Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
Buying used class a motorhome

I have begun looking at used class a motorhomes. I am buying an RV to transport an ill relative to visit family around the country, so the bathroom is critical. I have looked at a 1998 Itasca Sun Cruiser 35c, 60K miles and a 1999 Damon "Daybreak"? 34 ft, basically the same mileage. Both are Ford powered both are asking $20K. I plan to have the local Ford dealer replace all oil and fluids, clean injectors service the a/c, service bearings and brakes and replace tires if needed before I hit the road for a 6-8K trip. I may keep the RV at the end of the trip or sell it, not sure yet. Any thoughts on which one to buy are appreciated.

dpc1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
Sure the DAYBREAK is a FORD?

My '99 DAYBREAK is a Chevy chassis...pre-Workhorse 454 engine 34' 3270 model that had 32K.

I paid $18K...it's was in very good shape...we improved on it with a continuing liteweight remodel job with $3K improvements so far. We've put 10K on it since February '13...no problems. I pull engine/chassis maintenance every 3K.

We really like the model as we were unsure we wanted to do the MH thing...this has turned-out to be a perfect entry level purchase.

2014 XLR 415AMP, 2011 F350 6.7 DRW, restored 82 Wing, 02 Shadow, 06 ST1300A, NRA Benefactors.
dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
that is what I was told, I will double check. Thanks
Old 02-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
I would be sure to check for any water damage/intrusion on the interior. What condition is the sealant/caulking on the roof. Any maintanence records available may help in the decision. Generally speaking, the Itasca brand is up the pecking order a bit from the Damon brand. However, what has happened over the last 15 years of service life my change all that. My first coach was a '97 Itasca Ford 460 w/full Banks system and was very pleased with it.

All the best as you prepare to make a memory making sojourn.

Note........ the laundry list of items you mentioned for a Ford dealer to do, would add up to a very nice chunk of change
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is interesting that both RV's under consideration are both still in production. The Daybreak was just merged into the Thor Motor Coach brand a few years ago. So, it is safe to say that neither is an engineered lemon.

The F53 in that era would just be the 2 valve per cylindar V10 vs. The newer 3 valve 365HP model...again equal offerings in both models.

The one to pick is the one the OP likes best and the one that requires the least work to get everything working. A "survey" is a smart idea for these 14-15 year old RV's, if the OP is not familiar with the mechanical details of RV's. A seller should allow this type inspection...if they don't, there is a problem.
A RV service center might offer this service or there are surveyors advertised on line.

Finally, there is no need to get the tires at a service center. Shop tire stores and look for RV club discounts because these tires are not cheap.
Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
What does "OP" stand for?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:34 AM   #7
Originally Posted by dpc1951 View Post
What does "OP" stand for?

"Original Poster"
1998 Rexhall Aerbus (32') F53-460
stisdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #8
We had a Damon Daybreak, 1996 (I think). We love the motorhome. One problem was the shower in the hallway was very narrow and we are tall, large adults. But the biggest reason we sold was the sewage. The toilet was not a direct drain down to the holding tank, there was a 90 degree elbow leading the evacuation to the other side of the camper before dropping into the holding tank. Bad, bad design. Alway clogging up. Dealership advised us to buy swim noodles and using those (one time each) to push the clog (solids) through! Now we ensure all toilets are above the tank!

blue eyes 55 is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, motorhome