Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #1

My wife and I are getting close to buying a new motorhome.We have narrowed the choises down to a select few.It will be a alfa seeya or a winnebago tour or winnebago adventurer.I am up in the air on gas or diesel. At the present we own a 1992 friendship 38ft.diesel. Before the friendship we owned a 1992 pace arrow gas. We liked the apointments in the pace , but we like the ride of the friendship. Does anyone have any thoughts on the ride difference of new gas or diesels? I see the cost of gas m/h's is almost as much as diesels now. P.S. we will be fulltiming as of next summer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #2

My wife and I are getting close to buying a new motorhome.We have narrowed the choises down to a select few.It will be a alfa seeya or a winnebago tour or winnebago adventurer.I am up in the air on gas or diesel. At the present we own a 1992 friendship 38ft.diesel. Before the friendship we owned a 1992 pace arrow gas. We liked the apointments in the pace , but we like the ride of the friendship. Does anyone have any thoughts on the ride difference of new gas or diesels? I see the cost of gas m/h's is almost as much as diesels now. P.S. we will be fulltiming as of next summer.

Old 09-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #3

Personally, if it were me, I would be going diesel if we were to be fulltiming. If you haven't already, test drive them all.
As for the makes. Again, personally, I like the Winnebagos. I am not an Alfa fan. As for the Adventurer versus Tour, Adventurer is the top end Winne gas versus the Tour is what I consider a mid Winne diesel. So I woudl think there would not be much different regarding the quality of interiors. I have test driven a 36ft Tour and really liked the ride better than the gas coach. But, as much as I would liked to have a diesel, money was the deciding factor and that extra $50K for the diesel made a difference on many levels.
Ultimately, you have to factor in budget, plusses and minuses of each coach on paper and take the one that has the most of what you are looking for. Good luck
RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #4

I would vote for the Tour out of those choices.
CWHTRAINS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We looked at Alfas and liked some of their features, but I've heard way too many problems from owners with Alfa rigs to be comfortable buying one. If you will be staying for long periods in one place (more than a month), the gas Adventurer might work better for you ...a gas rig tolerates long periods of sitting better than a diesel rig does. If you will be staying a month or less most places, you might like a diesel better. The diesel will have a better ride, and will be quieter in the "cab" area when driving. Another consideration is how long a MH you want/need. When we were shopping for ours, we decided we needed 39 or 40', and we went with a diesel because of the low carrying capacity of longer gas rigs at that time. Now, the heavier Workhorse chass makes larger gas units possible. All things considered, we are very glad now that we went with a diesel.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #6

My wife and I fulltimed for almost 3 years in a new 03 Bounder 36ft. w/8.1 engine. Last year we bought a home and downsized the Mh. If we were going to Fulltime for any longer period of time it would definitely be a Diesel and for no other reason than carrying capacity....We about wore out the bounder in 2 and half years...even the dash was falling down, tires were going bad....alot of things were falling apart...So if you are going to fulltime Go with a diesel.
I know that many fulltime in gas mhs., I'm just telling you my experiences....Good Luck on your choice....
Bill

03 Minnie E450 V10
trvlrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:02 AM   #7

We are fulltiming in our Adventurer. It's the 38T model which is what sold us in the end because the layout just make a lot of sense living it in. Driving the gasser has been good overall however I am sure going diesel would provide a better ride.

If we were roaming North America, the diesel would sure come in handy. We have inquired about moving up to the Tour 38TD, very nice coach and with the 400 Cummins, you can't go wrong. If money is not the issue go with the Tour as most of the interior finishing is the same between the two models. The differences you get with the Tour: more torque, stronger frame, better ride, can pull a heavier toad. These are worth if you're on the road fulltime.

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:06 AM   #8

One other thing I would add. If I were considering the Tour, I would look at the Newmar Dutch Star as well. Newmar makes a great product. Not trying to steer you away from Winnebago as they are nice coaches, just trying to provide a possible alternative.

Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #9

Thank you everyone for your responce. The more input i can get will help me on my final pick. We are going to try to travel about 4 months a year and spend the winter in the warm part of the country. Not in Ohio where we live now.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 AM   #10

My opinion is based on my ability to afford the coach. We are selling our current older gas rig since we bought a newer DP. Our decision was that although the gas rig was in great shape mechanically and not too bad physically either, the money spent for a '98-01 gas coach was close to a similar year diesel.

We looked at everything out there on the market (over the internet) in our price range and even looked at some private party sales and dealers. We settled on the Gulfstream that you see in my avatar primarily due to cost but also layout. There were a few other coaches that were slightly more money and were a bit nicer but it would top out our payments (we were doing a bit of consolidating). This may not be of concern to you.

Another factor was that we wanted something that had the HP and torque, HD chassis and air suspension and that would (should?) last several years or until we could afford to trade up. I recognize that all vehicles require regular maintenance and diesels are no exception. I can handle almost anything mechanically so the challenge isn't that great.

I know that diesel rig mechanical parts are more expensive (I found this out recently... ) but they should also last longer (with reg. maintenance) since they tend to be very HD.

I was also specific about the engine/trans combo I wanted so that was also a factor. FWIW, I have seen some similar Newmar Dutch Stars and they are very nice, well built coaches, as are some of the Monacos.

For me, I am happy with our purchase. Some of the maintenance items I will be taking care of shortly are so that I don't have to worry about them in the future. Most people just drive them and trade them in if they have too many problems or want to trade up to something nicer.

There are a lot of used choices out there but if you are going used, you need to really look over the coach and the forums to see what to expect. I didn't find these forums till afterwards but I am catching up quickly with my own personal knowledge base. Hope this jibberish helps. In the future, I would drive everything before I bought it to make sure it was what was being advertised. I would try every appliance/feature out no matter how much time it took and I will NEVER trust what a person/salesman tells me until I can put my hands/eyes on it and verify it for myself.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:10 AM   #11

AS Ken has said Try "EVERY" door, window, blind appliance, switch, tap, connection, etc etc and then a good long test drive, on narrow, wide winding and hilly roads and do not take anyones opinion until it is verified.
There are some good PDI forms on this site.
Good Luck Rick
Old 09-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Any air suspension diesel pusher will ride better than the gas chassis Adventurer with its spring suspension and solid front axle. And while the gas chassis is entire adequate in performance, you will like the diesel better. The rear engine configuration is also quieter. And the diesel will have more carrying capacity and a greater GCWR (towing capacity) too. So if the price difference is within your means, I would vote for the diesel.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #13

Of the motor homes you picked, I would also vote for the Winnebago Tour.

Our beautiful little dog Bear
jjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:54 AM   #14

The Adventurer 38T and it's Itasca equivalent are on sale right now for $133,000 and you may be able to bargain them down to $125,000 while the Tour is $270,000 which you might be able to bargain down to $230,000. So is the diesel worth the extra $95,000 to you?

Personally my wife and I looked at those models and found the Adventurer/Suncruser 38T more to our liking then the Tour 40TD or 40WD. We normaly travel with multiple guests and entertain so the private bath/shower, kitchen and riding positions are all a major consideration for us. On the Tours we found the access to the closet in the bedroom too difficult with squeezing between the bed and closet while balancing on the engine cover. I walk with a cane and there are enough tripping hazards out there already that I would not want to add another one.

Ride and engine noise. The ride is better on the diesel and the engine noise is different. You will need to test drive both coaches yourself and see if the difference is worth the $95,000. The newer gas chassis ride better than those put out 3 to 5 years ago but only you can tell if they will suite you. On my 2001 Adventurer a $50 doghouse insulation kit has made a world of difference, so much so that I do find diesel rumble and shudder at moderate speeds more of an irritation then driving my current coach. At this point we have not seen anything that really tempts us to change but do have fun looking.

Depending on where you live your current driver license may not be adequate for the weight class of the newer diesel coaches. The new Tours all have a GVWR of 32,350lbs and a GCWR of 42,350lbs while the Adventurer 38T has a GVWR of 24,000lbs and a GCWR of 30,000lbs. Some/many states have or seem to be trying to put around a 26,000lbs GVWR limit on RV's before requiring a special license so that could become a consideration also.