Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
affreeman's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hub of the Universe
Posts: 412
Buying At A Distance

I have been looking for a used Winnebago / Itasca 33C as that is a floor plan I like very much. Living in the Boston area I of course looked close to here, and even looked at one nearby in Connecticut, but someone else made an offer first so I didn't get that one.

I've found a 2011 in Texas, on consignment at a dealer there. I'm still waiting on answers to a couple of questions so not quite ready to make an offer yet, but thought I'd lay out my thinking here and see if anyone sees anything I've overlooked and should take into consideration.

The unit is on consignment as therefore is being sold as-is, and of course I would be immediately driving it back to Massachusetts so I'm not really interested in the dealer's reputation for service. Any offer I make would be contingent on a satisfactory inspection by a paid RV inspector. (The dealer offered to do this for a price but I told him I'd prefer to hire my own inspector to avoid any conflict of interest.)

I did get photos of the manufacture and weight stickers, and the date codes from the tires. The unit was actually built in 2010, and the tires are from the last quarter of 2009, so I'm assuming I'll be buying 7 new tires and new house batteries. Should I plan to buy tires even before driving it back to Massachusetts?

My initial thought is that, assuming we agree on a price I give them a deposit on a credit card and hire an inspector to go check out the coach. Once that's done and all looks satisfactory, I fly down there with a bank check for the balance.

I would ask them to sanitize the water system and fill the fresh water tank so I can Wally-dock on the way home. And I'd need propane in the tank to run the fridge.

When I leave there I'll stop at a nearby Walmart and stock up on the bare necessities before heading home. If my wife comes with then we'd probably get a bit more than just the necessities.

It would be a 2,000 mile drive so I guess I'd have to allow a week as I would just be getting used to driving the thing.

So, what am I not thinking of?
__________________

__________________
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Gordon Dewald's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 9,615
I think you have a sound plan.

I would make the sale conditional that manuals and service records are included.

You should get a good orientation whether it is part of the deal or your inspector provides it. You want to know how the systems operate.

Good luck with your purchase.
__________________

__________________
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
kerryvan's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 257
Pre-purchase Inspection Reveals $30k in Hidden Defects
__________________
kerryvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Waiter21's Avatar
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 2,933
Sounds kinda like what I did...

I put a small non-refundable deposit on mine so the seller would hold it for me for 7 days. He sent me probably 50 photos of everything I wanted to see.

I then bought a one way ticket to New Mexico. IMPORTANT - Be prepared to walk away and give up the deposit.

When I arrived in NM, the inspection went flawless, nothing new turned up, so I gave him the cash, and he gave me the title and I drove it 1500 miles back to Ohio.
__________________
1999 Fleetwood Southwind 35S (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,366
I have bought at a distance. Agreed on price, placed a refundable deposit contingent on two inspections. Hire a RV inspector to review the coach. Based upon his inspection walk away, renegotiate the price, or travel to do your final inspection and if still satisfied close the deal.
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
ImagesByHawk's Avatar
 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 155
Where in TX?

Be prepared to put tires on it too! You never know what condition they are in or how old they may be.
__________________
2004 HR Ambassador 38PDQ
http://usa-rvnomads.com/
ImagesByHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 324
Another idea

Ask here if someone lives near the dealer and would do a visual inspection before you hire a professional. Todd
__________________
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Community Moderator
 
barmcd's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 4,066
If you are looking at PPL, they do not make it easy to get a coach inspected by an independent inspector--they want the inspection fee for themselves. I don't believe they will let you plug in a unit into their electricity.
__________________
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
I have been looking for a used Winnebago / Itasca 33C as that is a floor plan I like very much. Living in the Boston area I of course looked close to here, and even looked at one nearby in Connecticut, but someone else made an offer first so I didn't get that one.

I've found a 2011 in Texas, on consignment at a dealer there. I'm still waiting on answers to a couple of questions so not quite ready to make an offer yet, but thought I'd lay out my thinking here and see if anyone sees anything I've overlooked and should take into consideration.

The unit is on consignment as therefore is being sold as-is, and of course I would be immediately driving it back to Massachusetts so I'm not really interested in the dealer's reputation for service. Any offer I make would be contingent on a satisfactory inspection by a paid RV inspector. (The dealer offered to do this for a price but I told him I'd prefer to hire my own inspector to avoid any conflict of interest.)

I did get photos of the manufacture and weight stickers, and the date codes from the tires. The unit was actually built in 2010, and the tires are from the last quarter of 2009, so I'm assuming I'll be buying 7 new tires and new house batteries. Should I plan to buy tires even before driving it back to Massachusetts?

My initial thought is that, assuming we agree on a price I give them a deposit on a credit card and hire an inspector to go check out the coach. Once that's done and all looks satisfactory, I fly down there with a bank check for the balance.
I would ask them to sanitize the water system and fill the fresh water tank so I can Wally-dock on the way home. And I'd need propane in the tank to run the fridge.
When I leave there I'll stop at a nearby Walmart and stock up on the bare necessities before heading home. If my wife comes with then we'd probably get a bit more than just the necessities.
It would be a 2,000 mile drive so I guess I'd have to allow a week as I would just be getting used to driving the thing.
So, what am I not thinking of?
affreeman
Although I know that some RV buyers have successfully purchased their RV "long distant" and have been happy/satisfied... I know more "long distant purchasers" that are sorry than I do that are happy.
(BTW very few dealers can be trusted to actually do what they say they will do).
Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:50 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Johndale's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ft Worth texas
Posts: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagesByHawk View Post
Where in TX?

Be prepared to put tires on it too! You never know what condition they are in or how old they may be.

X2
If it is near Dallas ft worth area would be glad to take a free look for you. I have done this for others on here.
__________________
2003 Sightseer 33L
Ford F53
Johndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
affreeman's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hub of the Universe
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
X2
If it is near Dallas ft worth area would be glad to take a free look for you. I have done this for others on here.
It's in New Braunfels, which looks to be about a half hour outside of San Antonio.
__________________
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:45 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 24,255
What happens if you give them a deposit, then find the rig is not what you expected? I would have an agreement, IN WRITING, that the deposit will be refunded if you are not satisfied!

It they're smart they will not accept a bank check from you! Better have an understanding about this before you go. The ONLY safe way is a direct transfer of funds between your bank and theirs!

Hope everything works out good for you! Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
affreeman's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hub of the Universe
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
X2
If it is near Dallas ft worth area would be glad to take a free look for you. I have done this for others on here.
I actually do know how old the tires are. They were manufactured in late 2009, so about to turn 7 years old. I'm expecting to have to replace them all.
__________________
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 03:47 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
affreeman's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hub of the Universe
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
If you are looking at PPL, they do not make it easy to get a coach inspected by an independent inspector--they want the inspection fee for themselves. I don't believe they will let you plug in a unit into their electricity.
It's not PPL, and the dealer has already said they have no problem with a third party inspection.
__________________

__________________
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying long distance bobandshaz MH-General Discussions & Problems 5 08-08-2014 05:18 PM
Buying USED Coach Long Distance -- RV Inspection Milehghcty Class A Motorhome Discussions 15 04-26-2014 07:23 PM
Buying MH, Long Distance John H... Damon 20 03-19-2012 08:13 PM
Long Distance Buying ehackney MH-General Discussions & Problems 3 02-27-2006 02:16 PM
Keep The Distance Hoverbug iRV2.com General Discussion 2 07-06-2005 05:52 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.