Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2007, 06:24 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

After all of the friendly suggestions, I tried the truck stop thing again on our way to and then back from Las Vegas. We stopped at the Flying J truck stop in Lenwood, just south of Barstow California. There were three truck stops at this exit, but as suggested, I went straight to Flying J.

When we pulled in, we noticed that they had an RV island set apart from the automotive area. It looked very easy to get in and out of , and there were no vehicles using it, so I went for it. Very smooth transaction and easy to exit when we were done.

On the way back, we stopped again. This time the RV island was packed with about 3 RV's waiting for each of the two pumps, so I opted for the trucker fuel area. By the time I waited for the trucker ahead of me to finish, fueled up my RV, and waited for that same trucker that had pulled ahead to finish his grocery shopping so that I could pull up, the entire RV line had finished and cleared out. Getting out of the truckers area was also a challenge and there were no signs pointing to an exit. When I did find it, I also found that there was a line of trucks sitting waiting to exit. Not as bad of course as my first visit to a truck stop, but still very time consuming.

I think my philosophy will be that if there is plenty of maneuvering room at the RV island, I will use it. If the trucker fueling area is empty and the exit is easy to locate, I will consider it, but only if the RV area is packed or difficult to exit from. Thanks everyone for your informative and friendly help.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

I may be the odd guy here but I try to avoid the congestion of truck stops if I can. I will and have used them with no problem, generally. I will send the DW in to start the transaction if I can't initiated the fueling process with my CC at the pump (and there have been several Flying J's with that problem). Like you, if I'm stopping at a J, I check the RV island. If it's an easy access and not too busy, I fuel there so I can top off my FW tank or dump if I need to. If we've stayed overnite in a Walmart lot and they have a Murphy Oil on site, I've filled up there. We've also been able to locate larger convenience stores with truck diesel islands that are easy-in, easy-out. Finally, if I see a Kroger with a large fuel island with diesel, we use that and get our $.03 per gal discount with the Kroger value card. If I'm just bookin' down the interstate and need fuel, I do the truck stops.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
Mid Atlantic Campers
I avoid the Big Truck pumps due to the high volume pumps. My FL does not like the high volume from either side of the coach. I need to stand there and barely crack open the fuel nozzle, if I squeeze to much what a mess. I stick with the Flyin J RV Island, after all whats the big rush. Oh by the way, have you guys heard about the hook "J" heating up the fuel to gain volume?
Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #18
Administrator Emeritus

I've traveled all over the middle and eastern U.S. in the past year and used Flying J's as my first fuel choice...
What kills me about Flying J is the assinine way they designed the RV islands with little or no room to pull ahead and make the turn by the building.
Even with just the coach and the Hummer it's all but impossible to make that swing.

IRT to the difficulty with the high volume pumps, iRV2 member John Canfield devised a wooden "door stop looking" wedge that he slides into the space and as such can hold the pump at different levels....Pretty neat idea.

Lastly, at 13'2" tall I'm not able to use those Walmart or Kroger lots...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
Bob, look at this way if you did use Kroger or Wall-Mart then it would be open for others who might have a height of 13'2".

I agree about the design of the RV islsnds at Flying J- we are also the only ones not protected from the weather as are our brethern at either the auto. or truck fill-ups. Ken,'04 DSDP...
Ken Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
I use my Chase card and get 5%, plus my Flying J for 1 cent. Ahhh $3.00 equals $2.84. Every little bit.

I agree, the FJ RV islands are sometimes impossible to get out of. The worst has got to be Winslow AZ.
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:26 PM   #21
AS a 40 truck driver(and if Imay bragg with noaccidents in over 3 million miles)IF IN A HURRY go to smaller fuel stops.Also to make entry exit think(if you have a choice)use the one off of exit that requires a righr turn at end of ramp then left turn into fuel stop.In this way you will naver have to cross 2 lanes of traffic at the same time.
Rember that the next person you meet might be
your next best freind.
lrgrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #22
Please forgive me for forgettig to add,My wife as 40 year truckers wife learned that if you get diesel fuel on your clothes sprinkle carpet fresh on them before washing and add some to wash.It might work to keep some on entry rug and around driver area.
lrgrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #23
Indiana charges sales tax on gas and diesel, but exempts all truck fuel used outside IN. With todays fuel price, tax is closer to 12 cents. I live in IN and make sure I always have enough fuel to get home and exit IN before needing fuel. I also prefer Flying J but always use the RV island. Pump runs slower and easier to fill my tank and also can fill water tank and dump if necessary. I agree one should exit pump area as soon as done fueling. It is only good manners to do so.
allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 PM   #24
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
I avoid the Big Truck pumps due to the high volume pumps. My FL does not like the high volume from either side of the coach. I need to stand there and barely crack open the fuel nozzle, if I squeeze to much what a mess. I stick with the Flyin J RV Island, after all whats the big rush. Oh by the way, have you guys heard about the hook "J" heating up the fuel to gain volume? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Steve, I've seen posts about some coaches on FL chassis where the fuel vent tube is forgotten and left coiled on the top of the tank. This can cause the symptoms you describe. Mike
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #25
Newmar Owners Club
For the comment about J heating the fuel to somehow increase volume, it is an urban legend with no truth. I forgot the formula, but I do remember there is no way a fuel provider could do this. The fuel would need to be heated to a high enough temp, that the pump handle would be way too hot to handle. There would also be a considerable oder. Lastly there would be a cost to heating the fuel. This would take a big chuck out of any potential gain. The J has built a great reputation. Their big $s come from fuel contracts with the large trucking companies and the $s they make from providing drivers with the services they need. I sincerely doubt they would do anything (by design) to jepordize what they have built.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:06 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I'm with smlranger.....I've tried only four truck stops in 15000 miles. One is in Fresno at the Jensen exit and we pull in there at about 11:00 PM on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We get fueled up and spend the night at the Denny's next store on our way to Yosemite. It's always clear of trucks and easy to use.

I tried one in Blythe, Ca., St. George, Utah and one in Oregon. For some reason it seems that I always pull in right behind some old codger, without a clue, or an inconsiderate idiot. In Utah, the codger pulled perpendicular to the two islands with his 60' of Rv and then realized he couldn't turn into either island. After pissing everyone off he finally drove around the block and came back. I pulled in to find that the ice delivery truck parked right where the islands exited and no one could get around him.

The one in Blythe usually has people waiting in the street because the RV'ers refuse to pull up as room becomes available. I watched a guy in a Ford pick-up, fill his truck tank and then wrestle with filling his tank in the bed of the truck that would not accept a fast flow. When he finished he washed all the windows and then went inside for ten minutes. I'm never in a huge hurry, but I wanted to kill him!

I'm sorry, this issue makes me crazy. I read how everyone is always looking for the best truck stop for fuel. I fuel up at home and then I'm good for at least 600 miles. When I need fuel again, I look for a gas station with diesel. Even when I'm towing 27' of boat I can still manuever in gas stations.

I don't know why so many RV'ers are so determined to get their fuel at truck stops. The prices are almost always better at the smaller gas stations. Maybe most are just uncomfortable manuevering their rigs.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:38 AM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
I do hope you carry spare fuel filters with you along with a small container of diesel fuel. I used a small gas station that had diesel and wound up with a bad fuel load.

Using the truck stops insures that you are getting good clean fuel as the turn over rate is quite high. If you watch most of the trucks are taking on up to 300 gallons at a time. So now I only use the J, TA or Pilot for fuel. In a pinch I will use a gas station but won't fill all the way up, just enough to get me to a truck stop if I need get that low but most of the time I refuel when I get to the 1/2 way mark. It also gives me a chance to stretch my legs.

Renegade (Jim) & Wrangler (Doreen)
& 4 attack cats, TJ, Shadow, Chessie, RJ
along with 2 who adopted us, Tom & puddy.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #28
Mid Atlantic Campers
GaryKD, I don't wish to argue the point to far, but, I run a fuel dispensing facility for the City of Philadelphia. Two 10,000 gallon diesel tanks and one 10,000 gallon unleaded. We take deliveries directly from the refineries and terminals in and around the city. On each ticket is the quantity at a certain tempature, if the fuel is delivered a certain amount of degress below that temp the load will come up short, and my VEEDER ROUTE SYSTEM will reject the load, and recalabrate it for the tempature at which it was delivered. I believe the system temp is 78*, but, if you need me to I will check the manuals. The handles of the pump do not have to be hot to the touch to have the heat increase or decrease the load substantualy. Maybe Petro could ad to this thread since fuel oil is his business.

Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote