Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
The one key thing in life to remember (and one I live by) is:

"You never get anything unless you ask for it".

The worst that can happen is you get a "No". People won't give you what they don't have. Some things you can't negotiate with, like the grocery store unless the package is damaged ie: dented can.

I negotiate contracts at work and my phylosphy works.

In my life I have saved untold thousands!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:11 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Educate yourself. Don't let them make you either angry or embarrassed, some sales people will try to intimidate. It is your money, be prepared to walk. There are other motorhomes available. Camping World is no different than any other dealer.

Make a list of things you want added, changed, or repaired by the service department, and get it signed or initialed before you pay.

I bought from Camping World a few years ago and was required to "PRESS" the issue on one of the items that was a problem with my MH. But in the end they came through and fixed the problem. I would buy from them again if the deal was right.

On a side note: Be leary of the "Free Campground Visits" that set up booths in some of the Camping Worlds around Tennessee. Don't go if you can't say no!

JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #17

Hard to disagree with the good advice & experience of all these posts. The only thing I'd add is don't beat yourself or the seller up over getting the absolute very best "steal" of a deal. Everyone likes to brag that they are the world's greatest negotiator & that their deal was absolutely "the best".......well some people also brag about always winning when they go to Vegas. At some point your time & energy visiting hundreds of dealers, private sellers, etc all over the country is worth $$$$.

I am always amazed that some people will spend months & months to save a few thousand dollars....you could own the RV and be kicking back or you can still be trying to be the world's most astute buyer. Remember you are looking to pay the "fair" not necessarily the "steal-it" price! If you are looking to steal something....have fun because you'll be at it a long time.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #18

There's alot of good advice here....most dealers don't take the "give me your best price and you only have one shot" gimmick seriously, because 99% of the people who ask that NEVER buy. We've also never sold anyone who waltzes in the front door, sees a salesman and trumpets "Who wants to sell an RV today ?" Also, be willing to talk to a salesman... don't just run through the front door as you're greeted and say "We're just looking"...they are there to HELP YOU find things. If you find a coach and wish to make an offer, MAKE A LEGITIMATE OFFER, not a half price offer... you'll be horse-laughed out of the building. So do your homework. When you see a price on a coach, particularly a used coach... that reflects the cost of the dealer making the necessary repairs to it to make it saleable.... like the a/c or refrigerator that "just stopped cooling on the way in to pick up our new coach".... or the 10 year old batteries that are baked dry from lack of maintenance...and it also covers the cost of maintaining it while its on the lot... the washing, the cleaning from people not wiping their feet before entering, spilling soft drinks on carpet and upholstery, using the toilets, and replacing stolen light bulbs, cabinet and drawer handles, water filters, etc. The dealers aren't joking when they post a price. It's definitely a buyers market, but, like any purchase, be well informed. Hope this might help a bit..
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:17 AM   #19

My feeling is that RV prices are by far the most inflated asking prices I've ever seen.

Start 20% under low NADA with no options. Then just hammer at them and no matter what they claim, remind them "have you noticed the economy sucks?" There are so many coaches for sale that if you just wait another week, you'll find a better deal

And keep in mind this business is full of coaches that just sit. I can't tell you how many coaches I still see for sale two years later.

You know what that tells me? That dealer either has it on consignment and the owner can't get out from some huge sum they owe (not your problem, you aren't their charity), or they are unwilling to deal (again, you aren't that dealer's charity).

In my opinion, when it comes to RVs, show them you can close the deal, and if they want to live in dreamworld, let them. The number of dealers that have closed shop in the past few years while insisting on above-market prices shows they ain't the brightest bulbs by any stretch.

Steve
Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #20

Do your research, know what it is worth, know what you are willing to pay, know your walk price. You can ask them for their best price, but they are pros, they know not to give it to you. Make an offer, explain your offer and see what comes back. If they don't hit your walk price or better, walk. They will call you later if they decide to do the deal. .
Spend lots of time running everything in the coach and coming up with a fix before I pay list! If you do that first, they will know you are serious. CW will ask for a refundable deposit, it's ok to give it to them, I canceled a deal once and they refunded it to me.

My dealings with CW have been fair, just remember they have a large staff and capabilities will fit the bell curve so don't fret if you come across a bad one, they are a good outfit in general, my 2 cents....
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought my Providence from CW in Las Vegas. Salesman was fine, good to deal with. The finance manager was something else. We paid cash and were promised they would overnight Title and paperwork. Yeh right. Ten days later it finally arrived after I called the store manager and ripped him a new one.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I'd add that you should expand your search to cover the entire USA. If you can buy a $300 one-way plane ticket to Oregon to save $5000 on the coach you want, you're way ahead of the game, and you get a nice long maiden voyage for the trip home.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
My dw and I shopped two camping worlds for a used dp. At first the sales guys were warm and cordial bringing the mh from one location to our spot. Traveled 350 miles to see the coach. Did our research, used every tactic mentioned above. Made a fair offer in fact what they were asking, asked for EW tow bar, and a fogged window replaced. Seems fair? Left was told it the offer would have to go to corporate. The sales manager just shrugged at the offer and faxed it in to someone. Returned home three days later we were contacted and quote "they, cw, we're all in ". They agreed to replace the windshield wiper motor, which we never knew did not work. Needless to say we did not buy from cw and would not recommend a major purchase through their organization. If you have spent some time on this site you will see ours was not the only isolated incidence. Move on.
Old 07-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I'd add that you should expand your search to cover the entire USA. If you can buy a $300 one-way plane ticket to Oregon to save $5000 on the coach you want, you're way ahead of the game, and you get a nice long maiden voyage for the trip home.

Just remember to factor in the expense of the return trip ~ fuel, food, missed work. But definately a great way to test it out!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1234 View Post
I am always amazed that some people will spend months & months to save a few thousand dollars....you could own the RV and be kicking back or you can still be trying to be the world's most astute buyer. Remember you are looking to pay the "fair" not necessarily the "steal-it" price! If you are looking to steal something....have fun because you'll be at it a long time.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #26

Some people have more money than time... awesome for them, but it doesn't work that way for all. And if you live like that too much, chances are you won't be that way for long. If you don't have a deadline to meet, why not shop around. When you find one that fits your needs (floorplan wise & pocket book wise), the decision to act should be simple.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I think I paid too much money on the last 3 motorhomes we bought. There, I said it and it doesn't change anything - I still paid it. The only good thing is I paid cash and am not paying a ridiculous interest rate on the extra cost every month.
We have looked at a couple of nice units we would like to have had, and even considered making an offer. But I know we would not get beans for the coach we have now and would pay for something we don't really NEED just to replace it with something we like better. The only reason I could see now is the color needs to be lighter! A black coach in this heat wave is just useless to stay in and try to be comfortable.
We bought our first RV last November and I'm sure we paid too much. I had done a little reading and went in with a 25% off sticker price offer on a brand new Fleetwood. They came close but then it became a battle of wills over $1500. As the family "negotiator", I wasn't up to arguing for the sake of winning...so we signed the purchase agreement, feeling like we got an OK deal. I'm sure I could have hung in there till closing time or walked out...but we were ready to roll. No regrets.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
CW gave us great deal and we got a good price for our trade. Better than ANY other deal offered. The follow up service has been great too. Need to make decision based on your situation !! But I had looked for this model at two different dealers and was disappointed in price for theirs and the trade in value for mine. So just research Knowledge is the key to success !

Tags
camping