Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #1

Buying rv

I am looking around for a used Diesel, we plan to buy and then do some traveling g for a year or two. Been looking for something around $100,000 to $125,000. I really don't want to buy anything earlier than a 2006. I am scared that hoses will be dry rotted , other things will be in need of updating, am I crazy? I also really like the Tiffin's but they are expensive . Anyone have any suggesting. I want a diesel because I may end up doing more than just a year out there and when it comes to selling the unit the re-sell is higher with a diesel.
Thanks
Tom
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I think you're a bit crazy I can't tell you how many vehicles I've had 8 to 15 years old with original hoses and never had a problem. I would be more worried if the floor plan was right for us, if the tires were not too old (generally replace after 7 years regardless how they look), maintenance records, any water damage, all systems working, ect, ect.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom222 View Post
I am looking around for a used Diesel, we plan to buy and then do some traveling g for a year or two. Been looking for something around $100,000 to $125,000. I really don't want to buy anything earlier than a 2006. I am scared that hoses will be dry rotted , other things will be in need of updating, am I crazy? I also really like the Tiffin's but they are expensive . Anyone have any suggesting. I want a diesel because I may end up doing more than just a year out there and when it comes to selling the unit the re-sell is higher with a diesel.
Thanks
Tom
HI Tom...I did a quick search at MHSRV in Texas and they have quite a few that fall into your price range. Take a look as this would be a good starting point.

RVs for sale, New & Used motorhomes, New RVs, Texas RV Dealer
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom222,
Like clyon51 posted, floor plan sells the coach. Everything else is lower on the priority list. One pays more for a diesel and gets more on resale. Therefore, from that point of view, there is no diesel advantage. When looking for a coach consider:
1. floor plan
2. will the coach carry all your stuff and you (CCC or NCC)
3. will the coach tow what you want to tow (hitch rating and GCWR)
4. how is the roof
5. have the coach checked by an RVIA certified tech
6. have the chassis checked by an authorized service center for that chassis
7. Have the engine/tranny checked by an authorized service center for each component (usually the same service center)
8. Be prepared to replace:
8a. tires (date code)
8b. batteries (load test first)
8c. all automotive fluids and filters

My first coach was in 1978. All were gas powered except for the current coach. I was dragged kicking and screaming into my first diesel. I did it because of #2 and #3 mentioned above.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #5

Nothing wrong with setting a date cut off, but really, it is about condition. I bought a coach from Florida that at the time would have met your criteria. Lots of minor corrosion on hose connectors and electricals because of the humidity. Nothing terrible, just annoying.

You need to think about how it was stored, how often it was used, etc.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #6

I just want to say congratulations on your decision to buy. However let me tell you what I found out the hard way. NOTHING is more important than the dealer you are buying from, Nothing! All things being equal it is the dealers service that will make or break your deal. I bought a really high quality coach with all the emenities that I have always wanted and was talked into doing business with a RV dealer simply based on price. BIG MISTAKE. Research the dealer at least as much as you reaserch the coach you are looking to buy. In fact even more. I didn't and wish I could go back and change that.
condor918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I also think you are off base worrying about hoses. Like the others said, tires and batteries are more important. 22.5" tires are now $500-700 each. Most class A's have six and the tag axle coaches have eight tires. Let’s say you find a nice 2006 coach, but it has the original tires. You can spend $5000 on just tires!

Yes, floor plan is also important. However, 90% of the class A coaches have the living area up front along with the kitchen and the bathroom in the middle and the bedroom in the rear. Some of the new coaches now have a ½ bath in the middle and the master bath in the rear.

My recommendation is to go look at coaches. As many as you can! Look at friends, look at new, and look at used. You will learn from each one.

Now, with $125K to spend I would find a nice Monaco Dynasty with a tag axle. There are hundreds for sale and some are a very good buy right now.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #8

I think the age of the coach being considered should reflect the purchasers willingness/ability to work on the coach himself?

If lacking in those departments, newer is better, especially when warranties are involved.

Otherwise, there are a LOT of 50k coaches out there with a LOT of life left in them..... You could loose that much in depreciation on a 100-125k coach?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #9

Age is important, but condition should also be considered. If the owner maintains the coach, age may not be all that critical.
tishcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 PM   #10

One of the buying points to our 06MH purchase a couple of years ago was fact it had 2010 tires. I would recommend the same to you, as others have, check code. As to hoses, belts, fluids, and the like, if MH has been serviced by large truck center then these things were probably done in their service "point" system and hopefully there are records avaiable for you on coach. I have our MH, Freightliner chassis, serviced at Tyler Truck Center and many of your points of concern related to chassis are in the service package. Good luck on your purchase, I think you can find a very nice one near the $125K mark, maybe lower.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote