Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Thats even better. No worries about the electronic filing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #16

Can Canadian's register and plate in a US state

If my MH is in the US almost half the year anyways (AZ for winter) I'm wondering if instead of importing a MH into Canada to register and plate could a Canadian just register the MH in the State they go for the winter (i.e. Arizona). Or would a Canadian have a problem crossing the boarder in their owned MH registered and plated in the US?

Old 09-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
That would be a question for your Provincial Motor Vehicle authority and insurance company. You may also have issues with CBSA as Customs Act does not allow for Canadian to possess/operate vehicles not imported.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I know a number of Canadians who have purchased a car in the US and registered it there. They also have physical property they own in the state they registered the car in. I do not know if they have tried to bring it back to visit their Canadian address. However since they own the car and it is legally registered I believe they should be able to drive it where ever they want to.

Several friends have bought 5er and TT in the US and registered them there. Only one of them brought the trailer home. I can not recall if they threw an CDN plate on, used the US plate or purchased a transit permit. They did get it home without issue. They have recently purchased a boat and brought that home. I would ask but they just purchased a MH and are out and about enjoying it.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
TAN

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have imported a car and two motorcycles. Yes I saved on each vehicle. The proses is very simple. As I live in Alberta I only paid the 5% GST.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedask View Post
If my MH is in the US almost half the year anyways (AZ for winter) I'm wondering if instead of importing a MH into Canada to register and plate could a Canadian just register the MH in the State they go for the winter (i.e. Arizona). Or would a Canadian have a problem crossing the boarder in their owned MH registered and plated in the US?
Welcome to iRV2.
A Canadian , driving a US plated vehicle into Canada from the US, Is not allowed here in BC and I'm sure the rule is nation wide. Friends who rented a vehicle in Vermont and tried to drive to Nova Scotia , were turned back at the border, had to return to the agency, and exchange for a Canadian registered unit; luckily there was one available.
I drove on a Montana, permit into Canada , after getting a 30 day policy from my agent by faxing the info ahead. The insurance paperwork was one of the first things they asked for at the border.
When I purchased in Montana, the dealer pushed hard for me to set up a LLC there, I guess he got kick backs from the lawyers involved, a call to my insurance agent confirmed, the RV would have to remain in the US , until registered in Canada.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #21

One way around it is to have a US citizen drive it across for you with a notarized permission slip. They can say they borrowed it and are on vacation. That's how the guy I meet did it. He couldn't keep it there but could get it in the country for a few weeks at a time. I thought it was a wrong until he told me what his tax would be.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:43 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
So many variables, I looked into it but decided on both the coaches we purchased, that it was important to me to have the factory "CSA" option checked off on the order sheet. I understand that I bought new and you are referring to used. If you consider all the time and add the element of uncertainty over some subjective points it would have to be more than a %6.5 saving.....at least for me. Keep in mind also that if you trade in the coach in Canada, the dealer will offer you less if you personally imported the Motor Home vs if it was manufactured for the Canadian market. This was one of the first questions I was asked when we were looking to trade up on ours anyways. The option for CSA was $1100 on ours. Not sure all what the do, but I did notice some difference in the appliances between ours and a US vehicle, as well as some stickers on some wiring harnesses.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgill View Post
So many variables, I looked into it but decided on both the coaches we purchased, that it was important to me to have the factory "CSA" option checked off on the order sheet. I understand that I bought new and you are referring to used. If you consider all the time and add the element of uncertainty over some subjective points it would have to be more than a %6.5 saving.....at least for me. Keep in mind also that if you trade in the coach in Canada, the dealer will offer you less if you personally imported the Motor Home vs if it was manufactured for the Canadian market. This was one of the first questions I was asked when we were looking to trade up on ours anyways. The option for CSA was $1100 on ours. Not sure all what the do, but I did notice some difference in the appliances between ours and a US vehicle, as well as some stickers on some wiring harnesses.
We purchased our coach in the US and had our coach built to CSA standards. (Saved enough to drive 50,000 miles.) Were not allowed the speedcook microwave and the CSA option was 378. We have the CSA sticker on the coach.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedask View Post
If you are driving it, you can enter Canada by importing the vehicle and paying the taxes. Otherwise, you cannot bring it into Canada. It is that simple.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #25

If the motorhome has the RVIA sticker on it , this is all that is required regarding electrical, plumbing, LP gas compliance in Canada. The Canadian Tire that did the RIV check on ours did look to see the RVIA sticker on ours. (Next to the door handle)
As mentioned above, a CSA sticker may be required if trading the RV to a Canadian RV dealer, but not if selling privately.
GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
We purchased our coach in the US and had our coach built to CSA standards. (Saved enough to drive 50,000 miles.) Were not allowed the speedcook microwave and the CSA option was 378. We have the CSA sticker on the coach.
Thats the way to do it, I just happened to have a dealer that wanted to make it happen just before winter kicked in. Everyone pays the same price so I've heard, just how much will the dealer take for profit.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #27

Thanks for all of the replies.

I'm familiar with importing and registering into Ontario Canada as I have successfully imported two vehicles already.

My main purpose was to not have to register in Ontario with a 13% tax rate and use the MH in AZ for the winter before I drive it back to Ontario Canada for the summer.

Thinking I might be able to buy in AZ and get a 90 day permit to keep it there for most of the winter and drive back to Canada where it looks like i need to register it.

I'm also looking locally to see if I can get a deal locally that would be equivalent but there seems to be so much more choice in the US market.

Thanks again - this is a great forum with tons on info for newbies like me trying to get into the MH experience.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgill View Post
Thats the way to do it, I just happened to have a dealer that wanted to make it happen just before winter kicked in. Everyone pays the same price so I've heard, just how much will the dealer take for profit.

Yup - I had a US price and I told the CDN salesman exactly what we would be paying in CDN dollars. I told him if could come close we would go with him. The first thing out of his mouth was to diss the US dealer (I did not tell him who the US dealer was). I checked and found the US dealer had been in business longer, had higher volume, and lower BBB complaints.

With that attitude it was not hard to make a decision.