Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #43

Google make & model and you'll find a private seller for a lot less. Even if you have to travel to another state, you'll probabley still get a better deal.
Here in AZ, private sales are not charged state tax, dealers have to charge state tax, just about 10%.
If you must have that paticulare MH on that lot, look at the MHs that have been reduce in price, that will give you an idea of what they'll reduce there list price by to keep you from walking out. If they play tuff with an arrogant attitude, walk out - they'll give you a call the next day, with a new offer.
Get your financing squared away with a lender of your choice before you start to wheel & deal. Talk price, not payment.

Good luck!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Very good advice RVluvin! My whole reason for going through a dealer, is that I must trade my 5er in the deal (Can't afford two payments). I do have an absolute max figure and I'll know when to walk. Going Saturday to do a serious look and feel and if the DW is happy with it, we will start negotiating. I am in no hurry, and I know that there are many more in the same price range for sale in the southeast.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazworth View Post
Very good advice RVluvin! My whole reason for going through a dealer, is that I must trade my 5er in the deal (Can't afford two payments). I do have an absolute max figure and I'll know when to walk. Going Saturday to do a serious look and feel and if the DW is happy with it, we will start negotiating. I am in no hurry, and I know that there are many more in the same price range for sale in the southeast.
Hope it works out for you. CW is probably as good a place as any to buy your new rig.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Heading your way on a week. Perry ga for a week. Staying at twin oaks RV fir a week
Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #47

Very bad experience with warranty service at Las Vegas Camping World RV dealership. (Formerly Wheelers RV) Other Camping World dealerships may be OK. Won't say anything more because I cannot say anything good about the Las Vegas dealership.
Jim4Mina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #48

Spring of 2008 we were looking at Camping World for a new coach. We were asked what we had to trade, and how much were wanting to spend. My reply was our coach in trade and $50,000 to $100,000 depending on the coach we purchase. We were shown four. Didn't like any of them, but went back to see the first. Next to it was a 2006 coach. Asked to look, and why it hadn't been shown to us? The answer was that it was a little above our range. We liked the coach, and asked what would be the price? CW made their offer. My wife said we are going to look at a couple of other dealers. CW came down $5,000. She said that 2 more times, and CW came down down $5,000 each time. Finally, we said we were going to lunch and would give them an answer when we returned. When we returned on the salesman's desk was a paper that said Spring Special $5,200 off, bottom line. That was $20,200 below what CW first was asking.

We bought the coach. They had offered $7,000 above NADA high retail for our trade in, and the final price was price on the newer coach was $20,000 below average wholesale. Why so good, I think the coach was a repo. Didn't make any difference to us. The microwave had not been used, and the ice maker still had the red tag on it.

When we closed, CW asked if we could pay the sales tax separate. We could and did. Thinking back for a reason, I think by us paying the sales tax, CW would not have to put our trade in on their floor plan. Two weeks later I saw on their web site CW was asking for our trade in $40,000 more than CW gave us. Five months later they dropped the price to NADA ave retail, it sold two weeks later for $6,000 less than our trade in amount.

Bottom line be prepared to walk out and don't look back. There will be another that will be available.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainsktg
After the initial greetings and pleasantries and then emphasizing out a few flaws in the product I always ask: "What is your best price for this?" It usually results in a lowered price.

Keith
Jumping ahead before reading all of this, i caution against the tactic above.

MY best price is the one i asked. The ball is in your court, give me YOUR best offer, and lets see where we end up.

The last time i sold a car, i got soo po'd at people doing this that by the fifth or sixth, i'd just start screaming at them, and hang up....
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand

Just remember to factor in the expense of the return trip ~ fuel, food, missed work. But definately a great way to test it out!
Haha , the return trip would be "campin!"
Ain't no costs there, just benefits
Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazworth
One thing that does bother me about CW. I saw a used motorhome at one CW that had a "just reduced" price on it. A week later it was gone. I hought that it had been sold, and that the price had been reasonable. The same coach turned up at another CW a week later with the price increased $10k (original asking price at the other CW). Is this SOP for CW? Do they rotate their units that don't sell quickly to other dealerships? I thought that each CW was locally owned and that CW was a franchise.
Yes, around here, north central midwest, they do rotate stock.
And each location does what they want, price wise
Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazworth
If I am understanding everyone correctly. On a 7 year old coach that is advertised at $60,000, I should start with an offer of $45,000 with new tires and any and all repairs of anything found during inspection to be completed before purchase. How about if I ask for a 2 year exclusionary service plan also.
Or should I make an offer like this. New tires, everything fixed that is found during the inspection, selling price reduced so that the total on the contract including sales tax, tag, and all other sundries remains under $50,000. The local sales tax is 7%.
Are these offers on the too unreasonable side, or still not aggressive enough?
Also, on the internet, I found many of this same make and model advertised for $57k to $60k. I did find two that were asking $49,999 (on sale).
U are on the right track, but...

The dealers price on the coach could reflect nada retail, or it could reflect what they have in it. If the latter, they will have a lot less flexibility, but it will be a better deal...

Asking price is often "what does everyone else want for this?"
Selling price can be "what this cost me plus how many percent?"
Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
We bought our first rig, a 10 year old pace arrow, from a camping world 4 hours from home, they pretty much locked me in a room after the place closed (the owner, manager, finance guy, and salesman)stayed long after closing to try to make this deal. My offer was 25% under thier price, and eventually we came to me terms.

It was perfectly clear that "this is a 10 year old coach, everything is guaranteed to word at the pdi, any warrantee expires when the bumper clears our curb"

I think i got a good deal. I love camping world, and would buy there again....
But heck, i bought my second rv from lazydays!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #54

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr JP View Post
.... the finance manager was a crook. He tried to change the terms on the contract and after being caught said oops sorry yea right!! ...
Yep, I've had that heppen to me a couple times..

Gotta read every line and keep notes during the nego..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #55
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
I don't/won't do Camping World when purchasing a MH or having maintenance done.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #56

The most basic tool in your bag is knowing what the price should be and negotiate down from there. A lowball initial offer wont hurt to start. If you dont know the average price you will lose. Negotiate fairly but be firm on your ask.

If you do and dont get what you want, leave. Make sure they have your phone number because once they are convinced you were firm, the call will come.

These guys deal with people every day who are not serious so they need to know if you get your price, you will buy.

Do not be suckered in time lines and the offer is good for 10 hours or until you leave and that the coach you are trying to buy is the only one, it isn't.

It will work anywhere any time.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping