Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Buying an RV with high mileage

I'm considering purchasing a 2005 Country Coach that has over 140,000 miles, but sounds like it has been properly maintained. What should I be concerned about with that number of miles of use.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntinling View Post
I'm considering purchasing a 2005 Country Coach that has over 140,000 miles, but sounds like it has been properly maintained. What should I be concerned about with that number of miles of use.
Hello and Welcome !!!!
Maintenance records, oil and coolant, and tranny test results would be a plus.........High mileage Coach's can be bought right.......seems they are hard to sell, the ones I have watched on ebay..........usually ends up in a no reserve auction. There are just a ton of low mileage Coach's on the market right now........but the low miles comes with a price tag........The mileage is most of the time reflected inside

Old 11-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it gas or diesel?
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

It has a Cummins ISL 400 and an Allison tran.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #5

You want a diesel that has miles on it. They aren't made too sit around and do low miles. If records indicate care and oil changes I wouldn't worry about it. Do oil analysis, if it shows good, then go for it. I looked at a CAT with 140k mi owner said it runs better now than when it was new 😜
Old 11-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If I were looking at high mileage coach it would have to come with maintenance records that prove it's been maintained. The big $$ items are the ones that you should be concerned about, Engine & Cooling circuit, Transmission, Differential, Generator. I would have a 3d party inspection and request they do oil analysis.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #7

as all above said, maintenance records!! the mileage is a little high (engine will not be worn but other moving parts will so you can have it as a bargain chip). you do need to have a very experienced rv shop to do a ppi, though $$$ it's worth it.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Miles Ain't All Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
If I were looking at high mileage coach it would have to come with maintenance records that prove it's been maintained. The big $$ items are the ones that you should be concerned about, Engine & Cooling circuit, Transmission, Differential, Generator. I would have a 3d party inspection and request they do oil analysis.
I'd embrace a 140K mi. 2005, but only with decent maintenance, as jacwjames indicates.

The pre-buy inspection and a check to ensure there are upgraded shocks, bushings, hoses and belts is key. Look for evidence that plumbing connections have been kept tight, the house components serviced. Be alert for fogged windows.

One caution: even though it might be the best 2005 candidate out there, selling it will be challenging; the naive buying public insist on thinking of mileage in DPs as if they were automobiles.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #9

If it has been maintained and not abused, high mileage is not a factor. We have about 163,000 miles on ours, and I have no doubt it will go for several hundred thousand miles more. Engine purrs like a Cat (it is!), and has no indication of oil use.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My son drives semis and the one he has now has over 700,000 (yes, seven hundred thousand miles) on it. It has had regular maintenance and oil changes and runs great. He has no issues with it.
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
140,000 miles is no concern, provided proper maintenance can be proven, and the coach appears to have been well treated. Our coach is much older with 145,000 miles, and we hope that it will continue for many, many more years and miles. Cummins C8.3 engine, runs as new, does not burn any oil.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:04 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Amen to the previous posts. According to Cummins, their diesel engines
are not fully broken in until 140,000k, so with proven, professional
maintenance records, a professional examination of the engine
and components, you should be good to go. As noted, a low
mileage engine from 05 would have a lot more concerns. JMHO.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We have 105K on our 2002 coach.
We also have all service records, receipts, etc.
The entire coach is fully serviced every year.
The aquahot is serviced twice a year.

SERVICE SERVICE SERVICE.
RECORDS TO PROVE IT.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a little different take on this... While the mileage is not as much of a concern when it comes to the engine and transmission, the miles will have taken a toll on every nut, bolt, joint, fitting, hinge, screw, spring, etc...

Also, based on the mileage on this coach it is/was owned by full timers, which means every system was used every day... Slides, jacks, air bags, plumbing, AC/heat, fridge, bed, etc.

I know you full timers will disagree, but IMO, unless you get a super buy on this coach, I would pass... Unless you don't mind spending a lot of time getting nickeled and dimed with constant maintenance.

I'm a weekend warrior so the less time I'm working on my coach, the more time I'm on the road enjoying it.

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote