Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2011, 12:29 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Buying An RV from Camping World Question

Has anyone had a positive experience, buying a Class A motorhome from Camping World?

I've found the model I want, and they tentatively agreed to a mid-retail to mid-retail trade for my DP. It appears to be in superb condition, with enough mileage to avert infant mortality woes.

If there is a problem, have owners found satisfactory warranty service at Camping Worlds other than the one who sold the rig?
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #2

I bought a used class A gas from the Chattanooga CampingWorld and they lied [moderator edit] about the condition of the rig. I was a first time buyer and didn't know everything to look for and they wanted to get rid of it anyway possible. I drove almost 500 miles to buy it and found multiple problems later after I made it home. I share some responsibility for the deal because of my own inexperience.
However, it doesn't mean every CampingWorld uses questionable practices to sell RVs. You already own one so you're more knowledgeable than I was. I think there's a buyer's checklist or something like that on this forum if you search for it.
I've found trusting your instincts works too and ask a TON of questions. In my case I didn't trust my instincts and should have. Luckily I was able to fix everything myself. But still a huge headache.
Hey, if this is the worst thing that happens to me in my lifetime I'll take it!
Good Luck!
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot depends on the location. All Camping World locations are not the same, especially from the service department perspective.
Like many places, after you sign the paperwork the salesman is dusting his hands of the deal and difficult to find. So you end up dealing with the service department. The service department made no promises so make sure you get everything in writing from the salesman.
In my case I was able to get the Chattanooga folks to authorize a little work at another service site, however, that did not appear to be a standard practice so I do not think they all operate under the same umbrella. Chattanooga did eventually fix almost everything needed to my satisfaction.

Talk to customers coming out of the service area where you are dealing. lThey can give you the goods on that location.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We bought our first MH new from a Camping World. We think we got a good deal since it was a left over, the last one they had and the price considerably lower than retail. Fortunately we never had any service issues other than one small problem with a drawer that took 2 tries to fix. I did any maintenance I could so we never had to take it back. I read some horror stories about that CW's service afterwards.

When we started looking to upgrade we stopped there and had our eye on a new class A, maybe. The trade in price they gave us was about $15K under low book. Middle finger came to mind. Told the salesman we were insulted and good bye. He comes back with make us an offer. No thanks, we are not playing that game. Bought our current one from another dealer that gave us about what we thought it was worth in trade right off the bat. They also took care of a couple of problems with it no questions asked.

This is the CW near us and again they are all not the same. This link might help you determine how your CW's service is RV Service Review
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:43 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought my motorhome from a dealer before they became a Camping World retail lot. The service department was terrible! They had to call the factory for every single repair they did and they took weeks to do the repairs. Then Camping World bought them. Guess what? They replaced the sales manager and many of the staff but kept the service manager! I haven't been back (and won't go back) but I imagine the service department still stinks.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought our class A new from Camping World. We only had 1 warranty problem which they fixed quickly. We had a 5th wheel before this and had them do installs and repairs, so I knew the local service was good. Again, they are all different.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #7

we bought our current MH from camping world and were happy with the deal, however we never had to go back for any problem's so connot comment on the service.
supermod38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
When looking for a new rig, we visited several Camping World's where they sell RV's. The only one that we felt comfortable with was the one at Knoxville, Tn and it was not a CW lot, but a independent facility attached to the CW store. The people at the Chattannooga store and Kissimmee, Fl store made us nervous and my "gut" told me to go elsewhere.

When buying new at one of those places, you have to concern yourself with service after the sale and a proper PDI prior to the contract being signed. But, the thing that concerned me the most about buying a used unit at any CW is the fact that they are big into renting motor homes. I will not buy a used rental RV for the same reason that I wouldn't buy a used rental car; they could have been abused by any number of people and they may be a problem just waiting to happen. This is just my opinion and folks could possibly do well at CW when purchasing a RV.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:30 AM   #9
Community Administrator

I sold boats for awhile and always ordered a survey ( through inspection, unless buyer didn't want it ) on used and sometimes on new. It's well worth the cost. You then have the dealer fix everything that was discovered prior to closing. Then you won't have to worry what they will or won't fix after they have all your money. That separates the good dealers from the rest.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #10

Brought my 2010 MH from Camping World in Little Rock, AR. Got a great deal on my trade in had a few questions about some thing with the MH and they were fix right away. My salesman is doing a BBQ for our RV club with all the trimming and giving away door prizes so I'm pretty happy with our Camping World. But like everyone says it depends on the dealership!
Happy Camping
kimwms58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All in all I am happy with the Camping World in Burlington, WA where I purchased my used Class A, but I did catch them in one lie, but they made good on it when I called them on it. I have also found a couple of omissions of information that I think they should have shared with a first time RV purchaser (Like the age issue on tires).

You have to keep in mind that a lot of the places are franchises or associates, and while they are under the Camping World Unbrella, they do not all follow the same rules. Get everything the Salesman says in writting!!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:10 PM   #12

I bought a class A from Camping World, Mesa, AZ. It was the absolute worst purchase experience I'v ever had. Never been back and never will.
jdecastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #13

We had a very negative experience in buying used Class A at Camping World at Oakwood, GA. Discovered 5 weeks after purchase they had not sent extended warranty papers to Good Sam. Good Sam denied claims saying issues were "pre-existing" and CW showed inspection sheet with all OK. Requested meeting with manager at CW who would not return phone call. Wrote email to M. Lemonis, CEO, with no reply. Buyer beware.
GigiShaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I purchased a used class A from Blaine Jensen RV in kaysville, Utah. The sale manager was OK and stood up to his word but the finance manager was a crook. He tried to change the terms on the contract and after being caught said oops sorry yea right!! The coach was a consignment I found out later but got a great deal. We are very happy with our coach but would not purchase from the same dealer. Just remember if you are buying a used coach it is used and will have to deal with repairs. Good luck JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping