Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
And when all of the safety stuff mentioned above is complete...

A new stereo
TexasTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 05:02 PM   #16

If the tires are from 2007, you may want to consider replacing the shocks. Also check the bushings on the torsion bars. I would do this before the CHF as it made more of an improvement for my coach than the CHF itself. Probably a good idea to repack the front wheel bearings too.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #17

First thing i would change are the sheets.
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
If a safety inspection is required by your state before you can register the RV , then
tires and other mechanical things may have to be done, like tires. As mentioned, the roof is very important , if there has been leaks, repair this right away to stop or prevent damage. Camp on your driveway to test how everything functions and how to operate things.
Once it's safe to operate and a water tight roof, I would use it and drive it to see if
there are any other problems. Take a short trip or two. Then you may see what
the priority of things to do might be.
I was happy with most things in our RV, so it turned out removing the 100lb+ old
CRT TV and replacing it with a 32 "12lb. LED LCD TV was a first DIY project.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #19
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by agc23 View Post
Currently finalizing a deal on a Class A MH, this will be my first MH. Since I’m buying from a private party seller we decided to get a pre-purchase inspection as I’m new to RVs and prefer to have a professional look the unit over. I know the unit definitely needs tires (original tires from 2007 has cracks on the sidewall). What else should I consider changing due to age (mileage is pretty low), I was thinking of changing oil/fluids (engine oil, gen oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, etc.) and the batteries. I was also thinking of doing the CHF and adding a SafeTPlus steering shock.

Anything else I should consider changing, we’re planning a couple of short trips over the next couple of months before we head out west this summer.
Check belts and hoses carefully.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:04 PM   #20

Don't forget to replace or clean the air conditioning filters!
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:29 PM   #21

New Motorhome

I looks like you were given a lot of good advice. We did all the items listed that people advised and we are glad we spent the few extra bucks. All is good with no issues for a least 15 trips. So get out there and enjoy life
Drobinsonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 AM   #22

Some good advice here, but I didn't see where you posted the type of class A. Gas or diesel? What chassis? What year? Certain years had specific problems. Did you recieve ALL maintenance records? Need a little more info.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:08 AM   #23

A new mattress. Enjoy all your travels.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Kpjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I would look for a MH where I did not have to change anything right away.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Pile all your buddy's in the unit with the understanding that they are to listen for noises and go for a long ride with them taking notes. Do all the maintenance stuff and safety stuff first and then use it for a bunch of trips. You'll find lots of stuff after a few trips to spend your hard earned money on and, keep looking on this site your list will get even longer. lol
Old 03-18-2015, 06:51 AM   #26

What is CHF?
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
x2 new mattress!!
Andi
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #28

One big thing I think most folks miss is the serpentine belt. We have been conditioned to replace the tires every 7 years but no one replaces the serpentine belt or hoses, made of the same stuff. I replaced ours on our 2005 with 28,000 miles on her. You could read a newspaper through it. I had much rather change it in the driveway than along side I-35 in downtown Dallas at 5 pm in 105 degree weather! I have also seen several radiator hose failures on 10 year old coaches.
farmboy1938 is offline   Reply With Quote