Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #15

Scott,
Just sent you a private massage on a coach for sale that you may find very interesting.
Greg

gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by compute42 View Post
Seems to me reading around on here (and we just bought our first MH this week) that %25 of MSRP for a new coach from a dealer is about right. (if they don't inflate the MSRP). Used its whatever. We were looking at used, and most people just want way to much for them and I don't have the patience to wait for them to realize in 2 months I was a serious buyer at a fair price. Used generally 20% of asking price is considered a fair offer. I wouldn't even take sellers seriously and bother to make an offer that want unrealistic amounts of money for a used MH.
compute42
Offers of "20% OF the asking price" of a used coach, and "25% OF" the MSRP" of a new coach, are, IMO, "low ball" and "unrealistic" offers!
However if you you meant "80% of asking" and "75% of MSRP", (20 and 25% OFF IS "about right").

BTW, if you managed to buy your used coach for 20-25% "OF" the asking price, I want you with me the next time I buy anything.

Mel
'96 Safari

Old 04-29-2014, 01:09 PM   #17

When you find a make/model/year you like, watch what they ACTUALLY sell for. I have even called dealers that had listings as sold and after some sweet talking figured out what they sold it for. Point is, if the private party listed the item at a fair price, 20% off is ridiculous. You will quickly get an eye for what a deal is.

When I bought my coach I was AMAZED at the variation in asking prices. From 90-140. For the "essentially" same unit. Some of those are padded, but many that were high priced private party units were underwater. The seller is just trying to get what they owe, which is not what it is worth, and that coach may never sell. You ignore those.

I ended up talking a few bucks off my private party purchase, but more like 4 or 5%, since the asking price was already fair.

Good luck and enjoy. Oh, and once you BUY, stop looking. No need to have remorse ;-)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just purchased a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD with 36kmi, 350 ISC, 3 slides, side radiator and is a top of line MH in excellent condition. The only thing it needs is serviced which I would have done anyway. Since I purchased from a private party with no sales tax in AZ or NV, I have saved myself over $5600 in on the $75k purchase price which will give me some tinkering money. NADA low retail was $79K. Like others have said, find the one you want and go after it. Use all the tools available. Good luck
Rich
Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #19

What's it worth to you? Compared to others you have seen and others you liked, what is this one worth to you in comparison? Is it something you really love and is just what you were looking for and thinking of? When you are in it, do you think and feel that "this is me. I could really like and live in this for many years to come."

If not, its not worth much. IF it is, get it for the best price you can and enjoy it for years. It isn't an investment, because it will lose its value considerably over the years. So simply try and get it for a price within your budget and that you feel good about in comparison to others you have seen that you liked and didn't like. And most of all in my opinion, accept the fact and have the money to spend another $5000 to $10,000 on it the first few months you own it to make everything "right" and fixing it up like you want. In other words, throw out the word "perfect" from your vocabulary when buying any MH. There is no such thing as "perfect" with a used or new MH.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:42 AM   #20

haha your correct 25% OFF MSRP... 25% OF MSRP would be one heck ova deal
Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
When you find a make/model/year you like, watch what they ACTUALLY sell for. I have even called dealers that had listings as sold and after some sweet talking figured out what they sold it for. Point is, if the private party listed the item at a fair price, 20% off is ridiculous. You will quickly get an eye for what a deal is.

When I bought my coach I was AMAZED at the variation in asking prices. From 90-140. For the "essentially" same unit. Some of those are padded, but many that were high priced private party units were underwater. The seller is just trying to get what they owe, which is not what it is worth, and that coach may never sell. You ignore those.

I ended up talking a few bucks off my private party purchase, but more like 4 or 5%, since the asking price was already fair.

Good luck and enjoy. Oh, and once you BUY, stop looking. No need to have remorse ;-)

Chris
X2

This is why much of the advice here seems too simplistic to me. I'm currently trying to sell my coach. NADA lists high retail at $134K... low retail at $111K ... and I understand that wholesale is about $95K. I'm starting at $119K.

BUT, I do see all of the ads out there from folks asking well over $150/160K... and I'm guessing it's because of what they owe and not what the rig is worth.

Just seems to me that coming up with a rule of thumb on a percentage off the asking price one should offer makes no sense because of this huge disparity in asking prices vs value.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #22

Hey Rick

I would agree will your assessment. Over the last 4-5 months of serious looking I have gotten a general idea of what the typical asking price is on a particular brand/model generally is. I think the selling price will depend on a few different variables:

Supply and demand. How sought after is the coach?
How much is owed?
How motivated is the seller? Not sure how hard it is to sell one of these things?
Other factors such as the price of fuel, the economy, etc.

I have found that patience can be your friend when making a purchase like this.

To be honest I am looking for a great coach at a great price. The better the deal the sooner I can retire. haha

Going to browse around and ask questions, look at floor plans, etc. at the big RV show going on at Qualcom stadium in San Diego this weekend.

Tags
offer