Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #1

Buying Class A Insurance

It's that time of year again. My policy with Allied Insurance Company expires next month and they want a premium increase from $750 yearly to $1208. That is in spite of the fact that the policy has had zero claims and both my wife and I have a spotless driving record. Don't understand the reason for the major cost increase. I have been seeking quotes for the past several hours on-line and the best price I have found has been with Progressive at $800 yearly with $250,000-$500,000 liability and $500 deductible. The only place I haven't looked is at USAA and I will probably take a look there next as I am retired military. Do any of you folks have any experienced any good or bad things with Progressive Insurance Company? Looks like I fight this same battle every summer.

jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try AARP. Hartford Insurance.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #3

USAA uses Progressive for RV Insurance. Couldn't get a quote from them as I already had full-time RV Insurance through Progressive. Since I've not had any claims can't speak on how good/bad their coverage is. Do know that when I switched from Oregon to Georgia that the insurance went up about 400 bucks a year.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #4

Just got a quote from the Hartford for $828. It does not include Roadside Assistance, while Progressive does. Not sure that is an issue yet, because I have Good Sam roadside assistance coverage for a while longer.
jlabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:05 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We went to Allied from Good Sam's ins. Saved some $1,500 a year, but have had lots of trouble with them getting the coverage right from what I was quoted. Sent all the paperwork requested to Miller Ins, but then Allied said I didn't get the multi discount because I didn't switch my house to them. Problem with that was that I never said I was going to. No idea where that came from. Then I got a notice that they hadn't received a copy of my RV safe drivers class certificate, but I had sent a copy to Miller Ins months ago. Took me a couple weeks and numerous calls to get that straightened out. No idea about claims handling since it's only been since April when I changed to them.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Progressive was quoting me $2800 on my new to me rig..no accidents , claims or surcharges.... Sat down with lazy days and they quoted me $1200 same coverage except no agreed upon or tow as progressive....I believe it was national.. Also got a quote from safeco.. $1400.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #7

Most of cost depends on value of the coach. Mine has full replacement coverage for 10 years and the way prices have risen here in Canada not a bad deal.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlabit View Post
It's that time of year again. My policy with Allied Insurance Company expires next month and they want a premium increase from $750 yearly to $1208. That is in spite of the fact that the policy has had zero claims and both my wife and I have a spotless driving record. Don't understand the reason for the major cost increase. I have been seeking quotes for the past several hours on-line and the best price I have found has been with Progressive at $800 yearly with $250,000-$500,000 liability and $500 deductible. The only place I haven't looked is at USAA and I will probably take a look there next as I am retired military. Do any of you folks have any experienced any good or bad things with Progressive Insurance Company? Looks like I fight this same battle every summer.
I might have had them at one time or the other, but it's more about price than anything and they all can be made to pay up, if push comes to shove.
Last time around these musical chairs and these companies with their bait and switch tactics, we went with State Farm and have them at present, along with two cars.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #9

Don't know if this means anything since you folks are talking class A insurance.
I'm with GEICO , and currently insuring three vehicles including my new 2014
winnebago trend a class C for $ 1623. a year. ( $ 811. every six months)
I'm paying 223.40 each six months for the camping car.
Most likely "poor folks" insurance compared to the "high dollar" class A stuff, but it might be worth asking about :-)
Old 07-05-2015, 11:08 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Try AARP. Hartford Insurance.
I had AARP / Hartford on my 2 cars and 2 homes, and my Motor Home. When I got checking rates they were $285 higher than Good Sam or Progressive. I canceled the motor home insurance and went with Good Sam. I still carry AARP Hartford on my 2 Cars and the 2 Homes have had them over 20 years. But when it comes to RV insurance they are still not with it and have always been higher than Good Sam even with all of their discounts.
Mel
Old 07-05-2015, 11:17 PM   #11

Have you tried Foremost? We got a quote from Foremost via USAA and ended up going with them over Progressive.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm getting my Class A insurance for free. Let me explain.

For years I've used different carriers for my homewoners (Nationwide), my cars Progressive) and my Harleys (Geico). I shop each individually and go with the best price. When I bought my new to me Newmar in February, I called Geico, Progressive, and one or two RV specialty companies. Best price I got was a little less than $800.

When I called Nationwide with whom I have my homeowners insurance, the agent quoted me what to that point was the best price I had gotten yet. I think it was in the $750 range. Then we got to talking about bundling my car insurance as well. In the end, she saved me money on my car insurance, and with the discounts I received on my Homeowners for having the auto and RV with them as well, the MH insurance was actually a freebe. It was unbelievable. Then Nationwide actually sent me a refund check for the remaining 6 mos of homwowners for which I had now overpaid. Life is good! It really was quite amazing.

She couldn't do any good at all with the Harleys, so I still have them with Geico.

jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:27 PM   #13

I've used the Tobin Agency who specializes in RV and Boat Ins. I know they have a web site. When old ins went up they placed me with another co. that didn't cost me anymore. It should be noted that not all ins co's can write in every state. AAA can't write rv here in New Jersey but can do home and auto. Also make sure they know you're not a full timer or renting out your unit, that drives the price up.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #14

I have had Blue Sky "the RV insurance people" for the past 3 yrs. on our Winnebago Tour 40FD. Premium went from $1215/yr. to $2332 for absolutely no reason. When I call to correct the "mistake" I was told they raised everyone's rates due to lots of claims paid out. With that I said "have a nice day" and am now with Allied (same coverage) for $974/yr.

Tags
class a, insurance