Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
The one key thing in life to remember (and one I live by) is:

"You never get anything unless you ask for it".

The worst that can happen is you get a "No". People won't give you what they don't have. Some things you can't negotiate with, like the grocery store unless the package is damaged ie: dented can.

I negotiate contracts at work and my philosophy works.

In my life I have saved untold thousands!
Absolutely right, dogpatch. In my previous life, I was a director of contracting for the USAF - and over the course of service saved the taxpayer untold millions by simply asking that question. Contrary to other advice suggesting you should NOT ask "what's your best price" - do it! But - do your research ahead of time and determine what you believe to be a fair price so you'll know if how they respond is appropriate.

If a dealer doesn't want to take the time to provide a number, then the company isn't interested in me as a customer. Dealers are hungry right now - if that's the level of concern offered during negotiations, then imagine what they will offer once you've purchased an RV.

We purchased our coach from LaMesa in Albuquerque - they were professional, considerate, and provided a "best price" offer when we asked. We settled $500 below that at what we still believe was an excellent price. Talk to George if you're interested. A gentleman and seasoned RVer. Service after the purchase has been excellent.

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude 66 View Post
When you make your offer, always wait for the salesman to speak next. Many times, silence will win.
An excellent negotiating technique. Just sit there and wait for the sales rep to respond. Silence can be very powerful in negotiations.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buying from camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazworth View Post
Good morning! In our search for a used class A, we found one at a Camping World that we think fits everything we are looking for. Our question is, are most Camping Worlds easy to deal with? They are asking ($60k) about $5000 above NADA average retail. I think I would be more inclined to offer $10,000 less than what they are asking. Having never really dickered over a price like this, I am unsure how to proceed. If anyone can offer any expertise, we would be most grateful!
My experience was positive ..check for fogged windows and age of tires..about 5000 for both on my 06 tradition I bought.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #32

One thing that does bother me about CW. I saw a used motorhome at one CW that had a "just reduced" price on it. A week later it was gone. I hought that it had been sold, and that the price had been reasonable. The same coach turned up at another CW a week later with the price increased $10k (original asking price at the other CW). Is this SOP for CW? Do they rotate their units that don't sell quickly to other dealerships? I thought that each CW was locally owned and that CW was a franchise.
chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
One consideration I would offer - CW "products" are, to me, over priced. As to their RVs, that is a personal decision by those intending to buy. I'd check several sources before jumping in.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #34

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsheldon View Post
One additional significant cost is sales tax. A dealer will charge you sales tax and on a 60k motorhome thats a bunch. I don't know where you live, but in Ga. if you buy from a private party and live in Ga. you don't have to pay sale tax. Good luck
Here in WA you have to pay the sales/use tax when you register the vehicle in your name. But you only pay on the difference in your trade and the newer (to you) vehicle. You can't do that if you sell your own vehicle and buy another. Then you pay the full sales/use tax on the total price, and they may not accept a sales contract,they have their own evaluation service that they use. they got tired of the low ball contracts or receipts that were written only to avoid the tax.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
I purchased a used class A from Blaine Jensen RV in kaysville, Utah. The sale manager was OK and stood up to his word but the finance manager was a crook. He tried to change the terms on the contract and after being caught said oops sorry yea right!! The coach was a consignment I found out later but got a great deal. We are very happy with our coach but would not purchase from the same dealer. Just remember if you are buying a used coach it is used and will have to deal with repairs.
Good luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #36

My 2 cents worth is first off try to find out the original list price of the unit you are interested in. Base your offer off of what the original list was. It would appear that 5-6 year old gas rigs should be about half of the orininal list, or there abouts plus or minus based on miles, options and condition etc. My only experience shopping at CW to upgrade my 2000 gas RV to something newer, 2007 or newer was that they had a nice Damon 2007 with 10,000 miles. Looked like new everwhere except for rust in one of the basement compartments and.....a bashed in roadside rear bumper area right on the corner. Ooops, didn't have another set of eyes on the ground while backing. They were asking $74,900 for this unit which new was around $105,000. I called the salesman and asked about it and he told me that $74,900 WAS the price. End of shopping at Camping World!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #37

A lot of good advice here. I would say it's up to the salesperson you get as to how it will go. I sold cars once and a local farmer came in looked at a pickup truck on the showroom floor and said I'll take it. When we started the paperwork I asked him how he would pay for it. He said cash.

I told him no one ever pays the sticker price so what would his offer be. He really didn't know what to say so I discounted it to where my boss would be ok with the deal and he would get a good deal for his hard earned money.

No one pays or should pay the sticker price. It's inflated at least 20% of what they will take for it. The best thing to do is take 20% - 25% off and say "I'm ready to buy today if you can meet my price of XXX. If they balk then get up and say thanks for your time. You won't get out the door before they are willing to "talk". Going to the manager is mostly a ploy to come back and make him the bad guy so if the salesperson says I have to take this to my manager just say no, bring him here to discuss this with me. The manager can make an instant decision where the salesperson can't.

If you have a trade in make sure you know what it is worth before you trade. As others have said about the one you are buying also look at the one you have and see what it is selling for. Then take 20% off that price for a fair trade in deal.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #38

If I am understanding everyone correctly. On a 7 year old coach that is advertised at $60,000, I should start with an offer of $45,000 with new tires and any and all repairs of anything found during inspection to be completed before purchase. How about if I ask for a 2 year exclusionary service plan also.
Or should I make an offer like this. New tires, everything fixed that is found during the inspection, selling price reduced so that the total on the contract including sales tax, tag, and all other sundries remains under $50,000. The local sales tax is 7%.
Are these offers on the too unreasonable side, or still not aggressive enough?
Also, on the internet, I found many of this same make and model advertised for $57k to $60k. I did find two that were asking $49,999 (on sale).
chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #39

You are on the right track. First figure out what you feel is a fair price to pay, out the door. Then make your offer. In our particular case we had an older unit for trade (98 32' Brave with no slides), and were a bit upside down on the remaining loan. The unit we decided to purchase was very well kept by the previous owner, so aside from replacing the patio awning fabric, there was little to complain about. Our first offer was approximately 40% under his asking price and included taking ours in trade. The dealer countered and we said no and started for the door, befere we got out he came back at about a 38% discount from asking price. Also threw in a 5 year service policy (exclusionary) with the deal. After accepting delivery and taking it out for a shakedown weekend there were several minor issues discovered. The dealer took care of all of the issues for us. If we had not been upside down on our prior loan (most people are now) we probably could have gotten a slightly better price. We certainly didn't get the "bargain of the year", but we felt we got a very fair deal.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #40

I wouldn't buy a roll of toilet tissue from my local Camping World. Most dishonest folks I have ever dealt with on any purchase. And I certainly wouldn't take my coach there again for service or repairs of any type.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyl
I wouldn't buy a roll of toilet tissue from my local Camping World. Most dishonest folks I have ever dealt with on any purchase. And I certainly wouldn't take my coach there again for service or repairs of any type.
Hey.......I bought a roll of TP from Campers World & I know I paid too much at $3.99! I tried to negotiate by low balling them at $2.99, but there were having no part of it..."take it or leave it". I didn't have time to drive all over town to get a better deal, so I caved.

Here's my point, while I have no experience trying to negotiate with Campers World.....I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it's not a fair fight....you are picking on the biggest kid in the class. If these guys don't sell an RV this month....no big deal...they won't go outta business, hell, I'll probably need some more TP! These guys are BIG....they advertise themselves as "The WORLD'S LARGEST Supplier of RV Parts & Services". These guys are fully diversified across the Industry....parts, service, used units, new units, Class A,B,C's, TT's, 5er's, direct sales in over 70 retail outlets, mail order, on-line.......hey they sponsor NASCAR events. They have seen every sales negotiation gimmick in the the book (probably wrote the book) and you are not going to intimidate or bully them....no kidding.

So you can start with any offer you like......but if you LOVE this unit, you will end where they want it (not you). So what, if you love the unit and it starts at only 60K....gets some concessions and write the cheque. On the other hand, if somewhere around 60K is pushing your budget for this type of unit, know you drop dead limit and if they don't meet it .....walk out the door and go find someone in your weight category (pick a fight with someone you can beat...... like a desperate "up side down" private seller).

Good luck....have fun....learn from the experience.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Absolutely right, dogpatch. In my previous life, I was a director of contracting for the USAF - and over the course of service saved the taxpayer untold millions by simply asking that question. Contrary to other advice suggesting you should NOT ask "what's your best price" - do it! But - do your research ahead of time and determine what you believe to be a fair price so you'll know if how they respond is appropriate.
I gave that advice because asking a seller "Whats the lowest price??" is kind of lazy & insulting. To me a legitimate buyer knows what they want to pay.
In my business if someone asks me that... Ill politely fire them as a customer.
I get all kinds of "hard" negotiators... my price is my price. My competition is priced lower for a reason and I know what the free market will bear.

As a buyer I always present what Im willing to pay on the initial contact. Sometimes that price is lower than asking and sometimes higher.
The overpricing of vehicles/assets is nothing new. Its easier to come down than go up.

Tags
camping