Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratcliff View Post
So Gordon, where do you see me? Lol

I admit, it's an unfair question. This thread is primarily focused on the RV purchase, not covering healthcare, permanent residence, income contingencies, or the fact that all of our financial transactions are already location agnostic. It also doesn't cover my meticulous research and decision making process.

I truly appreciate all the wisdom of this forum.

Thanks,
Chris
You are wherever you want to be.

Dont know you but I see you as a success story.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratcliff View Post
SuperGewl, thanks for the feedback.

Tolls, good point, guess that's something I'll have to suck up. I decided on the tag for a few reasons, better ride/handling and the ability to carry more weight. Being new, I figured I'd have issues carrying too much crap and I want a coach that handles well.

Length, when we went in a few coaches, we learned quickly that <40' would not work. Once you're at 40' you're choices at national parks already become limited. Add the tag axle into the mix and we pretty much have to go with 43'. We have recognized this limitation.

I'm not that handy, but I can figure things out. Besides this forum will help. 😎 I have studied the differences in maintenance costs and have changed the oil and filters on oil field rigs many years ago.

Toad, 4 down is the way we are going. I studied the vehicles best for 4 down towing and we'll be going with a Wrangler or CRV.

Thanks,
Chris
Your idea of four wheel down towing is great. I have been doing that since 1993 and had no problems. Be careful on the CRV. The newer CRV has a different transmission and can NOT be towed 4 down. When you decide on a vehicle, call Remco. Remco makes lube pumps for vehicles that are not towable 4 down, so that you can tow them 4 down. There # is 1 800 228 2481. If Remco gives you a go ahead, you can depend on them.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #31

Chris,

We aren't full timers and probably never will be. We're on our 4th MH and we learned some things with each one. I personally don't think I could buy the right MH without having had a couple.

One thing I learned on the first, if it seems like a minor inconvenience at first glance, it will be a real PITA after a couple of weeks. I think that is a major issue. You can change an uncomfortable couch, recliner or mattress. You can even change appliances, toilets and faucets just like your house. But if there is an issue with the kitchen or bath layout it's not so easily changed and it will drive you crazy every day. I'm speaking for myself here, only you know your tolerance for inconvenience. This may not be a major thing for some people and I may be way off base here, but it's something to think about.

It is mostly the little things that really show up later. Heat in the water closet, kinda nice. Some really like a full king bed, not a huge deal to us. We have one, but a queen would have been fine.

We sat down and listed our must haves for our current coach and looked around til we found what fit the list.

Her wants were, lots of counter space and ample kitchen storage, a road side kitchen and big curb side windows and plenty of bdrm closet space.

I wanted 40' max., prefer 3 slides but 4 would work, good sized shower and a fairly large vanity counter, plenty of dressing area and ample interior storage.
I wanted large fresh, gray and black tanks. I also wanted plenty of CCC and basement room.

We were lucky enough to get everything we wanted.

I say sit in it on the lot and take a long hard look at everything. Tell the salesman to take hike and spend an hour or more in there if needed. Pull out the drawers, open the cupboards, get in the shower and move around and see if you fit ok. Sit on the toilet and make sure you have plenty of leg room and shoulder room. Try to figure out the shortcomings and how you'll deal with them or change them.

I know this is long winded, but this is what we did and it paid off.

Best of luck to you and I hope you have a great adventure.

Oh yeah, 4 down towing is the only way to go, at least for me.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #32

I say GO FOR IT... tomorrow is not a guarantee !!!

In the end... it's only money.. they print it every day.. and you can always earn more...

Just make sure you keep the rubber side down !
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
We are in the years of the best health we will be in. Every day we wait to do something is a day that is lost and cannot be made up.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We are in the years of the best health we will be in. Every day we wait to do something is a day that is lost and cannot be made up.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
I say GO FOR IT... tomorrow is not a guarantee !!!

In the end... it's only money.. they print it every day.. and you can always earn more...

Just make sure you keep the rubber side down !
as the Nike advertisement states "just Do It" you can always go back v.s. wishing you would have done it!
Old 12-23-2015, 06:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
as the Nike advertisement states "just Do It" you can always go back v.s. wishing you would have done it!
Awesome !!!

As I have matured and looked back over the years... I've learned REGRET is the most bitter of pills to swallow..

I choose NOT to go quietly into the night !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:30 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
When my daughter was in collage, I read in one of her books that most people did not regret the things they did. It was the things they wanted to do, but did no do that they regretted. GO FOR IT!!!