Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Buying out of the U.S. and confused.

Hello all, I have been doing research on bringing a coach in from out of the country (Canada) but not having to much luck. I'm hoping some of you can point me in the right direction or at worst let me know to find something in the U.S.. I am looking at a coach that was originally bought in California then taken to Canada where it was registered and currently still is. The owner is willing to deliver to the U.S. if I want. I was thinking I would since it will cut down on my travel time and possibly make it easier on me not having to mess with crossing the border. Do any of you have any experience with this? I would assume since the coach was bought in the U.S. (California) I should have no issues registering it there again. Any advice be it positive or negative is very welcome.
Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
California has tightened up it's emission requirements over the years. What may have been legal some years ago might not be today and, since it's being imported back it might not be "grandfathered" in.
You need to get the info from the seller and check with CA.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:21 PM   #3

I didn't see if it's as gas or diesel. In Calif you MUST make sure it has a 50 state compliance sticker on the engine. Many a poster has been foiled at DMV by not having the sticker and it seems getting one from the engine manufacture isn't easy. It doesn't matter that Calif doesn't require smog tests on larger DP's, they still want to see the sticker. If is a gasser, then it will need a smog test. Your best bet is to call the DMV and get the correct, mostly correct info.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased the rig in my signature two years ago but it was built in the USA for sale in Canada. The seller (Canadian) had to import it back to the States. I think it costs about $1000 for that and a letter will be needed from the manufacturer stating all smog and safety requirements for the USA were met for the year of mfg. Your case is a little different though. I agree that you need to contact your DMV. You may be able to find more info on CA DMV website. My only problem is the dash gauges (Metric) LOL
Rich
Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sounds like you are better off finding one in the US. FYI, don't assume anything!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #6

Hi guys i' m from Quebec, Canada and if i were you i would take a look north of the border for somebody looking for a used coach. First, money exchange give you a huge economy cost, secondly, all coach are made in USA so no problem with the legistration and legal rules. Third, prices here are lower (in canadian money) then USA prices for the same coach.
For exemple a $30,000 usa coach cost you $20,000 for the same one here in canadian money with today exchange that means your coach will cost you about $14,000 us found, huge economy. I can help you find the one you love, just post me.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

If original sold in ca and not modified you should be good.

Get the VIN and contact ca dmv.

Be CERTIAN to get good documentation in hand if all good meaning clear instructions etc so no issues when registering
Old 02-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Importing RV from Canada to US
http://www.rvt.com/import-rv-to-usa.php?gclid=CKjf5JfC6coCFQkxaQodgLoIDA
Old 02-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #9

Greetings Emac,

Most of the information you've received here is correct, I'll add one additional fact. I recently purchased a 2015 Tuscany 44MT in Arizona, I live in California. I purchased there because they were the closest dealer that had the floor plan I was looking for. The dealer assured me that I would have no problem registering my DP in California. Well, he was wrong! I took the vehicle to Cal. DMV and the first thing they looked for was the emissions sticker on the body (or engine) The sticker was affixed to the back near the radiator, and the sticker DID say that the vehicle meets US (50 states) emissions standards. However, the DMV informed me that the sticker MUST say in addition to meets US standards, "Meets CALIFORNIA Emissions Standards". Well, my sticker did not say that and they would NOT register the vehicle. After about 5 weeks of dealing with my dealer, Thor, Frightliner and finally Cummings, I was assured that the vehicle DID in fact meet California regulations, it was an oversight by someone in 'that" loop to affix the sticker to my coach. I had to go to my local Cummings dealer and after checking my engine serial number they ordered me a new sticker at a cost of $257.00. It took about a week to arrive and I had to go back to the Cummings shop and they put the sticker on the engine valve cover. Took it back to DMV and it was accepted. So, before you buy an out of state vehicle (for California registration) get the engine serial number, call Cummings (or whom ever made the engine) and make sure it is CALIFORNIA compliant not just US or Federal, big difference, this will save you tons of time and heartache. ... I've attached a copy of the sticker.

Randell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4155.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	118622  
Old 02-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
All, thank you for all of the insight. The coach is a DP and I will be calling cat tomorrow to get all info on the motor. I have contacted dmv (waste of time that was) all they could say is to make sure I have all documentation including a smog certificate. I thought I had read that anything with a gvwr of 14000 lbs or more was exempt from having it smogged but I do know it needs to have the 50 state compliant and the ca. emissions sticker. If it becomes to much of hassle I will continue to look closer to home. Thank you all again.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #11

Confirm if first sold in ca as that is huge.

If first sold in ca then it met standards in place at time of that sale and all should be good if nobody modified it.

If a copy of any dmv paperwork remains from when it was registered in ca then it should be real easy.

The folks will likely need to to a look - see to check a few things but having documentation showing original sale in ca avoids most dmv confusion.

You may need to contact dmv via different route other than phone as that can be a mess.

Possibly via Web page where you can send a question to specific places.

If you live in ca and a local dmv is not too far away call and make an appointment to check it out.

Have the VIN and any ca documents like license available.

If the seller is claiming first sold in ca they should be able to provide some documentation.

At this appointment you can get confirmation of exactly what needs to be seen on the unit so seller can confirm via photo as well as discovering approximate cost to register plus smog or other requirements.

Then you can take this information and decide if yiu still wish to proceed as well as maybe a bargaining tool.

We have for work in the past imported vehicles from other states and it was very simple process so this one should be easy as well.

Tags
fuse