Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #1

Buying first coach

Hello! This is my first time here so forgive me if I make any mistakes in where or how I post.
My husband and I are likely buying the preowned coach we found on Saturday when we look at it again late tomorrow afternoon. I've done as much research as I can over the last few weeks but really haven't found much in the way of product reviews or what to look out for in relation to this particular coach.
It's a 2004 Cross Country 372 DS. Freightliner chassis/Cummins 300. The dealer appears reputable, assures us they go through and make sure everything is working, new tires where needed, re-seals the roof of every coach they get, and even pays for a night of camping where they will come go over everything about the coach with us.12 month Easy Care Total Care warrantee is included.
Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Or specifics about what we should look for in the way of red flags? Thank you in advance, and thank you for adding me to your group! I look forward to talking more in the future.
2ndChances is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 11:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious who the dealer is and if you have ever owned any type of RV in the past?

How many miles are on the RV and were you able to see the DOT code for the age of the tires?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. IMO Dealers are not always the best advisor to a potential buyer. So I would recommend that you: have an RVIA certified Tech check the house systems; a reliable certified diesel mechanic check the chassis, engine and systems; read this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/pre-p...ts-204665.html. Best of luck in your decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:05 AM   #4

I wouldn't believe anything a dealer or salesman tells you. All they want too do is make money. Have it inspected by someone who does this for a living...
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm curious who the dealer is and if you have ever owned any type of RV in the past?

How many miles are on the RV and were you able to see the DOT code for the age of the tires?
Thank you for all your responses. 67k. Best Preowned RV. My husband has owned a camper but this is a first motorhome for both of us. He knows his way around a motor pretty well, but obviously motorhomes are a bit more complicated than that.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post

Glad you're aboard. IMO Dealers are not always the best advisor to a potential buyer. So I would recommend that you: have an RVIA certified Tech check the house systems; a reliable certified diesel mechanic check the chassis, engine and systems; read this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/pre-p...ts-204665.html. Best of luck in your decision. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
I agree about dealers and salesmen of any kind. I've dealt with my fair share of those who attempt to take advantage of customers. This is a family run business that's been around for quite a few years, and we're working with one of the owners-this gives me a little more peace of mind. He's at least invested in their reputation. That being said, I would still feel better getting it inspected. Do you have any advice about how I would find these techs? Or would a Google search suffice? Thank you again.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:57 AM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndChances View Post
I agree about dealers and salesmen of any kind. I've dealt with my fair share of those who attempt to take advantage of customers. This is a family run business that's been around for quite a few years, and we're working with one of the owners-this gives me a little more peace of mind. He's at least invested in their reputation. That being said, I would still feel better getting it inspected. Do you have any advice about how I would find these techs? Or would a Google search suffice? Thank you again.
Not sure where you are located. That might help others to suggest some that they have experience with. You could do a google search, check on CraigsList, check on Angies list. Beyond that there may be some mentioned or methods of finding them in the thread I posted the link for. I don't remember for sure as it's been a while since I read through that thread. Hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:02 AM   #8

Also, we have not asked to see the DOT code, but we will! Thank you for that!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Not sure where you are located. That might help others to suggest some that they have experience with. You could do a google search, check on CraigsList, check on Angies list. Beyond that there may be some mentioned or methods of finding them in the thread I posted the link for. I don't remember for sure as it's been a while since I read through that thread. Hope that helps.
I apologize. We are near Charleston SC. And I will definitely read that thread-as soon as I find it! Haha
Old 10-27-2014, 01:06 AM   #10

Quote:
I apologize. We are near Charleston SC. And I will definitely read that thread-as soon as I find it! Haha
I say this because it didn't show up as a link on my phone. I tried to sign in on my laptop but it didn't seem to recognize my info yet. Working on it, though!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #11

Thank you all, for all your help. I will log on again in the morning to read any other responses and helpful tips (and find that link!), as it is way past my bedtime already. I am eager to get as much advice as possible, though! Wishing I had joined sooner but for some reason figured I needed to own a RV before joining. Feeling rather silly about that now. Goodnight and sweet dreams!
Old 10-27-2014, 01:14 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Here is the website for an inspection:

RV Inspection Connection | Professional RV Inspections All Across America!

Worth their weight in gold!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:18 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Thank you all, for all your help. I will log on again in the morning to read any other responses and helpful tips (and find that link!), as it is way past my bedtime already. I am eager to get as much advice as possible, though! Wishing I had joined sooner but for some reason figured I needed to own a RV before joining. Feeling rather silly about that now. Goodnight and sweet dreams!
Don't rush into the purchase until you feel comfortable. Ask the dealer to allow you time to have the inspections done. If the dealer balks it would raise a red flag for me and I would definitely consider walking away from the coach. JMHO

Here's the link again: I'll drop it a couple lines so it may work for you on other than your laptop.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/pre-p...ts-204665.html
Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Here is the website for an inspection:

RV Inspection Connection | Professional RV Inspections All Across America!

Worth their weight in gold!

Bruce
Thank you so much! I will definitely ask for this!