Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #1

Buying another Class A

I'm one dissatisfied Thor class A owner. Had it for two years now and its been in the shop for repairs longer and more times than I've been on the road with it, something is always breaking every trip out. Time to trade it for another brand/model. But I'm not sure which class a model brand I should get for under $200k. I like the layouts in a lot of the models but I can't find any pros and cons or reliability on the models that I like. I'll never go for another Thor product again, and don't even get me going on Campers World, lol. Any suggestions out there?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Gas or diesel??

Newmar
Tiffin
Winnebago

Old 05-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tiffin or Newmar

Quality, value, and customer service.

IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:10 AM   #4

And Monaco.

If buying used don't dismiss Craigs list and e-bay, but as always buyer beware and common sense.

In your price range and used perhaps Entegra, Newell, Foretravel and American Coach.

I would consider a builders reputation and buy used over new with not so sterling reputation. JMO.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #5

All of them can have issues from time to time, but to be in the shop for extended periods of time is ridiculous. We spent a little more to get our Newmar, and are really happy we did. We had heard all the great things about Newmar, and our dealer told us it would be very unlikely we would experience break downs as you have had and being in the shop for extended period of time. Even with all that and reading all the horror stories you read on IRV2, we were skeptical but went with Newmar.

So far we have owned ours for a little over two years, put over 12,000 miles on it, have spent over 150 nights in it camping, both full hookups and boondocking. We have only had to take it in twice during the original warranty period, one for some minor adjustments and a switch replacement, and the micro wave recall. Both times we stayed with the MH, watched what they did so we could make the adjustments if ever needed again, and took the MH home the same day. Now that is what I call a quality built MH, and quality service. I hate to bring any of my vehicles/RV's into any shop for any reason, let alone to let it sit there for an extended period of time.

So the bottom line is you get what you pay for, so do your research like you are doing. At the base price starting point for MH's, spending a few thousand more will get you a quality MH that you love. We love our Newmar, and if we ever buy another MH it will definitely be a Newmar.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
I'm one dissatisfied Thor class A owner. Had it for two years now and its been in the shop for repairs longer and more times than I've been on the road with it, something is always breaking every trip out. Time to trade it for another brand/model. But I'm not sure which class a model brand I should get for under $200k. I like the layouts in a lot of the models but I can't find any pros and cons or reliability on the models that I like. I'll never go for another Thor product again, and don't even get me going on Campers World, lol. Any suggestions out there?
I spent a long time looking for a nice new motorhome. Originally wanted a Thor Outlaw. After searching, I found that any rig under $300k seems to be pretty cheaply built. I ended up with a garaged 2008 Itasca Ellipse with 9k miles on it. Way nicer for the money than anything new...

Like stated above, Tiffin, Newmar, Winnebago are the brands to look at.

My favorite right now is a Tiffin 37AS. Short, 450 Cummins ISL, cool floor plan, but way more than I want to pay lol.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a '98 Santara that was like the OP's except that I did the repairs. After a thorough investigation we ordered a Newmar Dutch Star. Then a couple years later we ordered a second one and kept it for 13 very satisfied years. Should have gotten another one rather than the Magna!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:15 PM   #8

I spent almost two years looking before I decided I wanted a Newmar.
I never regretted that decision.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I like higher end Fleetwoods...
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
1) Don't buy new. Let someone else deal with the nitpicky problems in the first year or two. Let someone else eat the depreciation.

2) Select the most robust, highest quality coach brand you can find to meet your needs, then move back in time until the price point matches your budget. Quality lasts. Quality stands up to usage. Using your own described experience to compare, you'll be far better off with a 12 y/o Dutch Star than a new Thor.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #11

we've had trouble with our Thor as well and just gave up after 18 months and have arranged to trade if for our new Tiffin 32 SA. Looked at Newmar and Winnebago as well. Tiffin won for us.

No more entry level. We should have "bought our last RV first" like so many recommended.

Shop, look and drive until you find what you want. I got completely blindsided when the wife and I decided to check out a dealership about 3 hours away to look at the Tiffin she decided we should go ahead right then....

It's still a Ford chassis, but the issues we had should have been caught at Thor or at least by the dealer after the long drive from the factory.

no more Thor for me, either.....
Old 05-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #12

Our Itasca Sunova is pretty much considered entry level but i have to say that, for the price we paid, it's been a pretty good rig. The fit and finish was what swayed us back in 2003.

This is kinda unusual but the thing that has give us trouble is the chassis itself. The Workhorse, with the brakes and spark plug issues has been a pain. The coach itself has held in there good with, so far, none of the exterior, interior, or appliances ever giving us any trouble.

We have been pleased with our Itasca so i suspect the higher up models to be even better.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #13

You can get a brand new newmar VLDP for under $200K. Great coach.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:09 PM   #14

Our Georgetown, bought used (1yr,3000miles) has been almost problem free on the Forest River side. Ford replaced the AC compressor. If I had to replace it, I would look at a Berkshire, but only the one with Hydraulic slides.

Tags
class a