Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #1

Buying (how much to offer)

Just want to say hello. First post here after lurking for quite awhile. We are getting ready to buy our first Class A DP. Really like the Monaco/HR (Diplomat, Endeavoer,Windsor, Scepter) coaches. Looking at years 2004-2007. Looking at models that have 4 slides, 400hp, side mounted radiator, etc.

In general most of the coaches we are interested in are in the $100K-$130K price range. It appears that the asking price differs quite a bit from what the coach is actually selling for. I know bargaining is most always built into the asking price on anything automotive.

I am looking for a good deal but don't want to be insulting. Any suggestions on what would be an appropriate starting offer on coaches in excellent condition in this price range? I realize this is a very subjective matter. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
css899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #2

I always start with: "what do you realistically have to get for this"? It surprises me sometimes what the answer is, every now & then they state less than I was going to offer...

Once you have their 'realistic' price, you can negotiate from there...
Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Age old question.

Generally the 3 levels of overhead from high to low on price are; dealer, consignment sale, and private party sale.

They all want the most money they can get and it is up to the buyer to reduce the price.
NADA can give you a starting point, but only offers retail new and average and low retail used estimates.
Motorhomes Price, Motorhomes Value & Motorhomes Trade In | NADAguides | Motorhomes Price Specs

Best luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by css899 View Post
Just want to say hello. First post here after lurking for quite awhile. We are getting ready to buy our first Class A DP. Really like the Monaco/HR (Diplomat, Endeavoer,Windsor, Scepter) coaches. Looking at years 2004-2007. Looking at models that have 4 slides, 400hp, side mounted radiator, etc.

In general most of the coaches we are interested in are in the $100K-$130K price range. It appears that the asking price differs quite a bit from what the coach is actually selling for. I know bargaining is most always built into the asking price on anything automotive.

I am looking for a good deal but don't want to be insulting. Any suggestions on what would be an appropriate starting offer on coaches in excellent condition in this price range? I realize this is a very subjective matter. All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Scott
I wouldn't get too concerned about insulting a seller-especially a dealer. Are you going to have to replace the tires right away? Remember that most RV tires "age out" before the tread wears out. You could be looking a a few thousand dollars for tires before you can safely drive away. Look at the maintenance records. If they don't exist, walk. There are plenty of coaches out there to choose from. Don't worry about one "getting away".
Old 04-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #5

Make an offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
I wouldn't get too concerned about insulting a seller-especially a dealer. Are you going to have to replace the tires right away? Remember that most RV tires "age out" before the tread wears out. You could be looking a a few thousand dollars for tires before you can safely drive away. Look at the maintenance records. If they don't exist, walk. There are plenty of coaches out there to choose from. Don't worry about one "getting away".
Well said, no history to the coach then that scars me even more then buying 3500 in tires, LOL... I must have looked at 45 coaches in two months and made and offer to a private seller after getting under all the cabinets and looking for two days at her. Look Look and Look again at the coach and know what to look for and good luck, low offer and come up just a bit. Dealers have lots of room to work with, private sellers may but its up to them on how badly they want to sell.
ImperialRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:55 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi css899,
Welcome to iRV2. Three things to look for are:
1. floor plan
2. will the coach carry all your stuff and your people? (CCC)
3. Will the coach tow what you want to tow? (GCWR minus GVWR and the receiver rating).

After these items are okay, one can do what has been previously posted. If big ticket items need replacing (like tires, batteries, etc.) negotiate a reduced price and you make the replacement purchases. Double check that all appliances work. Check the roof seams and the interior ceiling for signs of water intrusion.

Good luck,
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If dealing with a private party directly or via consignment, they may be upside down and owe more than the coach is worth. Ask if they own it clear and if not what is owed yet. If upside down it can complicate things because they don't want to, or cannot, add any cash of their own. If they don't have the cash one way to help them is to move some value to a credit card. For example, they owe $3k more than it's worth. You pay that amount and they put a new set of tires on the coach (paid on their credit card).
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The approach we used to negotiate the price on our new 40DP should work well in your case too.

Once you have targeted a specific year, make, model.... just Google it and you'll probably get a lot of hits on others very much like it for sale. I think your best bet will be to look at dealers like PPL who seem to have very aggressive prices on their used/consignment coaches. Print out those whose price supports your offer and share them with the seller.

BTW, if someone asked me what I owed on my coach I think I would suggest that it was none of their business. If it's an obstacle to the sale and I wanted help from the buyer that would be a different story, but....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck and have fun
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
The approach we used to negotiate the price on our new 40DP should work well in your case too.

Once you have targeted a specific year, make, model.... just Google it and you'll probably get a lot of hits on others very much like it for sale. I think your best bet will be to look at dealers like PPL who seem to have very aggressive prices on their used/consignment coaches. Print out those whose price supports your offer and share them with the seller.

BTW, if someone asked me what I owed on my coach I think I would suggest that it was none of their business. If it's an obstacle to the sale and I wanted help from the buyer that would be a different story, but....

Rick
Some would I agree, however in my several experiences I have found people will often tell you. On the occasion they did not want to share the info, no big deal. If you buy you may be making two payments - one to the lien holder and one to the seller.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I like RickO's method. In addition, I invested in NADA's hard copy of RV values...the same one the dealers use to determine wholesale levels. Best $110 I ever spent. That rascal came in handy instantly when we saw something we liked and to confirm/eliminate any attempted dealer price exaggerations.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by css899 View Post

Thanks
Scott

Scott
Always offer less than you are willing to pay.... the salesman/owner may only bump that figure up to one you are okay with.

Why do you care if your offer is insulting, salesman/owners don't care how you feel when they quote an outrageously high price, (or paste it on the windshield).

BTW this is RV negotiating/buying we're talking about, not a popularity contest... (if you want to be really popular ... pay the asking price).

Good luck.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:12 PM   #13

Thanks for all the good advise. I prefer to buy from a private party but am not opposed to buying from a reputable dealer. My thoughts are to start by offering approx. 30%-40% below asking price and see how it goes from there. I can always raise my offer for the right coach. Been married for 32 years so I am used to hearing the word NO. haha

Thanks
Scott
css899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:47 PM   #14

Seems to me reading around on here (and we just bought our first MH this week) that %25 of MSRP for a new coach from a dealer is about right. (if they don't inflate the MSRP). Used its whatever. We were looking at used, and most people just want way to much for them and I don't have the patience to wait for them to realize in 2 months I was a serious buyer at a fair price. Used generally 20% of asking price is considered a fair offer. I wouldn't even take sellers seriously and bother to make an offer that want unrealistic amounts of money for a used MH.
compute42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer