Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Buying an RV from Camping World

Good morning! In our search for a used class A, we found one at a Camping World that we think fits everything we are looking for. Our question is, are most Camping Worlds easy to deal with? They are asking ($60k) about $5000 above NADA average retail. I think I would be more inclined to offer $10,000 less than what they are asking. Having never really dickered over a price like this, I am unsure how to proceed. If anyone can offer any expertise, we would be most grateful!

Charles & Regina Nichols & Maggie Mae
2008 Ford F-250 CC 5.4L 3.73
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30SKP
chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
Our Motorhome came from camping world. We are very satisfied with the way they have stood behind their promise. They have been responsive and nice to solve one very difficult service issue.

Here are five ways to negotiate more effectively. Remember there are more things to bargain than price. Ask for new tires, replace caulk on the roof etc. or maybe include an extended warranty. Make a rule to "sleep on it" and come back tomorrow before you sign. Watch Pawn Stars.

1) Learn to flinch.

The flinch is one of the oldest negotiation tactics but one of the least used. A flinch is a visible reaction to an offer or price. The objective of this negotiation tactic is to make the other people feel uncomfortable about the offer they presented. Here is an example of how it works.

A supplier quotes a price for a specific service. Flinching means you respond by exclaiming, "You want how much?!?!" You must appear shocked and surprised that they could be bold enough to request that figure. Unless the other person is a well seasoned negotiator, they will respond in one of two ways; a) they will become very uncomfortable and begin to try to rationalize their price, b) they will offer an immediate concession.

2) Recognize that people often ask for more than they expect to get.

This means you need to resist the temptation to automatically reduce your price or offer a discount. I once asked for a hefty discount on a pair of shoes hoping to get half of what I asked for. I was pleasantly surprised when the shop owner agreed to my request.

3) The person with the most information usually does better.

You need to learn as much about the other person's situation. This is a particularly important negotiation tactic for sales people. Ask your prospect more questions about their purchase. Learn what is important to them as well as their needs and wants.

4) Practice at every opportunity.

Most people hesitate to negotiate because they lack the confidence. Develop this confidence by negotiating more frequently. Ask for discounts from your suppliers. As a consumer, develop the habit of asking for a price break when you buy from a retail store.

Be pleasant and persistent but not demanding. Condition yourself to negotiate at every opportunity will help you become more comfortable, confident and successful.

5) Maintain your walk away power.

It is better to walk away from a sale rather than make too large a concession or give a deep discount your product or service. After attending my workshops, salespeople often tell that this negotiation strategy gives them the most leverage when dealing with customers. However, it is particularly challenging to do when in the midst of a sales slump or slow sales period.

Negotiating is a way of life in some cultures. And most people negotiate in some way almost every day. Apply these negotiation strategies and you will notice a difference in your negotiation skills almost immediately.

Story here
MickBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
After the initial greetings and pleasantries and then emphasizing out a few flaws in the product I always ask: "What is your best price for this?" It usually results in a lowered price.

'99 Bounder 30E with V10 and '06 Wrangler tow (no more dolly )
trainsktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Mick has a lot of great points. Do your homework by searching other websites for similar models.

When I bought my 2000 Hurricane I KNEW it was overpriced but did get brand new tires, complete roof caulking, each and every system checked out, adjusted, tested, new awning material, full tank of gas, and a few other things. I had looked around on various websites and had an idea of what others were selling for and was comfortable with what I was paying.

Don't fall in love with the MH until after you sign the deal. Up until then be prepared to walk away if you are not happy with the deal.

Get in writing from the sales manager / owner who is responsible for fixing stuff after your first shakedown trip. There will no doubt be items to fix/adjust that you will find when you get on the road.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
It's your money dicker away if you pay sticker or asking price who's laughing. You just tell them a offer and if they don't respond just say I'll think about it and walk away they will call you back. I dickered for 37% off sticker, 2 recliner chairs and a matching rug, 2 tanks of fuel and won.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Lots of great points here - as always. I think Americans, in general, are "culturally" not good at negotiating. Having spent tours in Asia, Europe and the Middle East, bartering is taken for granted and expected. I always chuckle remembering as a young green troop at a street fair asking a vendor for the price on a item and when she told me, I said "OK - I'll take it"... It was like a comedy movie - the world stopped, you could have heard a pin drop. My lesson (learned at the expense of my wallet), there was no expectation to get their asking price - it's all about the dance.

Again - great info here - I always appreciate those willing to share to assist those of us who are learning a new and incredibly diverse subject.
JBoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Buying an RV from camping world

Friends of mine bought a used fifth wheel from camping world. They told the salesman what their budget was. He had to ask his boss and they got it for their budget price. They stood firm on what they could afford. I think it was $12.000.00. It is a buyers market out there.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by trainsktg View Post
After the initial greetings and pleasantries and then emphasizing out a few flaws in the product I always ask: "What is your best price for this?" It usually results in a lowered price.

If you asked me that question, Id ask if you had trouble with your eyesight.

I will NEVER tell you what my "best" price is. Feel free to make an offer or bid on it if on ebay. Negotiation 101.

At least you are serious enough to negotiate in person... too many buyers have heard the sound of my phone hanging up when asking your question.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
Someone mentioned it above, but you need to know what the rig is worth before you go to CW to dicker. First, NADA pricing isn't worth anything in todays market. Go on line and type in the model your looking at. You'll most likely find dozens. Look on e-bay, RV trader etc untill you'r comfortable you know the price range for similar models. Dealers usually have higher prices than private sales. Then when you go to CW you will know what is the most you are willing to pay. Don't be afraid to offer a price lower that what you have seen on the internet or walk away if they won't meet your deal. The most they can say is no. One additional significant cost is sales tax. A dealer will charge you sales tax and on a 60k motorhome thats a bunch. I don't know where you live, but in Ga. if you buy from a private party and live in Ga. you don't have to pay sale tax. Good luck
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A sell can ask anything they want and hope to get a sucker to pay that amount.

Truthfully, clean used RVs are selling for Low NADA retail (no option adds) and lower. I'd ovver under Low NADA retail and if they say no, leave your phone number and leave. Keep looking fro a decent deal.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
I don't think dealing with Camping World would be any more difficult to deal with than any other dealer.

As others have said, negotiate, negotiate, negotiate! The NADA price does not reflect recent sales in the market. I bought my current rig from a dealer about a month ago. I was able to get the price down roughly 37% (including my old rig as trade with upside down loan) from his asking price. The one we got is in emaculate condition and our final "all in" price was just a bit under other we found sold searching the internet. The dealer also "threw in" a five year extended warranty plan (exclusionary policy) and a year's worth of Coach-net.

After doing our homework, I made the dealer my low ball offer. He made a higher counter offer. We hemmed and hawed for a bit and I came up just a bit, when he hesitated I balked and told him we would think about it. Before we got out the door he came down to our offer and threw in the extras. Do your homework, find SOLD prices for the make and model you are considering. PPL Motorhomes is a good place to start. Make your offer a bit lower than you expect to end up. Be prepared to walk, it's a buyer's market right now. You have the cash (or credit) and that is king.
Tom and Barb
'07 Winnebago Voyage 35L
Workhorse W22 chassis FMCA 219315
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Ford Super Duty Owner
When you make your offer, always wait for the salesman to speak next. Many times, silence will win.
2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35P
Towing a 2014 Jeep Rubicon 4 Door with a Can Am Maverick XRS 1000 SXS behind the Jeep.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #13
Appalachian Campers
I think I paid too much money on the last 3 motorhomes we bought. There, I said it and it doesn't change anything - I still paid it. The only good thing is I paid cash and am not paying a ridiculous interest rate on the extra cost every month.
We have looked at a couple of nice units we would like to have had, and even considered making an offer. But I know we would not get beans for the coach we have now and would pay for something we don't really NEED just to replace it with something we like better. The only reason I could see now is the color needs to be lighter! A black coach in this heat wave is just useless to stay in and try to be comfortable.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Went into the Chevy dealership with a pre approved amount for a truck. Had to tell them several times that no we didn't have any cash to add and no we would not put the difference on a credit card and NO we would not ask a family member for the difference. We got the truck.

'10 Forest River Sierra 300RL 5th & 12 Chevy Silverado 2500HD - SK3 70-72 Go Navy!
Georgie-boxer mix, Skippy-Jack russell and Ollie.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote