damage, or pet/smoker smells I would run the other way!
Well Dad's budget is really my budget. I will be making up the difference from whatever he sells the boat for. I would like to see us stay under $30k so I can then spend what is needed to get new tires (a must IMHO) and any other required maintenance. And I agree - if it stinks or is stained by water we are running. Dad has been on a boat for 8 years and wants to avoid leaky things at all costs!

Quote:
Used RVs, Motorhomes for Sale, and Consigned sales - PPL Motor Homes PPL in Houston is a consignment dealer, seems to have fair pricing. I've never shopped there, but I hear positive reviews and believe their website can give you a good idea of the market. I've been told frequently that banks are reluctant to loan on anything over 10 years, so with cash you should be in a buyer's market. My two cents. Happy hunting.
Thanks! I will definitely check them out. I was really hoping to buy local but am not opposed to saving money by traveling either! We would be paying cash for whatever we get. I already have my own RV loan, I would rather have dad's be free and clear so he has no worries on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
I would go with the Workhorse 8.1, Allison combination.
Looks clean need to check tires and roof for good seams maintained no cracks, check PPL for pricing or the NADA link for high and low pricing.
The rear over hang has to be watched for on tight turns.
There was a brake recall for W-22 chassis so you should have all new brake calipers if recall was done.
Thanks for letting me know on the brake recall! That would be on 2002 Bounder 34D. If we decided to take a look at it I will ask that question.

I did a look-up early on NADA and I believe both fell right on target for their low retail.

So far I have only been focusing on a few known manufacturers/models I am familiar with. If anyone has suggestions on brands I should be looking at please let me know. The only "requirement" we had was I would like to find him something with a slide so he has a bit more living space.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:41 AM   #5

We paid $28k for a 2004 Georgetown 35' (Workhorse) with 60,000 miles a year ago. We were able to get a Car Fax report on it to show the maintenance record and to verify that it was one owner. If everything checks out, you may be able to negotiate the price down a bit more.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #6

Example of used;

1993 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Diesel Pusher for 25K. It has the Cummins 8.3l 250HP Turbo Diesel about 200K on the odometer and gets about 10MPG towing my 05 Jeep Grand Chreokee. No slides. Been a rocksolid coach. LOVE the Cummins engines.
I have a CAT now so I do have to adjust to a new engine. So far,so good.