Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I have a little different take on this... While the mileage is not as much of a concern when it comes to the engine and transmission, the miles will have taken a toll on every nut, bolt, joint, fitting, hinge, screw, spring, etc...

Also, based on the mileage on this coach it is/was owned by full timers, which means every system was used every day... Slides, jacks, air bags, plumbing, AC/heat, fridge, bed, etc.

I know you full timers will disagree, but IMO, unless you get a super buy on this coach, I would pass... Unless you don't mind spending a lot of time getting nickeled and dimed with constant maintenance.

I'm a weekend warrior so the less time I'm working on my coach, the more time I'm on the road enjoying it.

This is an often quoted truism but isn't really factual. Many coach builders will say, some where in the fine print, "not for full time living". There is a reason for this caveat and if you pay attention to this disclaimer then you should come out ahead. Most of the systems in a full timing coach will stand up just fine to everyday use and many of the systems will do better with regular use than with long periods of storage.

My coach is 11 years old and we have lived full time in it for 8 of those years. No constant nickel and dime repairs. Just the regular routine maintenance which I usually do and an occasional up grade or personalizing touch. We have over 100 k on the coach and 68 years on the driver. I'm sure the coach is good for another 100k but the if the 2nd 68 years are as tough as the first, I'm not sure I'll make it.

The OP was looking at a Country Coach and I'm sure it will be fine if the regular maintenance has been performed.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2014, 09:27 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
We have over 100 k on the coach and 68 years on the driver. I'm sure the coach is good for another 100k but the if the 2nd 68 years are as tough as the first, I'm not sure I'll make it.

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I have a little different take on this... While the mileage is not as much of a concern when it comes to the engine and transmission, the miles will have taken a toll on every nut, bolt, joint, fitting, hinge, screw, spring, etc...

Also, based on the mileage on this coach it is/was owned by full timers, which means every system was used every day... Slides, jacks, air bags, plumbing, AC/heat, fridge, bed, etc.

I know you full timers will disagree, but IMO, unless you get a super buy on this coach, I would pass... Unless you don't mind spending a lot of time getting nickeled and dimed with constant maintenance.

I'm a weekend warrior so the less time I'm working on my coach, the more time I'm on the road enjoying it.

He is exactly right, while everyone is talking about the engine and transmission, it's the wear and the tear on the box that you have to worry about the most.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:41 AM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Buying a USED motor home requires the purchaser to be careful and LUCKY!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
I think that might be where my concerns would go as well. Not to the engine and tranny but everywhere else. All the other moving bits and fasteners. Not to say it can't be done but the price does need to be right and I would suggest that the buyer be someone who is prepared to take on the other things. 2005 is not that old so maybe it isn't much of concern but I would look carefully at all the slides, plumbing etc.
I would expect re-sale to be more difficult as well.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When you look at the kelly bluebook on diesel pushers. They do not even factor mileage in the value of the coach only gas engine motorhomes. I was told by a diesel mechanic once that diesel engines aren't even broken in until about 30,000 miles
Old 11-30-2014, 12:05 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
He is exactly right, while everyone is talking about the engine and transmission, it's the wear and the tear on the box that you have to worry about the most.
It's like the old line, 'six of one and half a dozen of the other'.

Higher mileage can indicate that the coach was used for trips.
Lower mileage can indicate that the coach was used for living in on a location.

Either way the house systems could possibly have received the same amount of use.

Unless of course, the lower mileage indicates that the coach wasn't being used much at all, which in my mind is possibly the worst of all scenarios.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes to most of the above... full inspections, fluid analysis, etc. But...

It's not the quantity of the miles that would concern me most, it's the quality of the miles. Try to get inside the mind of the previous owner - did he or she love their rig, or did they just use it up?

Are any visible repairs amateurish patch jobs or were they professionally attended to? When parts were replaced, were they replaced with OEM or cheap knock-offs or were they upgraded? Are there any affiliation/membership stickers inside or out, like GS, RVIA, FMCA? If the previous owner loved the lifestyle enough to join a club, chances are good he or she loved their coach enough to take care of it properly. And if they loved it enough to take care of it properly, chances are you'll love it too.

My two cents, worth every penny...

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:23 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Higher mileage diesels are ok but lower mileage is better. Some are suggesting that if you have a choice of two simular coaches you should go with the higher mileage. All things equal the lower mileage coach will have less wear and tear.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:54 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think every post has had some very valid points. The best thing for the OP to do is to try and find out as much about the history of this vehicle as possible and get a professional inspection done... then make an educated decision. All we are doing is talking generalities... The good news is that Country Coach is an excellent quality built coach. What happened between the time it left the factory and now is for you to find out... What ever you decide and find out, please let us know.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
This topic is of great interest to me and has different points of view about different scenarios of used coaches. Not to highjack the topic but I'll throw in one other scenario. I am looking at a 2011 MADP with 110K mi that supposedly belonged to a Sprint series driver. It is being traded and whole-saled. I'm facing the same issues as the OP, but a different scenario, high miles, later model. I am supposed to go for a test drive next weekend after it arrives. I have been told on another topic that that it would be hard to sell, but the savings now make it worth a look if it is in good condition. Does anybody know if there is a good nationwide network for 3rd party inspections for RV's like there is for construction equipment and cars?
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
This topic is of great interest to me and has different points of view about different scenarios of used coaches. Not to highjack the topic but I'll throw in one other scenario. I am looking at a 2011 MADP with 110K mi that supposedly belonged to a Sprint series driver. It is being traded and whole-saled. I'm facing the same issues as the OP, but a different scenario, high miles, later model. I am supposed to go for a test drive next weekend after it arrives. I have been told on another topic that that it would be hard to sell, but the savings now make it worth a look if it is in good condition. Does anybody know if there is a good nationwide network for 3rd party inspections for RV's like there is for construction equipment and cars?
What would you expect to buy this Coach for vs the same Coach with low miles? How much lower......... would be a good deal to you?
Just wondering.....
Old 11-30-2014, 10:56 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
About 80K below an identical unit with 13K mi, that is listed by a dealer on RVTRader. About 60K below NADA low retail w/o mileage and options.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
About 80K below an identical unit with 13K mi, that is listed by a dealer on RVTRader. About the same below NADA low retail w/o mileage.
Thank you, interesting.......one thing about that Coach......it was used to travel......and sleep, I would guess the inside looks like brand new still due to the nature of it lifestyle.......80k would steer me that way.........
Again , thank you........make sure to post photo's of it, if..........