Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #1

Buying from a dealer who purchased at auction

Would like to hear some thoughts about purchasing a coach from a dealer who purchased from auction. I'm guessing many of the dealers purchase from auction without any service history. What is the general consensus about purchasing these units? In a perfect world I want a nice paper trail but I have seen some clean looking units available for deep discounts that are tempting from dealers who purchased at auction. Would you risk it with a good prepurchase inspection?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 11:06 AM   #2

Quite a while back, we acquired a 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor at a dealer only auction. Being that we got the MH for about $50K under book I was not too concerned about the condition. Besides the MH only had 5700 miles on it. As it turned out, we had no issues with the purchase. We were also to pick up the rest of the warranty from Holiday Rambler at a reasonable cost.
Guess that we got very lucky.

R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
You can always get a Carfax or the like to find out vehicle history regarding insurance, location and mileage history. The rest is based on the truth of the seller, dealer etc. Do research before buying, inspect all systems yourself or hire a professional. Most used cars and trucks are sold at auction and resold by dealers, perhaps so they have deniability about history and flaws. It's the responsibility of the buyer to do their homework.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Consider obtaining an aftermarket service warranty for the fist year as mitigation for unknown and latent major issues. After the first year and having history with the coach decide whether to continue or not.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Consider obtaining an aftermarket service warranty for the fist year as mitigation for unknown and latent major issues. After the first year and having history with the coach decide whether to continue or not.

Good suggestion.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Good suggestion.
Ok ran a carfax. The coach was repossessed and sold at auction. The other thing I noticed was there was only 1 service record and it was for an oil & filter change. Would that give anyone pause or would that not be a red flag since the oil may have been changed and not noted on the car fax?? All car fax categories passed and it appears it was a one owner coach.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:50 AM   #7

That's exactly how we bought our coach. Over the internet. The company ONLY sold online on EBay. They'd buy 5-6 mid-level coaches, bring them into the shop, replace/repair everything, service the units, and list them.
They had over 300 transactions with 100% satisfaction rating, so that took some of the risk out of the deal.

The coach had 12k miles on it, so I wasn't really concerned about maintenance at that point.
I picked it up in Az, drove 2400 miles back to Mass, called him up with 2 problems (4 wheel alignment and leaking right rear axle seal) and they paid for both, about $600...and we both agreed the transaction was complete.

Great experience.

Jim
Old 06-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
That's exactly how we bought our coach. Over the internet. The company ONLY sold online on EBay. They'd buy 5-6 mid-level coaches, bring them into the shop, replace/repair everything, service the units, and list them.
They had over 300 transactions with 100% satisfaction rating, so that took some of the risk out of the deal.

The coach had 12k miles on it, so I wasn't really concerned about maintenance at that point.
I picked it up in Az, drove 2400 miles back to Mass, called him up with 2 problems (4 wheel alignment and leaking right rear axle seal) and they paid for both, about $600...and we both agreed the transaction was complete.

Great experience.

Jim

This unit is an 05. It has 62K miles which seems a little on the high side or at least above average. I was concerned that only one service record showed up and that was for an oil change. And the unit was a repo so makes you wonder how it was serviced.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:54 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Ok ran a carfax. The coach was repossessed and sold at auction. The other thing I noticed was there was only 1 service record and it was for an oil & filter change. Would that give anyone pause or would that not be a red flag since the oil may have been changed and not noted on the car fax?? All car fax categories passed and it appears it was a one owner coach.
Don't place too much credence on what is and is not in a Carfax report. Carfax reports contain only the data collected from reporting sources and most repair shops don't spend the time and effort required to report on work they perform as that would represent a cost with zero payback for them.

During my recent MH shopping experience I acquired a Carfax service that provided reports on vehicles. For many, all that was included were the odd dealer service and vehicle registration entries. For the MH I finally purchased, the report indicated zero maintenance records yet I was able to review actual shop receipts that showed a thorough history of scheduled maintenance that was performed.

In my opinion, my Carfax purchase was a total waste of money and I would not recommend their service to anyone.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree, carfax marginally useful as it contains spotty info. However it could potentially reveal a red flag such as a major accident so I think still a part of the due diligence in buying a used coach.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #11

Thanks guys that helped clear things up.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 AM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Since Carfax and other reporting services mainly rely on registration and insurance records, they can't give a complete history. However they can reveal a vehicle stolen, mileage role back, salvage title, accident record, flood damaged, and many other things that can help you make a informed decision. I find the small cost of a check when making a vehicle purchase well worth it.

A repossessed vehicle needs a careful check that it wasn't neglected or things removed, but I'd do that on any vehicle I was considering to buy.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post

Great experience.

Jim

Who was the eBay seller? I might check into another unit if I find a good deal.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #14

Don't think it'd be much more of a gamble than buying from anyone else. Have met more dishonest people, dealer and private owners, when buying motorhomes than any other type of vehicle purchases I've made.

Tags
dealer, purchase