Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
(BTW very few dealers can be trusted to actually do what they say they will do).
Mel
'96 Safari
They have stated explicitly that the unit is on consignment and is being sold as-is, so they haven't said that will do anything. I'm approaching it the same as a private party sale and not expecting anything from the dealer other than doing the paperwork.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Considering how much you are potentially going to spend being there for the inspection might be worth the cost of a round trip in addition to the one way flight if you do buy might be something to consider. A quick check of flights from Boston to say Dallas is only $250 or so round trip. The inspection will probably cost more.

Buy new tires before heading home. Use the age of the tires to drive the price down but don't negotiate the dealer buying replacements. One blowout at speed on the interstate is something you really want to avoid in a new to you coach.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:30 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Since you don't have a history on the rig I'd recommend getting new tires and invest in a TPMS first thing. That way you know you have good tires and can take care of them.

If you are having an independent inspection done I would suggest getting engine/transmission/coolant samples. This will tell you a lot of the condition of the drive train.

Make sure whoever does the inspection check every appliance. Run the generator under a heavy and test everything.

I happen to find a coach in Florida when I drove my parents there from Wisconsin. My wife an I went to look at it, I could not find anything wrong with it. After we got home I thought about it and called the dealer and made an offer which he accepted. I wired a down payment and then flew down to pick it up. After I got it home I took it to Cummins for an inspection and service. No problems found.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #18

Why not have the inspection done prior to deposit. Then you would only be out the cost of the inspection vice planes tickets, deposit, etc.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #19
WDW

I'm on the light side of this - buy bottled water to drink / coffee. But have them fill the tank lav use.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
It's in New Braunfels, which looks to be about a half hour outside of San Antonio.

Not an issue pm me
Old 08-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #21

It sounds like you have done your homework. I was not so smart and believed what the consignment dealer told me. Twice I specifically ask about water leaks and was told "none". My wife and I flew into San Antonio, Tx., rented a car and drove to New Braunfel. When I open the door on the MH it smelled musty and on closer inspection found water stains under numerous cabinets. Paid premium price for one way airfare home. Lesson learned, "don't let the consignment company do the inspection"!
Old 08-29-2016, 09:15 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Not Gonna Happen

Well, this one isn't going to happen. I had the RV inspected and there were several rather significant issues, along with enough minor ones to lead me to believe the coach was used but never maintained.

Very disappointing.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:16 PM   #23

affreeman, whatever you paid for the PPI, it was money well spent. It saved you a plane ticket but more than that, it saved you from buying a money pit. A bad buy in the RV world can cost very large sums of money along with many frustrations. I flew from Alaska to Texas only to walk away from a bad deal. Eventually found the right motorhome in Idaho. It is a little like look for a needle in the haystack, it just takes time. Hang in there
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's money well spent--especially if you can't look at it in person yourself. Unfortunately, there are more bad ones than good ones for sale.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Well, this one isn't going to happen. I had the RV inspected and there were several rather significant issues, along with enough minor ones to lead me to believe the coach was used but never maintained.

Very disappointing.
Disappointing but you know a model to seriously consider as you continue your search.

That is one of the downsides of buying used, you are in a big crapshoot and you hope you do not have issues. When you buy new you know you will have some issues.

I often wonder about used vehicles in how were they treated. Especially RV because there are not many knowledgeable owners who maintain properly. Many buy the bling, use randomly several times a year and then sell them because they are not using them enough or they are starting to have issues because the unit was not maintained correctly.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Agreed that it was money well spent, but very frustrating after putting in the time and effort to locate the coach and negotiate the deal. ANd I was working on a tight time frame so I had everything in motion to make the trip down there and close the deal, and it was a royal PITA to slam on the brakes and unwind everything at the last minute.

I know it's the dealer's job to sell RV's, but did they really think I wasn't going to find out about the issues? It would have saved us both a lot of time if they had just been upfront about the real condition of the RV.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Agreed that it was money well spent, but very frustrating after putting in the time and effort to locate the coach and negotiate the deal. ANd I was working on a tight time frame so I had everything in motion to make the trip down there and close the deal, and it was a royal PITA to slam on the brakes and unwind everything at the last minute.

I know it's the dealer's job to sell RV's, but did they really think I wasn't going to find out about the issues? It would have saved us both a lot of time if they had just been upfront about the real condition of the RV.
Went through this also while looking for our replacement coach. It is very frustrating & costs will add up but in the end it'll be worth it! My husband traveled (flew) nearly every weekend for 2 & a half months all over the country looking for our new coach... talk about frustrating! Unfortunately, you're going to run into people who won't be upfront on condition, a LOT of people! Hang in there, you will find your coach.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:53 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say it is the dealer's job to sell. If they took the time and effort to thoroughly inspect each unit it would be good for us and costly for them. It is a form of plausible deniability. Then when something is found they are there to 'fix' the issue possibly for an extra fee.

Everyone tries to portray their unit in the best possible terms. A friend of mine had a motorbike that his wife kept saying "you should sell that POS". As soon as he put it on the market she was saying "best bike we ever had". Just the nature of people.

Obviously undertaking some ventures means you cannot be on a tight time frame. Hang in there. Your unit is waiting for you someplace.