Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Just our opinion but we try to avoid CW like the plague. They seem to be happy only with overcharging the newbes on rigs and service. OK they may have selection but at a large price.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #72

Never buy a motorhome from camper world

Old 03-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsheldon View Post
Someone mentioned it above, but you need to know what the rig is worth before you go to CW to dicker. First, NADA pricing isn't worth anything in todays market. Go on line and type in the model your looking at. You'll most likely find dozens. Look on e-bay, RV trader etc untill you'r comfortable you know the price range for similar models. Dealers usually have higher prices than private sales. Then when you go to CW you will know what is the most you are willing to pay. Don't be afraid to offer a price lower that what you have seen on the internet or walk away if they won't meet your deal. The most they can say is no. One additional significant cost is sales tax. A dealer will charge you sales tax and on a 60k motorhome thats a bunch. I don't know where you live, but in Ga. if you buy from a private party and live in Ga. you don't have to pay sale tax. Good luck

however in ga, you have to pay an advalorem tax on rv purchased from an individual.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazworth View Post
Good morning! In our search for a used class A, we found one at a Camping World that we think fits everything we are looking for. Our question is, are most Camping Worlds easy to deal with? They are asking ($60k) about $5000 above NADA average retail. I think I would be more inclined to offer $10,000 less than what they are asking. Having never really dickered over a price like this, I am unsure how to proceed. If anyone can offer any expertise, we would be most grateful!

it has been our experience that cw is hard to negotiate with. consider, buying privately, try craiglist and e-bay.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #75

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
buying an rv or any vehicles from whom is always an individual thing... some people like to buy that from dealers they feel a sense of peace, considering extra money worth it; while the people on the other side of aisle prefer buying from individuals - the original owners, mostly resulting in huge savings. can't say who is right. i am among the latter though. i believe the OOs' prices reflect real market, uninflated. i do recommend to have a mechanic to do ppi, as i did. you can keep shopping there are a lot of nice and super value coaches out there. patience and more homework will render you an ideal one with lot of savings.
Here in WA state if you sell your old rig yourself and buy a new one you pay the sales/use tax on the total amount of the new one. If you trade through a dealer you only pay the sales/use tax on the difference. And the tax is getting close to 10% now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:20 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Here in WA state if you sell your old rig yourself and buy a new one you pay the sales/use tax on the total amount of the new one. If you trade through a dealer you only pay the sales/use tax on the difference. And the tax is getting close to 10% now.
this is interesting... in nv or az, if you buy a vehicle from a private party, sales/use tax is exempted but from a dealer the tax is collected... don't know where the op is located, surely this is a case by case thing
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #77

Bought our rig at Lakewood NJ camping world... Did tons of research and got our asking price first round... No hagling. Got a brand new DP 30% off MSRP... Homework is key... They'll make their money and you get the price you are willing to pay. However, our transaction is not yet complete, our MH is expected at the end of the month... Lots of time for the experience to go sour. Keeping our fingers crossed. So far CW world has been positive experience for us.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #78

I bought my Newmar Dutchstar from camping world as a newbie and over paid 10% at least. On my next will do lots more looking. I had a good experience but at a newbie price. Ouch !
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #79

We finally took delivery of our new coach from Camping World of Bartow today. Other than the wait till we could have what we wanted built, the experience in dealing with Camping World was great. We'd do business with them again, no problem. This being our fourth RV, we knew want we wanted, Bartow CW get a great job with us, thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #80

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlcrazier View Post
this is interesting... in nv or az, if you buy a vehicle from a private party, sales/use tax is exempted but from a dealer the tax is collected... don't know where the op is located, surely this is a case by case thing
Precisely why I said "Here in WA state"!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #81

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I bought my Newmar Dutchstar from camping world as a newbie and over paid 10% at least. On my next will do lots more looking. I had a good experience but at a newbie price. Ouch !
You should put your info in your sig file.

Must have been a used unit as CW isn't a Newmar dealer. The story is that CW wanted more discount then Newmar would go for.
And, if CW were, I wouldn't buy from them.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #82

Mr D, not sure what you mean by putting info in sig file? Please explain. Must be too early foe me.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #83

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by esfritzi View Post
Take the sales person out on the lot and ask him roughly how many units they have in stock. Let him come up with a number. Then ask him how much it costs every day to cover the cost of floorplan interest, overhead, etc. Then ask how many days does a unit have to sit on the lot before their profit margin goes up in smoke! Then, a smart sales person will have the light bulb go on and say something like, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".
um you are confusing sales people and accountant/manager types. Salesmen dont care about costs, overhead, or even when the sun will set. They usually only care about anything within a 3" radius.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #84

Best case - go with a locally owned dealer if possible. CW should be your last resort.

I had an okay experience with CW. We bought our 2003 Fleetwood Southwind from the CW in Hope Mills, NC a few weeks ago. Plus side is the selection and safety inspection your new purchase will go through - got 6 new tires AFTER we pointed it out to the salesperson.

Down side is that it is a franchise that does little to nothing further than the bare minimum.

Think mom and pop restaurant vs. McDonald's. Same result in the end, it's just the little things that matter the most that CW won't do b/c they're a franchise.

Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping