Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Buying At A Distance

I have been looking for a used Winnebago / Itasca 33C as that is a floor plan I like very much. Living in the Boston area I of course looked close to here, and even looked at one nearby in Connecticut, but someone else made an offer first so I didn't get that one.

I've found a 2011 in Texas, on consignment at a dealer there. I'm still waiting on answers to a couple of questions so not quite ready to make an offer yet, but thought I'd lay out my thinking here and see if anyone sees anything I've overlooked and should take into consideration.

The unit is on consignment as therefore is being sold as-is, and of course I would be immediately driving it back to Massachusetts so I'm not really interested in the dealer's reputation for service. Any offer I make would be contingent on a satisfactory inspection by a paid RV inspector. (The dealer offered to do this for a price but I told him I'd prefer to hire my own inspector to avoid any conflict of interest.)

I did get photos of the manufacture and weight stickers, and the date codes from the tires. The unit was actually built in 2010, and the tires are from the last quarter of 2009, so I'm assuming I'll be buying 7 new tires and new house batteries. Should I plan to buy tires even before driving it back to Massachusetts?

My initial thought is that, assuming we agree on a price I give them a deposit on a credit card and hire an inspector to go check out the coach. Once that's done and all looks satisfactory, I fly down there with a bank check for the balance.

I would ask them to sanitize the water system and fill the fresh water tank so I can Wally-dock on the way home. And I'd need propane in the tank to run the fridge.

When I leave there I'll stop at a nearby Walmart and stock up on the bare necessities before heading home. If my wife comes with then we'd probably get a bit more than just the necessities.

It would be a 2,000 mile drive so I guess I'd have to allow a week as I would just be getting used to driving the thing.

So, what am I not thinking of?
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I think you have a sound plan.

I would make the sale conditional that manuals and service records are included.

You should get a good orientation whether it is part of the deal or your inspector provides it. You want to know how the systems operate.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/pre-p...ts-204665.html
kerryvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds kinda like what I did...

I put a small non-refundable deposit on mine so the seller would hold it for me for 7 days. He sent me probably 50 photos of everything I wanted to see.

I then bought a one way ticket to New Mexico. IMPORTANT - Be prepared to walk away and give up the deposit.

When I arrived in NM, the inspection went flawless, nothing new turned up, so I gave him the cash, and he gave me the title and I drove it 1500 miles back to Ohio.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have bought at a distance. Agreed on price, placed a refundable deposit contingent on two inspections. Hire a RV inspector to review the coach. Based upon his inspection walk away, renegotiate the price, or travel to do your final inspection and if still satisfied close the deal.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Where in TX?

Be prepared to put tires on it too! You never know what condition they are in or how old they may be.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #7

Another idea

Ask here if someone lives near the dealer and would do a visual inspection before you hire a professional. Todd
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you are looking at PPL, they do not make it easy to get a coach inspected by an independent inspector--they want the inspection fee for themselves. I don't believe they will let you plug in a unit into their electricity.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
I have been looking for a used Winnebago / Itasca 33C as that is a floor plan I like very much. Living in the Boston area I of course looked close to here, and even looked at one nearby in Connecticut, but someone else made an offer first so I didn't get that one.

I've found a 2011 in Texas, on consignment at a dealer there. I'm still waiting on answers to a couple of questions so not quite ready to make an offer yet, but thought I'd lay out my thinking here and see if anyone sees anything I've overlooked and should take into consideration.

The unit is on consignment as therefore is being sold as-is, and of course I would be immediately driving it back to Massachusetts so I'm not really interested in the dealer's reputation for service. Any offer I make would be contingent on a satisfactory inspection by a paid RV inspector. (The dealer offered to do this for a price but I told him I'd prefer to hire my own inspector to avoid any conflict of interest.)

I did get photos of the manufacture and weight stickers, and the date codes from the tires. The unit was actually built in 2010, and the tires are from the last quarter of 2009, so I'm assuming I'll be buying 7 new tires and new house batteries. Should I plan to buy tires even before driving it back to Massachusetts?

My initial thought is that, assuming we agree on a price I give them a deposit on a credit card and hire an inspector to go check out the coach. Once that's done and all looks satisfactory, I fly down there with a bank check for the balance.
I would ask them to sanitize the water system and fill the fresh water tank so I can Wally-dock on the way home. And I'd need propane in the tank to run the fridge.
When I leave there I'll stop at a nearby Walmart and stock up on the bare necessities before heading home. If my wife comes with then we'd probably get a bit more than just the necessities.
It would be a 2,000 mile drive so I guess I'd have to allow a week as I would just be getting used to driving the thing.
So, what am I not thinking of?
affreeman
Although I know that some RV buyers have successfully purchased their RV "long distant" and have been happy/satisfied... I know more "long distant purchasers" that are sorry than I do that are happy.
(BTW very few dealers can be trusted to actually do what they say they will do).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagesByHawk View Post
Where in TX?

Be prepared to put tires on it too! You never know what condition they are in or how old they may be.

X2
If it is near Dallas ft worth area would be glad to take a free look for you. I have done this for others on here.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
X2
If it is near Dallas ft worth area would be glad to take a free look for you. I have done this for others on here.
It's in New Braunfels, which looks to be about a half hour outside of San Antonio.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What happens if you give them a deposit, then find the rig is not what you expected? I would have an agreement, IN WRITING, that the deposit will be refunded if you are not satisfied!

It they're smart they will not accept a bank check from you! Better have an understanding about this before you go. The ONLY safe way is a direct transfer of funds between your bank and theirs!

Hope everything works out good for you! Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
X2
I actually do know how old the tires are. They were manufactured in late 2009, so about to turn 7 years old. I'm expecting to have to replace them all.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
If you are looking at PPL, they do not make it easy to get a coach inspected by an independent inspector--they want the inspection fee for themselves. I don't believe they will let you plug in a unit into their electricity.
It's not PPL, and the dealer has already said they have no problem with a third party inspection.