Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2016, 10:41 AM   #29

3rd party inspection cost?

Hi all--this has been a great thread and very informative--can anyone give me an idea of what to expect for cost of a 3rd party inspection? I'm sure they vary, but just as a hypothetical example, maybe for a 2014ish 32 foot Class A? Or if you can't answer to that example, how about an actual cost some of you have paid if you are willing to share?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
They have stated explicitly that the unit is on consignment and is being sold as-is, so they haven't said that will do anything. I'm approaching it the same as a private party sale and not expecting anything from the dealer other than doing the paperwork.

I bought from PPl. no issue with third party inspector.. Also since yours is consignment. its not always AS IS, there is a seller somewhere wanting to get rid of it... you can negotiate everything, inspector finds something wrong, work it out with seller... Its a buyers market..

Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:21 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
We paid for two inspections and passed on two coaches before finding our coach. You actually want two inspections- a 'house' inspection and a chassis inspection. An 'RV' inspector will inspect all the house systems, etc., but most don't check the engine, transmission, brakes and chassis related stuff. Some are better than others. I used google to find the house inspectors, and a Cummins authorized shop to do the chassis inspection (and read the engine codes). I was not at all impressed with the Cummins shop- they said I had a oil pan gasket leak and it was the main crank seal, and they missed two broken brackets such that the intake pipe was just laying on the engine. Each inspection costs $300-500.

If I were to buy again, I would what I did again- fly to Texas to do the house inspection myself and have a shop check the chassis. Buy a good checklist so you know what to look for. If you're not comfortable doing your own inspection, I can tell you this- a house inspector will always find enough problems to pay for the fee.

Good luck!
photopilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:53 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
RV Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzlarson View Post
Hi all--this has been a great thread and very informative--can anyone give me an idea of what to expect for cost of a 3rd party inspection? I'm sure they vary, but just as a hypothetical example, maybe for a 2014ish 32 foot Class A? Or if you can't answer to that example, how about an actual cost some of you have paid if you are willing to share?
I used rvinspection.com. Their prices are listed on the website.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #33

It's over and done with now but I wonder if the things you found wrong could have been easily corrected and for a better negotiated lower price.

Units on consignment are still owned by the owner and negotiating is common practice.

Keep it in mind when out looking and good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:46 AM   #34

Just did this last month with a coach for sale by owner in Texas. Flew into Texas inspected the coach wire transferred the money and headed for home I had 6 year old tires and replaced the steering axle tires prior to leaving expect some problems on the way home turns out some mice built a nest between two of the cooling system components that layer me up with an overheat problem freightliner of Texarkana did fix it but cost me 3 days. FMCA has a discount tire deal on tires but you need to make arangements prior to your trip saved me about400.00 on new steering axle tires I would also have some sort of toeing insurance in place prior to leaving just in case as a short tow will cost you dearly if needed it can be done but not for the unprepared or the faint of heart