Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #1

Buying from Salvage Yards

Where are good RV salvage yards? Do they specialize in certain brands of RV so that you need to look for one that has your brand? Any other advice on how to deal with them? I need a replacement hubcap. I am assuming that buying a used one will be cheaper than buying new from a dealer or Ford.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2019, 07:35 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
RV Salvage and Surplus Outlets - used RV parts
Old 11-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #3

If your looking for one that was on Fords .I whould check ebay first. I put full set of stainless wheel simulators on my 2000 GMC 1ton from Monroe truck parts they were surprising great deal and quality for the price.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
If your looking for one that was on Fords .I whould check ebay first. I put full set of stainless wheel simulators on my 2000 GMC 1ton from Monroe truck parts they were surprising great deal and quality for the price.
What does that have to do with the OP's question? Nothing!
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #5

Looks like a fine answer to me. I couldn't find a rocker panel for my wife's car around here and got one off eBay. Turns out the seller was salvage yard on the other end of the country. Suited me, I'm already used to buying on eBay.
If I wanted a hubcab for MY Ford it would be the first place I'd check. Then after being shocked again by the new prices I'd go looking for salvage. Nearest yard to me that has parts I could use is two states away and I would expect buying and shipping to not be nearly as cut and dried as on eBay. I lean towards the easier solutions if possible. Doesn't hurt my feelings if it turns out a bit cheaper too.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #6

Do mean wheel simulators? If so what size wheel/stud count. Picture would be great
Tom
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoCoTom View Post
Do mean wheel simulators? If so what size wheel/stud count. Picture would be great
Tom

Here is a picture of the opposite wheel with the center hubcap in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hubcap.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	267348  
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

It is unlikely that an RV salvage yard will offer cheap parts. Unlike cars, there is not a near infinite supply of parts for every conceivable make & model. Their pricing is more akin to antiques - they may have the only example of a given part available anywhere and have no incentive to price it cheaply.

The good news is the part you are looking for is fairly common, used on most Ford motorhome chassis for numerous years, so maybe what I've said above doesn't apply as much.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 02:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajMahal View Post
What does that have to do with the OP's question? Nothing!
He's looking for a wheel simulator they sell them on eBay Monroe, jegs.summit you could get a pair of fronts nobody would probably notice if even one was slightly different front to back or if they walked around the front.
Anyway is it a snap on or do lug covers or pair of lug covers hold on what size wheel.
Here's full set rims and tires you could if they split a single SIM. off an RV .
https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/cgi...d/M11478/s1.pl
Old 11-19-2019, 08:35 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK, clarification requested. Is that an aluminum wheel and you are just missing the center cap between the lug nuts or is it a stainless steel cover on a steel (painted) wheel?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
OK never mind. Looked at the photo again. It's a stainless cover, and apparently you just need the center portion?
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #12

Here I think I found who made them but I only see similar in 16" I searched Dicor fastlineer 8 hole 8 lug so far . you can get sticker for center if find one close . They don't seem to have 8hole 8lug in 19.5 only 5 hole.....look here for 19.5 Dicor Corp wheel SIM.as well. IDK. Maybe they are dicor versa liner here are some leads I spent a lot of time already.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/searc...or+Set&Submit=

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132847726243
Old 11-19-2019, 11:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
That is a 8 lug 22.5 aluminum wheel, and you can find that center hub cap at any HD truck parts store, most truck stops, online! Buy a pair, as finding the exact one with that emblem may be a challenge! Take the one from the other side so you can try to match it up!
They don't stay on very good, just a friction fit, as you found out, so, depending how much you like the look, up to you to replace or just leave it off!
I have lost so many of them in my 35+ years of trucking, that I just left them off! And if you have wet hubs, you can keep a eye on the oil level at just a glance! Good Luck! Rail!
Old 11-20-2019, 06:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
I got mine from Verinck's. Search that. However, mine come with two different tab setups. The tabs are what holds the hubcap to the wheel. I have to make sure I get the right tab setup or the hubcap will not fit.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying