Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #29

That looks like a pretty nice unit. I wish you many miles of happiness with it.

dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have to chime in on your thread, Chase, as my wife and I were in your position last year. We are in our 30's, with two kids under 3. We went to a big dealership which specializes in units with Salvage titles and bought a '97 35' Bounder, no tag axle. We bought it as we felt that we might like RVing with our kids, and if we didn't we could sell it for at least what we put into it ($12k). We learned a lot in the one year and 5,500 miles that we traveled.

The first thing we learned is that we wanted more room - ours had no slide, and inadequate sleeping arrangements for our kiddos.

The second thing we learned is that driving the stock '97 F53 is NOT fun at highway speeds. It is simply a dog. A blind, drunk dog with 3-ish legs. I would set my cruise at 55mph and only take it off when we encountered hills, bridges, slight headwinds, a squished bug on the windshield, etc. (read: all the time!). For me, a Banks system wouldn't be necessary, but new shocks, bushings, and a steering stabilizer would be. All those items would have corrected the side-to-side swaying and tail-wagging that the overloaded chassis is known for. Once we arrived at our destination however, the memories of driving quickly faded half-way through the first beer!

I'm a very handy individual and did maintenance myself, with the exception of oil changes, as Walmart will do full synthetic change for $49. I didn't do any of the mentioned suspension modifications because we sold the Bounder last month and bought a gorgeous 40' diesel pusher. We love RVing with our kids so much that we decided to buy something for the future, that we can use to travel wherever we want, whenever we want, at whatever speed (within reason!) we want.

Point being, be prepared to tackle small projects like suspension bushings, shocks, general maintenance, etc. To me, spending a grand plus to get 20 additional HP out of a Banks system provides no realizable benefit. Will you be able to go up that steep hill at 43mph instead of 40? Sure. Is that worth $1k? If you have money to blow, maybe so. As for the tranny, it is Ford's E4OD. It's basically bulletproof as long as you maintain it properly. Do a full flush and replace with full synthetic before you go anywhere far and you'll be good for another 25k miles.

I would say jump in. If you make a mistake, it won't be that costly. Most importantly, GO CAMPING!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #31

Dlaughlin. Absolutely great advise. I do think that we are getting it.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #32

No matter what year or model they are all money pits
Old 05-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #33

I've gotten the guy to bring it to my house for a couple of days while we check everything. He is highly trusting. But he knows where I live and where I work. Lol some people have talked about some kind of steering stabilizers? Are they needed are they worth it? I found the kit from reflex for 130. And trutrac for 451. What's people's thoughts?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #34

They will help with the constant steering and feedback feel, but I would drive without it first. Get the feel for the MH and see where improvement can be made.... do a search for "cheap handling fix"... its free.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #35
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasecoffey View Post
Lol some people have talked about some kind of steering stabilizers? Are they needed are they worth it? I found the kit from reflex for 130. And trutrac for 451. What's people's thoughts?
No matter what you get think about finding out what's wrong with it if anything then look at what might make it better for you before you start throwing improvement money at it.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree that you should "learn" the coach before making modifications. You may find the tag axle prevents the poor handling characteristics. That said, I would start with these http://m.ebay.com/itm/271260637791?_....c100107.m2460 as your bushings were inadequate from factory and are likely all but disappeared. They have rave review across many forums.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome to the forum. Good starter coach. My take is Headers, Firestone Ride Rite air springs and a Trans reprogram. The 460 runs lean in the right rear cylinders. Hence the cracked manifold and is hard on spark plugs there too. That engine runs hot could use a bit more fuel. You'll figure it out Chance. Have fun.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #38

We have a 96 Bounder on same chassis with a tag axle . We bought it last October , drove it from STL to Tulsa for thanksgiving weekend . I think it handles great . It drives very smoothly & I don't get pushed around by wind. It was a turd on hills, even small hills. I had headers & a free flo muffler installed . Not cheap, but made a nice improvement .
Old 05-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #39

My 2 cents. That 460 is a great motor. And is my choice for gasser of that vintage.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #40

So yesterday it got here and I started running through all the systems. After cleaning years of dirt dobber nests old of the furnace and hot water heater. Fixing a small lp leak. Had to figure old the magic combination on the water valves for city water etc. So I'm down to a couple small problems. I can't get the water pump to come on. I can't even get the panel to light up. I can't get cold water in the kitchen. Only the the kitchen. And the onan will run perfect for a few minutes and then die. It will start right up again. But dies a couple minutes later. Any thoughts on the problems?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:48 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasecoffey View Post
So yesterday it got here and I started running through all the systems. After cleaning years of dirt dobber nests old of the furnace and hot water heater. Fixing a small lp leak. Had to figure old the magic combination on the water valves for city water etc. So I'm down to a couple small problems. I can't get the water pump to come on. I can't even get the panel to light up. I can't get cold water in the kitchen. Only the the kitchen. And the onan will run perfect for a few minutes and then die. It will start right up again. But dies a couple minutes later. Any thoughts on the problems?
In regard to the generator, when I got my '97 aerbus with a generac generator, it did a similar thing. First, make sure there is gas in the main tank as if it is below 1/4 of a tank, the generator will not keep running as it is programmed to not draw the gas out of the main tank when low. In my case, I changed the oil, filter and installed a new fuel filter, along with air cleaner, and it now starts and runs perfectly.
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 PM   #42

Buying our first motorhome

The genset isn't programmed to not run below 1/4 tank, it simply runs out of fuel. The fuel line tube doesn't feed from the bottom. The tube is about 2/3 rds the way into the tank so when it draws down to that level, it sucks air.

You do not want to run it out of fuel if you can help it.

Also the 460 problematic 460 chassis also has a problematic fuel pump that fails. It's in the fuel tank. If it hasn't been replaced, it will fail. Backfiring, running poor or stops completely.

Tags
motorhome